Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Martinez Canyon AZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martinez Canyon AZ

Had a 'best ever' trip this weekend with Westy44Runner, and two mutual friends. We left Friday night for Martinez cabins, where we would spend the night camping out in our trucks. It was kind of spooky being out there by those old cabins, looks like a horror movie camp at night.

We made it through the night, had breakfast and then were entertained by some country flute before hitting the trail.

The trail quickly becomes challenging. Despite having seen pictures of several obstacles in the past we were still surprised at how much bigger they look in real life.

This pose wasn't quite intended.

You can see the rock crusher processing mill in the background. Several 4x4 quads made it to the mill and then turned around because they didn't have adequate clearance for the rocks.

I got stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place and needed a quick tug to get over this rock.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM

Continued...

Next, came the spot Brian had been talking about for days. The fabled "YELLOW BELLY LEDGE"

Well I took one look and decided I'm not quite equipped yet for this caliber of an obstacle. I went around (I've been called worse things). Brian decided to put the Armadillo in "Marlin Mode" and aim for the tip, uh-- I mean top.

He was really looking good but then things went bad real quick. If he had a front locker he very well could have made it up. We secured his truck and then got him out safely. I pulled the armadillo back over on all fours and then we winched the truck up the rest of the way. He is very fortunate that he didn't roll into the large crevass. The only damage was a hair crack in the tail light and a small dent in the bottom of his fender.

After this, the trail climbs up the mountain past Columbia and Silverbell mines which had some very well preserved tunnels. At the top the views were spectacular.

The 'Luge' section has been washed out to mammoth proportions, being at least 12' deep. The steep bypass section was a controlled slide down but wasn't really that scary. The cabins are at the bottom of the hill, our total time on the trail was about 7 hours. An awesome trip by any standard.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:20 PM

Awesome pics!!

Looks like you guys had a hell of a time.

I wish we had places like that to go wheelin around here...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Those pictures bring back good memories. I LOVE that trail
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM

i need to go there some day.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Great report. Awesome captions too.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

That is an awesome trail.
I made it up Yellow Belly in my 98, after Schaefer got me on the right line.
Looks like you guys didnt take the right line, you shouldnt have almost rolled it.

Pics look great and the commentary fits well.

I can't wait to go back there, it's a hell of a trail.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

My wife and I keep thinking about moving out there...seeing pics of places like that motivate me.

When I lived there I had my old Pathfinder and did trails up near 4 peaks, Schnebbley Hill/ Sedona, and even a couple up near the Rim. But I never saw terrain like that.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is awesome! !you;ve got some great lookin trucks there. thanks for the pictures!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM

Martinez is a great trail...with awesome scenery, some of the best in AZ. It definitely rivals Sedona...

Nitro - I had what I thought was the best line for my truck, it was real tough to get it lined up though with 113 inch wheelbase. My rear spool with open front turned out to be a bad combo, I needed the pull of a front locker rather than the push and digging into the sand my rear end was providing. Although, I would like to tackle Martinez again with someone that has done yellow belly before and see what line is optimal.
I ended up taking moderately left line, hitting the wall with both front tires at the same time, with my passenger tire aiming for the ridge up the right side, but my rear end begun to pull around to the left side pulling me into the deeper end..

all in all great trip...cant wait for the weather to cool off.

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-02-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
Martinez is a great trail...with awesome scenery, some of the best in AZ. It definitely rivals Sedona...

Nitro - I had what I thought was the best line for my truck, it was real tough to get it lined up though with 113 inch wheelbase. My rear spool with open front turned out to be a bad combo, I needed the pull of a front locker rather than the push and digging into the sand my rear end was providing. Although, I would like to tackle Martinez again with someone that has done yellow belly before and see what line is optimal.
I ended up taking moderately left line, hitting the wall with both front tires at the same time, with my passenger tire aiming for the ridge up the right side, but my rear end begun to pull around to the left side pulling me into the deeper end..

all in all great trip...cant wait for the weather to cool off.
yellow belly is very hard to get the right line. You have to come over some rather large rocks just to get in the right position.

I think I'll be heading back out there in January. Going to run martinez, upper woodpecker and lower terminator most likely.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:42 PM

Thanks for all the kind words.
I was very impressed with Martinez Canyon. I believe that this area is one of the hidden treasures of Arizona. There are trails for all caliber of offroaders and always some structure or old mine to check out.

I'm going to be working on a video of this trip soon, which will for sure show Brian rolling if anybody wants to check it out. Just check back in a week or so.

Last edited by benman; 08-02-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:38 AM

got any pics Nitro?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i forgot to mention, that first picture is so funny!

btw is Martinez canyon near Martinez California? Stupid question maybe but I had to ask.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 AM

Kyle - yeah (Ben) benman is also known as Ansel Adams...he may as well have a camera glued to his forehead. He stops every 2 miles for a picture...

I cant complain however as he always gets great shots.

Martinez Canyon is located in AZ, nearby Florence, AZ which is just outside PHX area.

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-03-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Yellow Belly is not that hard, I have been up it at least 15 times.

Here with IFS.

You just look streight up at the sky and go for it.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Hotpants
I think I'll be heading back out there in January. Going to run martinez, upper woodpecker and lower terminator most likely.
We'll go down to Tucson and do Charouleau Gap this time for sure.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by benman
Next, came the spot Brian had been talking about for days. The fabled "YELLOW BELLY LEDGE"

Well I took one look and decided I'm not quite equipped yet for this caliber of an obstacle. I went around (I've been called worse things). Brian decided to put the Armadillo in "Marlin Mode" and aim for the tip, uh-- I mean top.

He was really looking good but then things went bad real quick. If he had a front locker he very well could have made it up. We secured his truck and then got him out safely. I pulled the armadillo back over on all fours and then we winched the truck up the rest of the way. He is very fortunate that he didn't roll into the large crevass. The only damage was a hair crack in the tail light and a small dent in the bottom of his fender.

Well, that is completely the wrong line. You need to be over more to the left. Basically what you do is line the front drivers side tire up with the very highest point to the left and it will go right up, if you don't, your not going up.

I can even go up and down that thing all day with my Drag Slick Yokohama's, oh and one other thing, without a front locker you don't have a prayer in hell.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Well, that is completely the wrong line. You need to be over more to the left. Basically what you do is line the front drivers side tire up with the very highest point to the left and it will go right up, if you don't, your not going up.

I can even go up and down that thing all day with my Drag Slick Yokohama's, oh and one other thing, without a front locker you don't have a prayer in hell.
So much for that, at least Brian, nobody can call you yellowbellied. Looks like the Armadillo needs a front locker before a flatbed. I guess by being more left, the rear pass tire won't be ramped up high enough to roll it. I say you learn more in one roll than in 10 trips.

And Kyle, Martinez Canyon is halfway between Florence and Superior, AZ if you were to draw a straight line between them.

Last edited by benman; 08-03-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:08 PM

awesome pics. looks like a sweet place to wheel. i might have to make it out to AZ in the future...

Quick Reply: Martinez Canyon AZ