Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22R with FJ60 Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 53 Posts
22R with FJ60 Power Steering Pump

It seems I have more questions than answers these days.

I decided it was time to rebuild my power steering pump. It was leaking at the front seal, groaning when it was cold and the fluid needed to be changed. One of the mounting bolts had a stripped head so it took about three times as long as should to remove. Had to pull the distributor, remove the whole mounting bracket then weld a nut onto the bolt. Anyhow, got the whole thing apart only to realize the seal kit that I had ordered was not going to work. I started doing some research and my pump looked nothing like others for 20R/22R. I finally determined that I in fact have a FJ60 power steering pump with a remote reservoir. Hoses have a date stamp of 1979!

It looks like rebuild kits are available and there are a number of threads out there detailing the process. Some say that it is difficult to rebuild because the bushings are not available and should be machined to match the shaft. The shaft seems solid. Near as I can tell it was only leaking at the front seal. Anyone have experience with this pump on a 22R? Overkill? Under powered? I've got 32" tires. I would just as soon rebuild than have to buy a new pump if possible.

Mounted in truck

Remote reservoir

In pieces

Diagram
Old 12-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
You ought to be able to clean it up and put the shaft back into the bushing and make a judgement about it's degree of wear.

If there's not too much slop, a new seal and o-rings, along with a good flushing and clean dextron juice should make it good again.

Most times, they just leak because the seal and o-rings harden and shrink. I just resealed one on my '95 Runner.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by millball
You ought to be able to clean it up and put the shaft back into the bushing and make a judgement about it's degree of wear.

If there's not too much slop, a new seal and o-rings, along with a good flushing and clean dextron juice should make it good again.

Most times, they just leak because the seal and o-rings harden and shrink. I just resealed one on my '95 Runner.
Thanks! Looks like autozone can get a rebuild kit in a day. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Alright, holidays are over and had a chance to get back to work on the truck. I got the correct seal kit, cleaned the pump and put it all back together.

I've got a couple of issues. Two leaks remain. One at the main oil seal and one at the end of the flow control valve/spring seat. Both are very small and were leaking before the rebuild. Other than make a mess, how do these leaks effect pump performance?

Second issue. I think I have air in the system. Steering will be fine, then it won't. I jacked up the front and turned the wheels back and forth 25+ times with the engine idling. Bubbles would burp and I would add more fluid. Then I drove it and repeated. I've done this twice now. Should I keep repeating? Am I missing something?
Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by millball

Question for you millball, do you recall which direction you installed the slipper plates? Did you put the solid side on the leading or trailing side?

It exploded on me when I took it apart so could not tell which way they were. I found some conflicting info on the forums. Some said it did not matter, some said the solid side goes on the leading edge. That's how I did it.