Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1979 20R 2WD project.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Your jets will be plenty close enough to run, might want to tweak later, but should run fine from the factory. I warned you about the 2 piece. If the gasgets aren't too screwed up you could re-use them, or get new , or get a sheet of gasget material and cut your own. Then use some rtv or similar (one that's gas resistant) and put a decent film on both sides of the gasgets and try again. Also check that your float level is correct, could be too "high" and causing flooding. You should get it to run without the FPR, it just does better with it. Some people have had success with the cheap PFR's, others didn't, I got the Redline/weber one previously noted cuz you get what you pay for.

I have some concerns about your carb being "legit" also. All the "real" webers I've seen have the underlined W in the casting (not what looks like a sticker in the pic) and they aren't polished. I don't know if that's a factor, just something I noticed. Hope you didn't get screwed. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah bingle you were right on about those adapters. I doubt I can reuse them if gas got on them right? As far as getting screwed from webercarbsdirect, I believe your right but I heard there hard to get refunds from.
What stinks is I remember somebody referring them and redline. I should've went redline.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Redline is usually where I get my Weber stuff from too. I just assumed weberdirect was legit.....but I've never done business with them.

Well your gaskets should be alright if they aren't soaked and torn. They have probably dried out by now anyway.

I got mine running and idling again. Still messing around with the regulator.

Main air corrector 210/200
Fuel 65/55
Idle 60/50

Every number is a jet. The bigger number is the 38mm. Those jets go on the left as you are looking at it under the Hood.

You might be able to make it work with 190/180 but I don't have those air correction jets.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 11-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Ok I finally got her to do a nice idle with the settings above. From what I'm gathering though you should be able to get at least a rough idle from your settings.

Check your timing. Webers do like some pretty advanced timing. I have mine set at 8 and I think I am going back to 12 or so advanced. I think this might be your mystical problem.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Dang it now i gotta try to find a step by step on how to adjust my timing. Im kinda leaning towards fixin that carb adapter issue first. I feel that's why it's stalling on me. It didn't stall with the stock carb. I think I wanna go with the trans adapter
Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by d-wood
Dang it now i gotta try to find a step by step on how to adjust my timing. Im kinda leaning towards fixin that carb adapter issue first. I feel that's why it's stalling on me. It didn't stall with the stock carb. I think I wanna go with the trans adapter
Way to go bro!! I'm glad it's coming together for you.
Your probally excited.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Oops wrong quote.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I still have the stock adapter from weber. The stock gasket are worthless. I went out and got some different gasket material from my local parts store. The gasket material I got was made by Mr.gasket the gasket material is about 2-3 mm thick. I cut out my own gaskets. I also you some copper spray to help seal.

One more think to get is the four bolts on the top plate. Make sure there not going down to far. they can make the plate rise when you sung the bolt down.

This what i used
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0488&ppt=C0137
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=copper+spray
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM

I'm happy to be able to drive her again. I love driving my old rickety yota around making lots of noise and going nowhere fast lol. I still have a serious flat spot though that I will have to iron out. It feels like my fuel jets should either be within 5 of each other or exactly the same. Smells rich on idle too so I might be adjusting those a little as well.

That's not a bad idea Rollz. At least it seems like it would work well enough to save some pennies in his pocket till he can get the one piece and other improvements.

As far as step by steps go.....can't go wrong with a chilton manual or getting your hands on the FSM. I might have one somewhere on my computer but I haven't printed it out yet. That's where a lot of us in the forums get our info from and also where some of the mods come from as well.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 11-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KryptoRoxx
I'm happy to be able to drive her again. I love driving my old rickety yota around making lots of noise and going nowhere fast lol. I still have a serious flat spot though that I will have to iron out. It feels like my fuel jets should either be within 5 of each other or exactly the same. Smells rich on idle too so I might be adjusting those a little as well.

That's not a bad idea Rollz. At least it seems like it would work well enough to save some pennies in his pocket till he can get the one piece and other improvements.

As far as step by steps go.....can't go wrong with a chilton manual or getting your hands on the FSM. I might have one somewhere on my computer but I haven't printed it out yet. That's where a lot of us in the forums get our info from and also where some of the mods come from as well.
I had the same flat spot your are talking about. I changed my main jet and re set the floats.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM

At this point a flat spot might not be that bad since the dang joker wont crank.
I do have a Haynes manual.

Last edited by d-wood; 11-08-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding so I dont use unneccary space for another post
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe this is a FSM for your truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Toyota-...49ac7c&vxp=mtr
Old 11-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
I believe this is a FSM for your truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Toyota-...49ac7c&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the link. Also I can get it to crank. Cross that last post I said, cause it just stalls after running.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM

can you make a vid. it might be able to use help you a little bit more.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rollz79
can you make a vid. it might be able to use help you a little bit more.
Sure will, after I get it installed with either the new gaskets or just the one piece adapter. I think Ill go with the one piece so I can be done with it.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM

Found this post on some Weber 38 tuning help. There is some VERY useful info here. Explains all of my problems I am currently having and it should help you too man.

Quoted by TrevortheTrekker (thanks man. This really opened my eyes on the damn Weber lol)

Hey buddy, got your PM.

