Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Craigslist welder, good deal or not?

Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Craigslist welder, good deal or not?

I have been looking for a mig welder for a while now, I only have experience with oxy-acetylene welding. I have thought about taking a class at the local community college but have yet to find one that fits in with my work schedule.

I found this Hobart Beta Mig 250 welder on craigslist

Quote-
Hobart Beta Mig 250 120V-575V Mig welder **Works Perfectly** w/full 75cf tank and 1/2 roll carbon steel wire.
*****Cash Only!!!!******

I emailed him and asked what year it was as I have found that this is a fairly old model before Hobart was sold and he replied saying he doesnt know the year, he bought it from a friend a few years ago and has used it to build a couple of trailers with it. He also said there is no problems at all but it is in storage so I don't think I would be able to test it out at all. What do you guys think about it? I don't have a ton of money to drop on a nice new machine and would like in the future to be able to do some fab work on my truck so I don't have to go all the way to my brother in laws to get stuff done (about 50 miles away).
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I have my own rule for used equipment If I can not test weld with it or get a iron clad money back warranty I pass.

Also depends on how and where it was stored damp buildings and rodents can raise havoc when storing welders and other equipment.

Not for nothing if you are unable to wire weld and do not know what it should do at what times . It is pretty hard to know it works like it should.

If you look at this just like a vehicle overall condition . I would pull the covers look if the connections are corroded.

used welders are a regional thing but untested I really would not pay more than scrap price. Then I really don`t need another welder either.

Do you take the sellers word and hope for the best or pass it all comes back to your decision
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Well I bought the welder, everything looks to be in good shape othrr than the tip. I got it for $500 with a full bottle and a money back guarantee if it doesn't work, I didn't get to play with it yet as my 220 outlet is different from the plug.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Well by now you should have fired that toy up and be burning wire!!!

Well don`t keep us wondering!!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

It works, I made an extension cord for it to match my hot tub outlet, everything works, I tacked a piece of metal but still need to get a helmet and some practice steel. My mom has been in town so I havent gotten the chance yet.