Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 Toyota pickup seat belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 Toyota pickup seat belt replacement

The driver side seat belt in my truck works fine but the belt is frayed badly and needs replacing. I am wondering if it is best to replace the webbing or the whole unit. I haven't a clue how to do either. I can't tell how to remove the top connection to the side of the truck for beginners. Has anyone had to deal with this before and can add some suggestions? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Wid

Well if the top part you're referring to has a little plastic cover on it, and the steel ring that belt goes through, you can just pop that little plastic cover off with your hands, or a flat head screwdriver. I don't remember the bolt size off the top of my head but when I stripped my interior I had to remove the buckles, and the belt assembly entirely. It's a 17mm bolt for the top behind and above the seat, and should be the same size for the bolt down below near the floor on the wall. Just take a good look at it, because it's a very simple job. The bolts may or may not need some sort of a penetrating oil like WD40's recent addition, or PB Blaster. Anything that will work it's way down deep into the threads.

Best of luck! You shouldn't have any issues.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Wid

And as far as the seat belt goes, you'll usually replace the entire unit, not just the belt itself. I'd look for a parts yard, or ebay. Someone on here might even be able to work out a deal with you. I still need a tan passenger side buckle, cause I accidentally threw mine away one night in the dark when I was replacing my entire cab.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wid
Well if the top part you're referring to has a little plastic cover on it, and the steel ring that belt goes through, you can just pop that little plastic cover off with your hands, or a flat head screwdriver. I don't remember the bolt size off the top of my head but when I stripped my interior I had to remove the buckles, and the belt assembly entirely. It's a 17mm bolt for the top behind and above the seat, and should be the same size for the bolt down below near the floor on the wall. Just take a good look at it, because it's a very simple job. The bolts may or may not need some sort of a penetrating oil like WD40's recent addition, or PB Blaster. Anything that will work it's way down deep into the threads.

Best of luck! You shouldn't have any issues.
Thanks for a good explanation of dis-assembly. That top piece was the one I was concerned about as I tried prying it loose but I did not use a lot of force, not being sure if there was a trick to its removal.
I am sure if I removed the assembly I would have to take it to an authorized location for replacing the webbing. I think it would be easier to find a used one to replace this one. Easier for me to do, not necessarily to find one. I guess I should start another thread to locate one in the appropriate category.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wid
And as far as the seat belt goes, you'll usually replace the entire unit, not just the belt itself. I'd look for a parts yard, or ebay. Someone on here might even be able to work out a deal with you. I still need a tan passenger side buckle, cause I accidentally threw mine away one night in the dark when I was replacing my entire cab.
Well, If I get lucky and find a replacement then maybe I have the buckle you need on my old one I'll replace. It is tan, but is for the drivers' side if that matters.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Wid

Yeah they're universal but we're pretty far from one another. I got a message from someone earlier about a tan buckle, so I might work out something with him because shipping would be cheaper, and I might even be able to meet up with him when I pass through Oregon on my trip home to Washington. But I might have to message you if that doesn't work out.

As far as the actual seatbelt assembly goes, you would be much better off trying to find a used one, I can't imagine having it repaired would be a very cheap job, but I don't know for sure on that.

But what color are you looking for? I can always look around for you and post up a link on anything I find. This site has a good classified section, and you will probably have a decent chance at finding one here just by making a post looking for one.

Last edited by Wid; 01-21-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wid
Yeah they're universal but we're pretty far from one another. I got a message from someone earlier about a tan buckle, so I might work out something with him because shipping would be cheaper, and I might even be able to meet up with him when I pass through Oregon on my trip home to Washington. But I might have to message you if that doesn't work out.

As far as the actual seatbelt assembly goes, you would be much better off trying to find a used one, I can't imagine having it repaired would be a very cheap job, but I don't know for sure on that.

But what color are you looking for? I can always look around for you and post up a link on anything I find. This site has a good classified section, and you will probably have a decent chance at finding one here just by making a post looking for one.
Oh, sorry. I meant if I find a used set I would have an extra. I have a beige one now. But I redid my interior with two toned greys and blue, so if I find a different color than beige that would look good, that would be alright. Hopefully that will work out for you with the contact you found. I did some research several months ago and found a couple of places that will do the rewebbing with a great color selection. I will have to do that research again. It was less than $100 as I remember. I saw exactly what I needed on ebay in pretty good shape but it was almost $90 w/shipping and he was firm. It did not include the buckle. If I were to pay that much I would go with new webbing.