Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Planing Oregon February overland trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planing Oregon February overland trip

I want to travel some where epic and I want to do it as much as possible off road I'll have 4 days to travel there and back I'm located in Portland Oregon. Thought about heading to Canada and I know there is a back country discovery route through Washington I will just need to contact certain ranger stations to get a list of closed roads so I can make my map better. I'm in need of a either android or apple app that I can create gps maps with to follow.
Any input on a cool location to travel too or an app is appreciated.
My rig that will be doing the packing will be my 1987 4Runner running stock ifs 1"bj spacer rear Zuk mod with tj springs sitting on 33"x10.5" toyo mt
150 amp alternator
22re 280k on motor runs perfect
I will be obtaining a winch before I leave and hopefully moving my current bumper to hold a winch plate. Truck mods other then suspension are 2 sets of 6led pods a front forklift spot beam. Rear facing auxiliary lighting. Insulated interior 2k watt inverter.
I decided to get a winch over a locker because I've been pretty amazed with how much my rig can do with out them I figured a winch would be able to get me out of a crappy situation before a clamshell locker would.
Before I leave there is a list of things that need to be planned and added to the vehicle

A map will have to be drawn up with alternate routes marked local amenities such as gas emergency and other needs incase of a problem

Fuel storage somewhere id like to do something other then the roof but it will do if needed.
Spare tire needs to be relocated as well. I will be sleeping in the truck so bedding consists of camping mattress double sleeping bags on a cot I want to be able to get rid of the cot and make a folding bed surface so that I put it away and out the seat up if needed
Other things like fluid changes quick tune up wires break pads new cap and plugs and I feel like the only thing left is to configure a packing order, make a meal plan and storage plan.
I will post soon with all of my destination ideas and begin to build towards a solution.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Look forward to seeing what ideas you come up with!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am going to try the Oregon backcountry discovery route. I have been very interested in the route since I heard of it. I did part of the Washington one early this year around January I have a bigger knowledge of off road driving now and I'm in the Midsts of getting my vehicle more capable steering and alignment have been fixed and new tie rod ends working on a different spare location still and adding tow points. The winch is still in the process as I don't have a plate for my bumper and my bumper will need more modifications. I am also on the hunt for some form of gps files preferably a gpx file.