Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Great Sand Dunes NP

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO: Great Sand Dunes NP

I haven't been checking the trip reports of late, but it looks like I'm going to have to catch up on things.

Last weekend, I headed down to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve and had an absolute blast despite the below freezing temps. It was the first time I have ever seen the dunes this blanketed with snow, either in person or in pictures, and was pretty much in awe the entire time. For those not familiar with this place in south-central Colorado, they are the tallest, and highest, sand dunes in North America topping out at 750 feet above the valley floor. Yes, these are taller than the Eureka Sand Dunes in Death Valley NP for those who maybe familiar with them, whose tallest is 680'.

Sorry, no 'Runner pics in these. There wasn't any wheelin' to be had. Just had to endure some TOUGH hiking to get up on top of them to shoot a sunset.

An overlook of the dune field to give you an idea of the expanse of the area. They're roughly 6 miles long and 5 miles wide. Three 14ers (14,000'+ peaks) rise up on the left-third of the frame.

Last edited by Darren; 01-19-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:13 PM

wow great stuff Darren! You should lead a little group expedition this spring or summer, I think it would be fantastic. Well, looking forward to wheeling with you sometime
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! Those are your photos? Great eye! That look's pro. REally neato. Thanks for the educatin'.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 PM

I lived near those dunes for years but never went to see them in the winter. Man, did I miss out!

John Fielder can have his llamas. I want to roll with Darren and his 4Runner!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome pictures Darren!

I hereby nominate you as official Yotatech scenery photographer.
Anyone wanna 2nd the motion?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, fellas!

Originally Posted by Bagger
John Fielder can have his llamas. I want to roll with Darren and his 4Runner!
Now that is a quote I'm going to have to save in the archives! Wow, and a big thanks for that compliment! You can definitely roll with me anytime you want! I'd be a fool not to let you after that line.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM

top notch as usual!
Old 01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Is it possible to get some of these in 1600x1200 for desktops?
Old 01-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darren
Thanks, Mark!

Matt, only on one condition: you provide me with an email address and let me know which ones you want.
mattkeen@msn.com

dunes3.jpg
dunes4.jpg

Thanks! Always looking for something new to stare at!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:38 PM

Wow Darren. Nice shots.

I am a graphic designer and live in Highlands Ranch, CO . . . I might be able to use some of your shots on brochures from time to time if you are interested. Check out my website at www.switchbackgraphics.com and give me a call sometime via the number on the contacts page. Look forward to talking to you.

I normally don't like to use these forums to promote my company, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity with your photos. Great job!

Kevin Holliday
Old 02-07-2005, 07:52 PM

you need to change your handle to Ansel Adams
Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in awe Darren, thanks! Do you do any post-processing of the original? The colors, saturation, composition are top notch. Your photos do what only the best do...provoke an inspiring emotional response beyond words.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:10 PM

Darren, really incredible pictures! I'm just getting into digital photography after getting hooked using a Kodak point and shoot. I'd love to know what camera you used for these pics as I'm in the market now. Awesome photos again. There's this website where you can post and make money from downloads called istockphoto you might be interested. Ben
Old 02-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Those are some nice pics. It makes me want to take a couple days off and run out there.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
incredible photos. the color, the angles, the clarity is amazing. if you could email me a few of those too, i'd really appreciate it. dunes 1, 3 and 4. i'll send u a pm with my email address.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

I thought this thread was done, but I guess not before a few more of you added some additional kind words. Thank you. And, as it turns out, I am heading back down there this weekend. So, we'll see what else I can come back with.

Kevin, no worries on promoting your site. It was well within context. Thanks for the heads-up, and it looks like I will be following up with you. I did check out your site in full, and you have done some nice work.

RBLACAUSA, thanks for the laugh! I always enjoy good humor!

BT17R, thanks for the compliments! As for post-processing, all slides are scanned and color matched in Photoshop as close as I can get them, or at least as close as I can get them in a decent amount of time for web display purposes. In short, they match the original trannies pretty close.

benman, the equipment I use can be found here. As you can see, I'm still a film guy. For me, the advantages of film still outweigh those of digital. I would urge you not to get hung up on the equipment side of things, though, as anyone will tell you it has nothing to do with it. A good quote by one of the premier landscape photographers, Jack Dykinga: "Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film (or memory cards!). Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." I am certainly not saying that my images stir the soul, but you get the point. If Jack or Ansel ever used your Kodak P&S, they would have far better images than what I've ever produced.

Thanks again, all.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Darren
... I am certainly not saying that my images stir the soul, but you get the point.
Oh, but we are saying it - your images stir our souls!

What an amazing place. Thanks for capturing some of the spirit and sharing it with us.

So tell us, what happened after the sun set? What did you do? Where did you go?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:36 AM

10 years in Monument, Colorado and I never made it to the Dunes I wasn't old enough to drive, but still....

Awesome pictures...simply awesome! Way to represent Canon ( Digi Rebel here). Do you think I could get high-res copies of Dunes 1&4? Again, breathtaking work!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Oh wow! How'd I miss this the first time... I love your trips and accompanying pictures Darren. It makes me that much more antsy to get out to Colorado this summer. Thanks for the reprieve from flat Indiana landscapes...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Chris, you're too kind! What did I do after sunset? Sorry, but I don't have much of a story for that. Just headed back down, and did the human sled thing down a couple of steeper faces, which was fun! Made my way to the 'Runner and then off to the camp spot.

Thanks, Ryan and Joel!

Quick Reply: Great Sand Dunes NP