Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Spartan Locker ( SL T8-30 ) toyota 8" 4cy -Front diff.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Spartan Locker ( SL T8-30 ) toyota 8" 4cy -Front diff.

SPARTAN LOCKER FRONT DIFF- 1982 TOYOTA SHORT BED, L45 TRANS STOCK GEAR RATIO

I've had this Spartan in my rebuilt front 3rd for close to 6 months now. I had Zuk install it & rebuild my 3rd while I rebuilt the remainder of the front diff & replaced all steering components so everything from inner tire to inner tire was replaced except ring & pinion.

I had wheeled this truck lightly in mud & general trail rides & it did ok but not great. The tires are really to wide ( 31x13.50-15's super swampers ) so it floated a lot on loose gravel & debris without weight in the bed. I had always wanted a locker front & rear so I ordered 2 Spartans off ebay @ $252.00 each after talking to a million guys & getting the opinion of Zuk. 1 for each diff & he installed the front first. I wanted a selectable locker but couldn't afford them and this seemed my best route

I had a certain hill my truck had difficulty going up before on a local trail & went out to try it with the new spartan up front . This time it just crawled right up it no spinning & zero problems. This pickup doesn't have power steering & turning while locked requires both hands ( and arms ) if at low speeds & that does suck alot in tight spaces

I hear people talking about the sounds when locked & turning corners where it unloads but I can't hear mine probably because other noises drown it out but it's super quiet. I don't drive with my front engaged on dry pavement either so maybe that's why. It locks quick & Zuk said it was the strongest rachet/automatic type locker of the field.

After living with it I decided not to install the 2nd Spartan in the rear because I think I'll save up and buy a selectable locker for it since I drive this truck daily & sometimes on icy roads where a Spartan really isn't perfect, maybe I'd get use to it but lifes short & I think an arb or E locker would be better for my style of driving mixed with road time. The 2nd one is at Zuks shop in Chandler Arizona waiting on someone to need it so I can recoup some of my $ on it & it can be put to work

All in all it does it's job effectively & quietly & the added traction really is awesome and the places I can go now without having to rip on the truck are much more open. I regret not going to 4.88's or 5.29's while the 3rd was out but you live and learn.

So that's my little short review of the Spartan.

Spartan front diff.

@Zuk's

Rebuilt 3rd info

I had never even put bearings in a diff before. Low Range Offroad videos on Youtube saved the day!

What a mess

Took hours to clean up this pig

Need new front springs

Last edited by ToyOkie78; 03-21-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Time frame of running spartan
Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Spartan review

1st hog hunt with new locker in front, before always had to hike into this area because of steep rocky hills

Little hill is really much steeper than the pic makes it look, sadly before the Spartan I had to get a run to climb it, after it walks up it

Good old extra tacky grease Uni-Lube 886 ( no longer made ) used to repack everything
Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 PM

People seem to hate Walmart \"superTech" oils & lubes but I've had great results from it. Running the full synt. in both diffs