Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 4x4 Carb Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 4x4 Carb Help Please

The problem:

I can't get my truck started without physically pouring fuel into the carb, nor does it stay running after it fires up.

What I've checked:

I'm getting fuel from the gas tank to the carb, thus all filters, lines and pumps outside the carb are good.

I checked the floats and pumps in the carb; they all seem to be in good working repair.

I blew air through the carb so the channels in it should be clear.

I siphoned the old gas out and put in fresh premium gas.

What I have questions on:

I had this truck running a few years ago but had to let it sit for a while until the title cleared. Since then, I did get a vacuum diagram and hooked up all the lines, I can't remember if I ever had it running after the lines were hooked up. Could vacuum line cause this much of a problem?

================================================== ===============

I getting really discouraged here and would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you in advance for anything you may offer.

I'm going to go mill over my Chilton to see if there is something in there that might be helpful.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

i doubt it, mine would start and run (crappy) with the lines off or wrong, hell i dont even know if i got them all connected right now...its obviously not getting gas from the line from the pump, through the carb, and into the motor. rebuild the carb; it sat and it will get gunk in there and i doubt you can get it all without doing a rebuild. i finally ditched the stock carb after rebuilding it and it still ran crappy, went for the weber, best thing i ever did hope this helps
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM

yeah I just ordered a weber lol. I have one on my other yota and it's great. I'm done with that OEM POS...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
The OEM carbs are great, when in good working order. Way better than a Weber. But yeah, the key is "good working order". They're much more complicated than a Weber, so harder to get tuned if there's something wrong. When working correctly, they are vastly superior to a Weber, but I agree, for ease of trouble shooting and tuning, Weber is the way to go. Hope it solves your problems!

I will probably get a Weber sometime before too long, just to get rid of some more vacuum hoses.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM

On my 82 I had this problem but just rebuilt the stock carb and tuned it correctly and it runs like a top. My truck only had 6 vacuum lines total and they were simple. Truck started at -53 without being plugged in with the stock carb on it and never ever had a problem. Also I put a manual choke on it which made a world of difference as well. Hate the electric chokes.