Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Martinez Canyon - Arizona - 03.04.2006

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Martinez Canyon - Arizona - 03.04.2006

There's a bunch of pics of the entire trip on the Sonoran Steel Forum (watch for language - pics start at the bottom of the page) and MORE PICS and a narrative at http://4rnr.net/rides/arizona-03-04-06/.

...and a few pics worth posting in the thread:

Last edited by bamachem; 03-07-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:25 PM

I had a great time -- good to meet you, Andy! That's my favorite trip so far. Beautiful scenery and challenging obstacles. Good stuff.

Ed
Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Ed- it was great to meet you too! I had an incredible time wheeling w/ you guys!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
HOLY MOLEY, guess those front springs didn't settle as Steve had expected. Those Shackles look like its a pretty rough ride on the road...

Looks like the weather was nice and you guys had a good time.....

Last edited by SteveO; 03-07-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

actually, it's not a rough ride at all. it's VERY nice on the washboard roads and offroad - where it really matters - and actually quite a good ride on the street as well. i was VERY impressed with the way it felt both as a passenger and a driver. the main difference that i felt on the gravel roads at 40-50 MPH was that the gear ratio in the steering box was less than the stock ratio of the OEM setup, making me have to turn the wheel more than i'm used to for turns on the road - something i got used to quickly. other than that, i'd say the ride was very comparable off road to the tundra setup and similar to an OME setup (a little stiffer than the TRD Tundra stuff) on the road. the only downfall to the on-road ride is the rear crossmember that adds some vibration to the body since it's a stiff mount between the drivetrain and your butt. the one thing that i did notice about the all-leaf setup was that all the travel was compression, where with a coil setup, you get both compression and extension. however, the lack of extension didn't prevent it from absolutely spanking everything in it's path and outwheeling every other vehicle on the trail - including the IFS runners, the SA second gen truck, the SA second gen runner, the tacoma, and the Slee School Bus "Yellow Bellied Lemon" cruiser. It made this 4 - 4.5 rated trail look easy.

overall, it was VERY well balanced front-to-rear. the suspension worked like it should have - not like IFS where the rear suspension does 90% of the traveling since it has the softest coils.

i spent the better part of about 11 hours in it last saturday - but hey, what do i know about suspension stuff...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-08-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM

I can't believe you wheeled with those beer swilling ingrates. The civility that group lacks is appalling. While they are busy running the hardest trails, they are usually telling jokes and having a good time making sure no one is left behind. Sorrry you had to suffer through that.

Martinez is a fun trail, pretty too. I will catch you farther down the road Andy.

I have driven the truck, it drives great.

I have riden in the truck, it rides great.

I have wheeled in the truck, it wheels great.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:50 AM

Just checking in! Great pics!

Chris
Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Banned

I'll catch you on the flip side for sure Cheese. The wife and I loved our trip to AZ. So much so that we're more than likely going to try to make an annual long-weekend trip to the desert.

It is nice. Much nicer than I tought leaf springs could be. It's so internet un-cool, but it works so well. Imagine that...

Last edited by bamachem; 03-08-2006 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Bamachem, that's great.
I recall that Schaefer stated he put those shackles at that angle because the Alcans are also known as "Sagcans", and was calculating on the springs sagging, and improving the shackle angle. Great to hear you guys had a good time.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Subscribing on. Looks like a great trip!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Banned

no problem steveo...

i was expecting a much-harsher street ride and i was thouroughly surprised and impressed.

Old 03-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
no problem steveo...

i was expecting a much-harsher street ride and i was thouroughly surprised and impressed.

Indeed, I would expect a much harsher street ride as well. I remember steve talking about the Alcans and how they sag a lot, and him anticipating this sag, hence the shackle angle. So, with the current angle of the shackles, and being that they are on the front of the springs, I would (I guess anbody who has seen jeeps and rode in them) expect a much harsher ride. I suspect the C ply tires soak up a lot of road variations and bumps. Pretty surprising, and good for Schaefer. Is it nearly as good as the IFS rides?

Glad you guys had a good time. I'm originally from Arizona, and was raised in all parts of the state and consider this state my home state. I spent a lot of time exploring and hunting the back roads and canyons of Arizona. Its a great place for wheeling and during this time of the year, its just plain awesome.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That was a great run. Looking forward to more like that in the future.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:01 AM

Man, am I jealous. I'm gonna have to get out ot Arizona soon. Is there anything fun on the California side?

Yellow Belly looks pretty crazy. When you say launhc, are the front tires leaving the ground or what?

Steve's rig looks to perform well. Sweeeet!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM

Launch -

Old 03-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

steveo - yeah, it's NICE. what you lose vs. what you gain is well worth the tradeoffs.

westy - loved the truck and took some good pics of the exo for waskillywabbit to use as inspiration in a few months when he exo's his 85 runner.

as far as the "launch" goes, that pic was sitting still in the "launch position". when he launched it, the rear tires sit down and really grab. "launch" is all relative though when you're talking 250:1 crawl ratio and 5.29 gears. the pass front tire is in the air the whole time, but the other 3 are firmly planted. that driver front is what actually pulls you up and over the ledge while the rear two dump enough torque to the rocks to try to flip you end over end. notice that i'm making good use of that oh-chit handle in that pic!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM

yeah, my first 'launch' on yellow belly wasnt so successful last year...without a front locker or weighting the front end down you really dont have a chance as I learned. The rear tires end up pushing the truck towards the crevice/drivers side and over you go...

thanks Andy. Next month Steve will be building a flatbed for the rig.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 PM

I thought Woodpecker was a great trail but this one takes the cake. Fun run with a great group of people as usual on these AZ runs.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot to tell you everything on the dashboard would come flying at you.

I thought I saw a phone fly by.

The first time I was a bit "off-line" and popped a bigger wheelie, when I earned the 5 bucks, it was eaiser, I was more aligned. I told you I would scare you.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

That was the scariest obstacle I have ever done...

Quick Reply: Martinez Canyon - Arizona - 03.04.2006