Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

RUD Grip 4x4 Chains (from tirechaindealer.com)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RUD Grip 4x4 Chains (from tirechaindealer.com)

With winter here I wanted to post a review about some chains I just picked up from Brian @ tirechaindealer.com

I went with the RUD Grip 4x4 chains (2532) which seem to fit a wide array of over-sized tires, and came highly recommended from off-road "godfather", Bill Burke (article HERE). The ones I got are made in Germany, and seem to be very well constructed (not some cheap-o Schwab cables) beefy 5.5mm links.

I went with (2) sets, so 4 Chains TOTAL for all 4 tires. I figured I will be in 4WD if in the snow, so I wanted max traction at each tire. I can clear the front suspension components with chains on, but may need to do a cab-mount chop and trim some more of the fenders if I plan on stuffing the wheels on any obstacles.

Installation was easy, even in the snow on the trails. Just make sure to re-check and re-tighten the tensioner after about 1/4 mile of driving.

Some Taco buddies and I took a trip to Evans Creek on Sunday, and hit about 6" of fresh snow towards the end of 520 trail. With the temp dropping below 31°, it was starting to get slick. Trying to wheel up hill-climbs, through S-Curves, over boulders, and around ledges was proving to be pretty damn hard, especially with our longer wheelbase rigs on trails meant for small Jeeps.

My MT/Rs were doing WORK in the mud and rock, and were holding up well in the snow. My buddy behind me was running aggressive ATs, but he was spinning out on the slightest incline, so I slapped a set of chains on the rear. He was ready to plow forward after that. Great traction, and much more confidence to finish out the trail.

We also had an older '92 Yota with us: lunchbox locker, low-tread MTs, no chains, nothing in the bed, 5-spd. No real recovery points on the truck, and almost no recovery gear. In short, he was not prepared for snow driving safely.

This kid rolled his truck at the beginning of the trail, and once we hit snow, he almost went over the mountain 3 different times. The last time, we were about 1/4 mile from the end of 520 Trail and he slips nose-first over the edge. It seemed like a bad rollover was inevitable. I had to go down the trail until I could find a wide-enough spot to turn around, and head back so I could winch him out. We also had to hook up my buddies winch (who was running behind this guy). After hours (literally 5+ hours) of winching, re-rigging, finding suitable trees, re-snatching, and proceeding as safely as possible, we got him back on the trail and headed out.

We got back on the logging access road at about 4:30am. By this time, we were all cold, wet, and tired. Since there was almost no tree-cover on the logging road, the snow was significantly deeper (10"-12"). I really wanted to test the chains, so I took it out of 4WD and plowed through the snow like a hot knife through butter. The RUD Grip 4x4 chains provided excellent traction and a tight/snug fit; no chains smacking my fenders, just easy confident driving.

My buddy who used the other set said he used to hate chains, and was a "Non-believer". After using the RUDs, he is gonna be ordering a set too! They are just awesome chains.

Talk to Brian @ tirechaindealer.com. I received the chains in 3 business days (including Thanksgiving) and he has the best price I could find. Great communication, and he gives you incentives to actually make some money back by helping grow his business. I will gladly sponsor his company and these chains after using them and getting great service!!!

Hopefully you guys found my review helpful, and will consider getting a set of RUDs for this winter season. It will make wheeling in the snow safer, and more enjoyable.

*Make sure to spray your chains with WD-40 (or something similar) after each use to avoid rust.

Last edited by Benson X; 12-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Just a follow-up. I let Brian know about the reviews and recommendations I have been sending his way, and he refunded $40 to my credit card as a "Thank You".

Awesome guy, great company, and badass chains.

If any of you guys are thinking about getting chains or cables this season, get in touch with Brian!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rud Grip are an Ok chain, I guess. There made more for the ease of putting them on more than having a dependable chain...but the learning curve of putting chains on is pretty quick. The Rud Grip is just to light duty of a chain, you need at least a 5mm or 3/8 so you don't snap them when reversing or going over ruff roads.

I use the Aquiline Talon 6mm truck chains. They get you in and out and you don't have to worry about breaking them.

Once you break your Rud's...you can move up to the big boy chains.

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/Sh...06mm%20Studded
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM

The RUDs are 5.5mm links with a diamond-design for better lateral traction than normal cross-chains. Granted this is my first set, so I cannot give a completely unbiased opinion, but they look mighty beefy to me and I don't anticipate intentionally breaking them soon (they better last me a few years)

I do agree, they are intended as a great middle-of-the road "starter" chain for the price, and they very easy to throw on. Those Talons look pretty damn tough too, I bet you get better traction on hard-pack/ice with those studs.

*Just did a price check for fun...$380 for (2) sets shipped

Last edited by Benson X; 12-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Like everything in life...you get what you pay for.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with snobdds. Those aren't anything special. I've driven with the EXACT same style of chains(I own a pair that were given to me). But I also have a pair of "Real" Heavy Duty chains(ladder style) that I've driven with too(also freebies). And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, the ladder style will get you in/out of MUCH deeper/gnarlier stuff with FAR more ease. Lateral traction isn't non-existent with them either(better than no chains or fricken measly studs). In fact you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference there between them(especially since it's rarely an issue at all with either style). As far as traction to keep the wheels from spinning though, the diamond style(with the smaller/weaker chain links) SUCKS in comparison.

These good

These better

http://tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM

I appreciate the input guys. I agree that there may be better options out there depending on the application, what you need them for, and your budget.

I'm not trying to tout these as being the "BEST CHAINS EVAHHH!!!", but in my case they worked great and the price was affordable.

The purpose of my review was not a comparison, but to share my experience with these particular chains and where I purchased them from. I have only used them once in fresh powder, so after I get a chance to use them more and in different terrain, my opinion might change or stay the same. Hoping for more snow in the PNW this winter!!!

Hopefully some of you will find this review useful, or at least use it to further research different chain options.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
The chains Benson mentioned are great for general use.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 AM

And your cost for the RUDs?

Originally Posted by Benson X
The RUDs are 5.5mm links with a diamond-design for better lateral traction than normal cross-chains. Granted this is my first set, so I cannot give a completely unbiased opinion, but they look mighty beefy to me and I don't anticipate intentionally breaking them soon (they better last me a few years)

I do agree, they are intended as a great middle-of-the road "starter" chain for the price, and they very easy to throw on. Those Talons look pretty damn tough too, I bet you get better traction on hard-pack/ice with those studs.

*Just did a price check for fun...$380 for (2) sets shipped
So for comparison sake, what did you pay for the 2 sets of RUDs?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 AM

After all was said and done it was $171 for both sets (incl. 2-day shipping)