Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Dyna Beads for tires = Good Stuff

Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyna Beads for tires = Good Stuff

I just installed my set of Dyna Beads from innovative balancing this weekend and all I can say is WOW! I have been trying to have my tires balanced correctly now for a while and they would get them pretty close until the sticky weights would fly off somewhere on the highway.

I was going to order a set of centramatic balancers, but the guy from their company said they probably wouldn't fit our wheels because they would make contact with the brake calipers.

I had also read about Equal balancing product, but had read that they are very prone to clumping in the tire which would throw them off even worse.

I decided to order a set of the dyna beads which are a set of small ceramic beads (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm). Installing them wasn't that bad, just very time consuming as the beads would keep getting stuck in the valve stem.

Once I hit the road, they seemed to do their job admirably. I haven't been up to speeds above 65 mph yet, so once I do I will give another review. They make the ride smooth as glass just like they advertise.

I have to admit I was nervous about them making the ride worse with clumping and such, but so far so good. I would highly recommend trying them to anyone that has problems balancing their tires completely.

Sorry for the long post. Let me know if there are any more questions.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

do you need to use a special air dryer so that it doesnt clump becasue of moisture liek equal can?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM

My guess is since they are ceramic they are less prone to clumping. I know when I installed them the compressor I was using to re-inflate the tires didn't put out any moisture with the air. I haven't had any adverse effects yet (like clumping) that I know about.

The real test will be when I get up to around 70 mph on the highway.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

it didnt put out any moisture, how do you know this, its not something you can see, especially when filling up the tire....
Old 04-12-2005, 06:20 AM

No, I guess I don't know this for a fact. I did however turn the compressor on and let it blow air on to my hand for a few minutes to see if any moisture was present. My hands never got wet from the air so I assumed that none was coming out.

I haven't had any shaking or clumping issues as of yet. So far so good.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

From their website:
If there's moisture in my tires, will it stop the beads from performing properly?

You mean will it clump? Dyna Beads® are a perfectly round, uniform surface, and are extremely resistant to clumping.
...and because they are 100% solid ceramic, they don't rust!

Please let em know how well these do at higher speeds. So to use these use jsut simply mount the tires with a bag in each tire and do you don't need to balance at all at teh tire shop? I'm sick of my tires vibrating.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by unr.frosh
From their website:
If there's moisture in my tires, will it stop the beads from performing properly?

You mean will it clump? Dyna Beads® are a perfectly round, uniform surface, and are extremely resistant to clumping.
...and because they are 100% solid ceramic, they don't rust!

Please let em know how well these do at higher speeds. So to use these use jsut simply mount the tires with a bag in each tire and do you don't need to balance at all at teh tire shop? I'm sick of my tires vibrating.
I actually didn't put the bag into my tire with it off the rim. All I did was remove the valve cores from each tire and used the small bottle and tube to pour the beads in through the valve core. It took forever, but I didn't have to have someone re-mount my tires so it didn't cost anything.

I have gotten them up to 65 mph so far and they are perfectly smooth. I am taking a trip this weekend that will involve highway driving up to 75 mph. I will let you know how they do then.

I have noticed that the tires do shake just a bit from about 30-40 mph until the beads spread out and do their thing. After that the tires are perfectly smooth riding. Kinda neat feeling actually.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 03TRDBlack
I actually didn't put the bag into my tire with it off the rim. All I did was remove the valve cores from each tire and used the small bottle and tube to pour the beads in through the valve core. It took forever, but I didn't have to have someone re-mount my tires so it didn't cost anything.

I have gotten them up to 65 mph so far and they are perfectly smooth. I am taking a trip this weekend that will involve highway driving up to 75 mph. I will let you know how they do then.

I have noticed that the tires do shake just a bit from about 30-40 mph until the beads spread out and do their thing. After that the tires are perfectly smooth riding. Kinda neat feeling actually.
...so?
Old 04-26-2005, 04:09 AM

The beads worked perfectly on the highway this weekend. I got up as fast as 76 mph (which is about as fast as I go) and no shaking at all. Also I have noticed that the tread has started to wear more evenly now. I took a tread wear guage and checked the tread on all four tires to check for any difference in wear and every spot I checked on every tire matched.

I used to have some spots that looked lower than others (I have pretty blocky tread) but after the 500 mile trip things are wearing more evenly now and I'm actually getting some of the sharp corners on the tread blocks back like they were when they were new.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:15 AM

quick question. what size bags did you buy?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:27 AM

I bought the 4 oz bag, but if I had to do it over I would have gotten the 5 oz bag. It recommended the 4 oz for standard 265/75/16 tires and 5 oz bag for "agressive" 265/75/16 tires. I fall into the latter category.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info...I'll look into those when I get my new tires...Sweet truck by the way, one of my favourite normal IFS rigs (no sas or 35s etc.) Just curiously how do those HIR bulbs work, do you like em?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So they just roll at the bottom of the tire constantly to keep more weight on the bottom? That seems like a good idea. Are you still liking them after about a month?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Silver_Truck
Thanks for the info...I'll look into those when I get my new tires...Sweet truck by the way, one of my favourite normal IFS rigs (no sas or 35s etc.) Just curiously how do those HIR bulbs work, do you like em?
The HIR bulbs are absolutely the best bulbs I have used for their wattage. I wish they weren't so damn expensive though. The light output is amazing!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Keggo
So they just roll at the bottom of the tire constantly to keep more weight on the bottom? That seems like a good idea. Are you still liking them after about a month?
That's not exactly how they work. The beads are distributed around the tire through centrifical force when the tire spins. If there is a heavy spot on the tire, the beads go to the opposite side to counteract the heavy spot. This is what the lead weights are for when you have the tire balanced. These just do it all the time without having to have the tires balanced again.

I have had the beads for over 2000 miles now and they are still working perfectly. No shake in the tires what so ever. The tread wear has become perfectly smooth all the way across the tire.

My next set of tires will have these installed as they are mounted.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

That's cool. I'm getting ready to buy some used 33x12.50x15's Mickey Thompson Baja Radial Claws (REALLY good price; $300 for a set of 4 with about 4000 miles on them) ... and some new rims as well. Now that I read your review, I think I'm going to buy the dyna beads for the new set. It says I need the 8oz. package. So, when I get the tires mounted on the rims, do I just tell the guys mounting them to put the beads in? Also, what are your thoughts on Nitrogen filled tires? I really appreciate this review, I'm sold on this product now!
Old 06-06-2005, 10:35 AM

If you are going to order them, order them with the easy open bags. The installer will just throw the bags in the tire before they mount the rim on. When you drive, the bag will break open and allow the beads to come out.

I haven't heard anything about using nitrogen to fill my tires because I don't know of anyone locally that does it. The site that sells dynabeads says its the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't have experience with it. You should try it and let everyone on the forum know your experience.

Look at it this way, if it does nothing special, you can always fill the tires back up with regular air.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

True, well, I just got the tires tonight and I'm ordering the rims off 4wheelparts and when I get them mounted I'll see if any place around here does nitro. I may have to hold off on the dynabeads. I'll probably just get their core remover, filtered core and 4 bags 8oz when I have more money.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Just wanted to update this and let everyone know I got some more of the beads to add to my new tires. Went with 7 oz. for my 285/75/16's. Rides smooth as glass so far. Thumbs up!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

good to know... I still haven't been able to buy any! I want 'em though!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyna Beads for tires = Good Stuff