Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

SoCal: Superstition Apr 7-9

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the video to work. Hell yeah. That was so cool. I cannot wait until Seth does the full on video for the whole day.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those pics looks like fun.
I don't get one thing though. If MarkP was gonna tip on the passenger side as he goes over that part, how come there's a guy putting weight on the passenger side?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/ef829ffa.jpg
Old 04-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Anthony
That pic is kind of decieving in that it does not fully show how bad it was tipping to the driver's side. It would not have hit hard on the driver's side had it gone over but without Rob on the passenger side it would have gone no question about it.

The white 3rd gen in the back ground is me and I was blown away when I came around the bend and saw him all tipped over like that.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

It was going to roll drivers side....watch the video to see more detail
Old 04-12-2006, 10:04 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/ef829ffa.jpg
I just noticed my daughter looking for "special" rocks in the background of that pic. With all those around there, I'm not sure how she determines if they are special or not.
She blends in pretty good back there, I didn't see her at first.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

No way. I didn't see her in that one either. She seemed like she was so good for you on that trip. I cannot wait to take my little monster out with me.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
With all those around there, I'm not sure how she determines if they are special or not.
I believe "special" rocks are determined based on the following criteria:

1. Smootheness

2. Shinyness

3. Glitteriness

4. Shape

5. Ease of excavation

Let her do her thing, man. You never know...she might be building a mansion in your back yard out of "special rocks". Then you can retire there.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 AM

Hey all, thanks for the fun time out there this past weekend. We all had a great weekend. It was nice to finally put faces with the the names on this forum. Even though we didn't roll out with you guys, not that I didn't want to, we still managed to hit some mild trails on the back side on Saturday afternoon.

How I spent my Saturday morning for a good 2 hours while you guys were already rompin' around on the other side of the mountain. Good thing the weather wasn't any hotter. Now I know 2WD does not do so well in the sand, even with the rear locker. Gotta have those front wheels turning.

We even managed to get the "Mighty Hannah" to try to get me out.

Ernie passing time while we were waiting for that big F250 to get me out. That thing pulled me out like I was a tiny weed planted in a soft dirt. At one point, we had Ernie's Jeep and Nicki's Tacoma pulling but Ernie started to feel like his clutch was giving out.

Last edited by 99runner4me; 04-13-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 99runner4me
[
Is that a tow strap he is on. Is it just me or is that really dangerous? The snap back on straps when they break is super intense.

I had no idea you got that burried out there. How about a 4x4 conversion?

Good to meet you as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Yeah, that was the tow strap he's balancing on. That thing wasn't going anywhere. No hooks on the straps that could give.

Too bad I didn't introduce you & your wife to Ernie & wife, sooner. Looked like you knew the same people from work?

I've thought about a 4x4 conversion, but I think I'll just trade it in for a 4x4 before doing a 4x4 conversion. I was about 100 yard to the summit, and I just couldn't get up anymore. It just sank. The photos you see there wasn't the first time I got stuck. Those are photos trying to get back to harder packed sand after following Ernie eastbound trying to cut across to get to you guys. A BIG FAT MISTAKE !

The Lockright locker worked great in the sand, but it wasn't enough to keep me afloat. Once we were on the trails it was no problem. The 4Runner chugged up the hills with no slippage and with little effort.

-Cesar
Old 04-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that it probably makes more sense to just sell and buy a 4x4. So when is this gonna happen????
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I agree that it probably makes more sense to just sell and buy a 4x4. So when is this gonna happen????
I don't know if it's going to happen anytime soon. I brought it up to my wife a few nights ago. I told her that we need a truck to haul stuff, and I like those quad-cab Taco, but she says she likes her belongings covered, as in a 4Runner. Who knows?!! Maybe I'll go and get stuck some more, maybe she'll want me to get a 4x4 sooner.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

"Lizard Slayer" Now I get it!

Marc... all I gotta say is "Wooo Haaaa!" Come back out to Bullhead soon, man... I've found a few more trails to do...

In fact, you all should head to the river and do some wheelin'!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

sound good CJ.

I washed and waxed my truck for the first time in a while and I noticed that my passenger door looked like the forward edge got pushed towards the cab. After the wax went on, I saw what Marc did on Sunday - about 6 medium dings on my passenger side

Oh well. Time for Herculiner
Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
sound good CJ.

I washed and waxed my truck for the first time in a while and I noticed that my passenger door looked like the forward edge got pushed towards the cab. After the wax went on, I saw what Marc did on Sunday - about 6 medium dings on my passenger side

Oh well. Time for Herculiner

That's the spirit!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Hey Ryan, didn't you say your check engine light came on over the weekend? Did you find out what code is?

Mine came on just before the S2 coming back. Code PO171. I might have to replace my MAF sensor. Cleaned it and erased the code yesterday. I'll see if it comes back on.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:38 PM

damn cesar! you went deep!
That stuff was so soft and fine all of us had trouble in a few spots.
cesar I had that same code for awhile, I ended up replacing my MAF sensor to fix it. Cleaning it didn't do much.

Oh yeah Seth-
I forgot to tell you, the first thing my daughter told my wife was about my friend who pooped his pants while we were driving. She must have heard you over the CB talking about that trail you guys came down at super 7.
She was busting up about that.

Last edited by RobT2k; 04-13-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Had the same on my Taco. Just do not let the dealership talk you into doing it. Buy the Sensor and do it yourself. I learned this the hard way in 2004.

There has to be more pics from the trip than this???????
Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobT2k
Oh yeah Seth-
I forgot to tell you, the first thing my daughter told my wife was about my friend who pooped his pants while we were driving. She must have heard you over the CB talking about that trail you guys came down at super 7.
She was busting up about that.
RAD!!!! I really need to watch myself when the littles one are around. I apologize if I caused any trouble. I think I might have dropped some F-bombs occasionally. It's cool to have the kids around. I just forget about em' when we're in the trucks. Outta sight, outta mind, ya know.

But, I can only imagine the visuals in her head. Grown men poopingthere pants descending a hill. Wow! Poor kid. hahahaha
Old 04-13-2006, 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=99runner4me]]

QUOTE]

Hey man, maybe this is a stupid question, but what were you aired down too?

It looks liek your tires are pretty full. I generally run at 15, but I was at 11.5 that weekend.

WItha 2wd, 12 pounds would help. Just a suggestion for next time.

Quick Reply: SoCal: Superstition Apr 7-9