Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1983 Window glass seal leak?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1983 Window glass seal leak?

Had the glass shop replace the front glass seal again because a water leak. They didnt charge me because they said it was there fault that water is still leaking in. Now a month later same leak same area behind the glove box area. Is it possible water is leaking through the slotted vents that sit right in of glass and windshield wiper arms? Im going cazy!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by joesgarage
Had the glass shop replace the front glass seal again because a water leak. They didnt charge me because they said it was there fault that water is still leaking in. Now a month later same leak same area behind the glove box area. Is it possible water is leaking through the slotted vents that sit right in of glass and windshield wiper arms? Im going cazy!
That is the "cowl" between the windshield and hood. It could be leaking past a grommet, thru the fresh air intake for the climate control, or could have rusted through.

Other not obvious sources of water there are the AC drain, which you probably aren't running this time of year, and a sunroof drain.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
That is the "cowl" between the windshield and hood. It could be leaking past a grommet, thru the fresh air intake for the climate control, or could have rusted through.

Other not obvious sources of water there are the AC drain, which you probably aren't running this time of year, and a sunroof drain.
is that a easy fix?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Not simple unless it's a grommet out of place, or the ac drain hose needs put back in place to drain outside the cab.

I think the cowl comes off without removing the fenders, just the wipers arms and some body screws. Clean out any sediment then once you have eyes on it look for gaping holes, note any place puddles may be forming.

Water entering the cowl thru the vents should run off to the side, then down and exit through channels located between the back side of the tire and the front edge of the door..

Sorry no pictures.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Not simple unless it's a grommet out of place, or the ac drain hose needs put back in place to drain outside the cab.

I think the cowl comes off without removing the fenders, just the wipers arms and some body screws. Clean out any sediment then once you have eyes on it look for gaping holes, note any place puddles may be forming.

Water entering the cowl thru the vents should run off to the side, then down and exit through channels located between the back side of the tire and the front edge of the door..

Sorry no pictures.
i dont have a sunroof. The truck has been sitting for the last week in the rain. The leak is coming behind the glove box.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

And you don't see the water leak in the gap between the window and dash pad?

Has to be coming thru the cowl, almost certainly.

There are the drain holes I mentioned before, top of the cowl and under the fender. You will maybe need to clean these out.

If they are clogged that cowl area will flood and can overflow the air intake I mentioned. If your leak is thru the fresh air intake the water will seap thru the climate control system.

If it's not visible between the dash and window, and running down the firewall not seaping out of the heater box or blower. I'm sorry to say it's probably a rust hole and going to take some metal/body work.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 AM

This post, has good photos.

Essentially you're going to have the tear into the dash to see exactly where it is flowing in at. Once you have located the highest wet spot inside you will need to attack it from the outside to seal it up.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 PM

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 PM

cowl removel

Sorry no pictures.
I dont see how the cowl would come off. Looks like its welded in and the lip of it is tucked under the window shield ruuber seal. Looks like im going to have to remove the right fender.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:49 PM

cowl repair pictures

1983 Window glass seal leak?-cowl.jpg1983 Window glass seal leak?-cowl1.jpg1983 Window glass seal leak?-cowl2.jpg1983 Window glass seal leak?-cowl3.jpg

I found this from another member who did a repair job im dreading to do....
Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 PM

That's the thread I linked or at least the photos I was point to.

Sorry mate it's subzero out I'm not that hard core. I bet Terry or someone has the pics to point you to the removal. It's definitely not welded in, or I'll eat my shorts just soon as I change into clean ones bwahaha.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 PM

Cowl removal thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...emoval-287243/

Three screws and two snap clips.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the info, but that's showing 88 truck. My cowl is tucked under the rubber seal of the windshield.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joesgarage
My cowl is tucked under the rubber seal of the windshield.
And it's also welded to the cab. I went out and took a look at my '82. The cowl cover is not removable like it is on '84 and later.

I'd remove the fender to see things from the outside. Look for dried out/peeling/missing seam sealer, as well as rust-thru. Be sure to get a good look at it from the inside, too, up under the dash. Unhook the insulation and peel it back so you get a view of the bottom of the airbox, where it attaches to the firewall and to the side. Once you get a clear view pour water over that area of the cab and then look inside for where the water's coming in.

I've attached a picture that shows the area from the inside on my '82. Can't see much with the insulation in the way, but that's the bottom of the airbox in the upper half of the image.
Attached Thumbnails 1983 Window glass seal leak?-air_box.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM

I might be going this route if I find to much damage.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 AM

Cowl leak

so I taped up the cowls with duck tape. And still getting leak in cab walls, behind glove box and behind instrument panel. I must have some pretty bad rust issues. Guess fenders are coming off to see damage.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 AM

A pillars wet?

A pillar trim will hide a possible leak from above, which could make the kick panel wall wet above the wiring cutouts and the under cowl junctions. Not sure exactly on the 83 but those should come off pretty easily and you can get eyes on a possible leak from the gutter/drip-rail area.

sorry to say it pretty much comes down to getting eyes on stuff to see how far up you'll need to chase the leak.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:26 PM

Found problem

It was missing a grommet, so water was gushing in.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Congrats on finding the culprit! Do you have a pic of which grommet just in case someone in the future has this problem?
Old 07-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Found it

the one for the antenna wire!!!

Search this Thread