Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1976 Toyota Chinook Won't Start!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 1976 Toyota Chinook Won't Start!?

Soo my 1976 Toyota Chinook hasnt let me down, until now.

I knew the starter was acting up as sometimes it wouldnt turn or click. So when I was just getting ready to put it into storage she let the smoke, or I thought?

So now when I turn they key the lights come on and everything seems fine. Engaging the starter causes everything to turn off. Maybe a short?

Thought it was the starter that was done, so I replaced it.

Same thing??

Any ideas as to why she goes black when I hit the starter?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m assuming you tested the battery? I hate to ask but you never know
Old 10-25-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey Barlow
I’m assuming you tested the battery? I hate to ask but you never know
Good Start ^^^^^^^^. Check battery charge. Check battery positive and ground connections for corrosion and tightness. Sounds like there is enough juice to have dash lights to come on with key ON, but when engaging the starter the charge goes to Zero
Old 10-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know if this applies to pre 84 Toyota but . . . I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be the 30+ year old wiring at the starter switch. The factory corrected the issue by adding a relay starting in 86 or so. I did an upgrade (added a relay) and no problems since. If all else is good the search the later forums for "starter relay" - find the posts by RAD4Runner (electrical guru). It is a pretty easy upgrade.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
What do you mean by " Engaging the starter causes everything to turn off"?

Do the gauge cluster lights come back on after you let go of the key after turning the key to START (key returns to ON position)?

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?

First thing I would check is the battery. How old is it? What is the battery voltage with everything off? It should be around 12.6V. What is the battery voltage while trying to crank the engine?

Nothing else will work properly if the battery is at the end of its life and can no longer put out the amperage required by the starter.

The next things I would check are the connections from the positive and negative terminals on the battery to the main positive and negative cables. Then check the main (big) wire going from the battery positive terminal to the starter motor. Also check the ground connection going from the engine block back to the battery. Do you see any corrosion or wire damage?

Check for loose connections, corrosion, and damaged wiring.

If all of those check out fine, you probably have a problem with the ignition switch, starter solenoid circuit. We can help you with diagnosing this circuit once we know the health of the main electrical components above.

The main takeaway is to test components and replace only what has found to be bad. Otherwise you could be throwing time and money replacing perfectly good components.

Last edited by old87yota; 10-25-2018 at 12:56 PM.