First off, the number one thing you can do to better match your Weber to your 22R is to ensure that you have no vacuum leaks. The stock adapter plates which come with the Redline 38 / 22R kit are complete crap.

Rating: Negative 5 stars out of five.

Who sells CAST IRON ADAPTER PLATES, with threaded rods as studs!? No matter the quality of gasket or RTV that you throw on there, they will never seal properly. Maybe for like two minutes, but as soon as the engine heats up, the plates expand, the studs move, and now you have an air leak. No thanks.

This is mostly important because as you tune your engine, it will be changing temperature, and as temperature changes, so does the severity of your vacuum leaks. You could be getting a huge leak when you first start, only to have it seal up once you're up to temperature. Or vice versa, you could have no leaks at startup, only to have a huge one at temp. This can be a huge nuisance and is definitely something to take into considerations.

I have seen threads on here where people have machined the plates down properly, then added real locking studs. This is fine if you're on a budget, but if you already splurged on the Weber 38, just spend the $250 to get the matching Offenhauser intake manifold: http://www.lceperformance.com/Downdr...-p/1032060.htm

Words can't describe the performance increase I have seen from bolting on this manifold. I now see why people love them so dearly.

NOW, that you don't have any nasty vacuum leaks...

The Weber carbs can be a beech to tune, but as long as you know the tricks, they will run better than stock.

The main thing you need to know is that you MUST stay in the range of needle adjustment that Weber specifies in the manual. Here is a quote from the Weber tuning website which is a MANDATORY read if you want it to run right. Don't just read it; understand it:

If the mixture screw is more than 1 1/2 turns out turns then the Idle jet is too lean (too small). When the mixture screw is ½ turn or less, then the Idle jet is too rich (too large). These assumptions are based on the fact that the speed screw setting is not opened more than 1/2 turn in.

(http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tec...as_tunning.htm)

What they don't tell you, and you need to know, is that if your mixture screw is more than 1.5 turns out, fuel will actually be DRIPPING past your mixture screws, instead of being atomized through the ports. This leads to very inaccurate fuel metering, where it will be hard to tell if you're running too rich or too lean, since the mixture will be continuously changing.

Along with that, the speed screw setting is just as equally as sensitive. If the speed screw is adjusted more than 1.5 turns in, then the throttle plate / butterfly valve will move away from the transition ports in the venturi. This means that not only is there fuel coming from the idle port, but also the transition ports, so now you have even more fuel dumping into your carb.

When I first got my 38, I didn't really understand this, and I just kept backing out the screws since she was lean, until she ran somewhat OK, but I was still disappointed. Finally after READING and UNDERSTANDING the instructions, I realized I needed a jet kit. After enrichening the jets and re-tuning, she runs better than ever.

BUY A JET KIT: http://www.lceperformance.com/Weber-...-p/1035006.htm

These are way too expensive and should come standard with the carbs, as they are absolutely essential to proper operation. The jets that come with the carbs are ALWAYS too lean. This is mainly because they engineered the Weber carbs before they started messing with our fuel supply. Fuels nowadays run much more lean than they did 10 years ago.

Another thing I have noticed that has helped during this long quest of tuning my 38/22R is to advance the timing. Right now if I remember correctly, I'm around 5 degrees advanced. She still runs the same around 10, but as soon as I put her back to zero, she runs pretty rough. I have seen the same for other people with Webers; that they need to advance the timing a bit.

One last reminder about Webers: get a good fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge, and stay under 3 psi! Any more pressure, the fuel will be forced past your float needle, which will overfill your bowl, which will mean you're running rich yet again.

In conclusion, note that Webers con be finicky if you don't know their flaws. However once you understand what every part does, and how they all affect each other, Webers can be the simplest, best performing and most reliable carburetors for the 22R.

No vacuum leaks, proper jets, proper tuning, proper timing, proper fuel pressure. All errors in these areas are due to operator error. For those who say that Webers suck... You're doing it to yourself.

I can't stress enough; READ AND UNDERSTAND the tuning guide:

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tec...as_tunning.htm

This can definitely be some confusing stuff if you're new to tinkering, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just take the time to understand, and you'll be set!

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions!
I think Yotatech might benefit from a Weber tech forum and collect all of the info for these wonderfully frustrating carbs that work so well for us.....when they run right. All the info and tuning tips I have gathered from around Yotatech but it would be nice if it were to be collected up in one forum since there are a few of us that recognize true beauty in a rust bucket project we got from someone else....and wanna keep it old school.

Speaking of which I found a completely off-topic but thought provoking idea. Google helped me out a bit but there are a precious few that have taken the 3rz-fe back to a carb setup....I thought it was really cool.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
This should definitely at least be included in dropzone's sticky of tips/tricks etc, if not the beginning of a weber carb FAQ, like you mentioned.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Awesome. Thankyou!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have a weber but that is an impressive write up. Hopefully that will get you running d-wood.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM

I hope that works for ya man! I followed it and I have a nice even idle on my truck without blowing rich or lean. Ended up with larger jets than what it ships with though. Engine felt like it had new life to it.....then I almost ran out of gas because I was tuning it for too long.

Quick Reply: 1979 20R 2WD project.