Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

83 SW thermo or vac problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 83 SW thermo or vac problem...

It is an 83, 4x4, 22r, carb. A buddy of mine helped me replace timing components and head gasket. Unfortunately when it warmed up it started running poorly. After poking around my buddy discovered if he unplugged the green part in image below it would run fine when warm, but poorly when cold. I think this is the SW Thermo, but not sure. Also on the diagram I looked up for an 83 it shows 2 SW thermos and I only seem to have one. I guess it is also possible that I did not get one of the vacuum hoses hooked up in the right place... we kinda forgot to label them during the tear down. I hope the pics can help. Any guidance would be appreciated. (Hope it is clear that I don't have much of a mechanical background yet, so please excuse the ignorance )
Attached Thumbnails 83 SW thermo or vac problem...-dsc01214.jpg   83 SW thermo or vac problem...-dsc01213.jpg   83 SW thermo or vac problem...-dsc01215.jpg   83 SW thermo or vac problem...-dsc01217.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, not sure if my description was poor, if this problems is uninteresting, or if it is really just a stumper.

Added info: when I say "runs poorly" it has incomplete burn and does not idle smooth. It is also tending to get hot when run for a while. I am not sure it it is related to this problem, or if I need to flush the system. (it has also been in the high 90's here, so that could help explain it)

Simplified questions:

1) Does any one know if Toyota switched the vacuum system from having 1 SW thermo to 2 mid 1983?
2) Will it cause harm for me to run it with this switch unplugged? (basically incomplete burn when cold, but runs fine when warm)
3) Could this switch be related to the overheating?
4) is this switch a scrap yard find or could I order it somewhere... (also it is really just called a SW thermo?)

Many thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This post won't be too much assistance, but a few thoughts that might move the thread forward.

it might help to remove your air cleaner to get a better pic of which switch you have (for example, mine has more than 1 in that area).

Also: have you confirmed your truck is either CA, CAN, or 49 state emissions equipt? The emissions placard on the hood should say. That will make a difference for the components & schematics.