Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Crown King trail - dialup warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andries,
The only time I hit the slider was in toward the end in all the rock garden stuff (no pics but people that have run it know). It was unexpected and BAM! hit the slider- glad it was there.
CK is a beautiful area an the little town is really a throwback- liked it alot

Happy new year celebrations everyone!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:32 PM

Good thing you went when you did.

Nice photo's. Due to the resent storms on the west coast this last week the road has changed alot. Some of the creek crossings were 2 feet deep. The trail from the strong box at Orel Bell (spelling) has a 3 to 4 foot wide and 2 to 3 foot deep wash out that is about 20 to 30 foot long. I wish I had taken some photos of it. Lexan has most of the creek crossings on film will post later. At the top of the trail somewhere close to were the Blazerette was left to die there was a rather large boulder in the trail. The boulder was big enough to block half the road. Good thing the 4runner is narrow. After we hit the end of the trail we noticed that they placed a sign stating the road was closed. I sure the locals will be cleaning it up due to fact that it is good chunk of there money up there comes from 4wheeler's like us. I really don't think they will do anything with the wash out, that will be up to our fellow 4wheelers.

Greg
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Wow Greg, that sounds crazy. I was wondering what those little "streams" looked like after all the rain!
Old 12-31-2004, 06:57 PM

so could a stock 03 4x4 TRD Stock Tacoma make it up crown king?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Wonderful pics!

Shame that blazer was stolen, it was pretty good looking from what I can tell.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YodasTaco
All except for one part. But, it was wet when we tried it. You might have better luck when it is dry.

Personally, I would never do CK alone. But that's just me.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:50 AM

Well since the heavy rains-no way, all this is probably irrelevant now but here is my 2 cents:

First off, Crown King is not a beginner trail. So if you are, go with a group period.

I would not recommend a stock Taco for these two reasons (IMHO):
1. The stock tires are pretty thin and there are alot of shale-type (sharp) rocks- makes tire damage more likely.
2. No rock protection is the difference between fear and "not a big deal". You can braille a bit with rock protection. Stock, you have no room for error- if you had a lift I'm sure you would feel better (or a lift and sliders-even better!)- I don't think it's necessary but...a really good idea.

Now my whole mentality when out in "wander the earth offroad 4x4 mode" is this: The whole point is to have fun, relax and enjoy the outdoors-- not soil your tighty-whities.

If you are looking at an obstacle thinking "I *hope* I make it" or "Uh,oh. Well just this once... maybe it will be ok." than you missed the pebble grasshopper!

I also talked to a local rockhound in detail the day before (he was a couple hours ahead of me on the trail in fact- although we never hooked up).

That non-bypass climb: If it was too tough I would have turned around- not a second thought.
I stopped at the bottom, walked it to the top and looked over the best lines to take. It was not difficult. It was a challenge (there is a difference). One attempt, no wheelspin, no crazyness. If there was, I would have been 180ing and enjoying the view of Pleasant Lake.

Same goes for the rock gardens toward the end, (which I felt were more challenging than the non-bypass climb)- only disappointed I had to rush because of the loosing daylight, but again really great, fun challenges. When I say I had to rush, that means skip the poser shots, enjoy the view and picking my a$$- that does NOT mean driving faster!
I got into a real groove with the truck& terrain over that part- it was just a really great run.

Now keep in mind the way to go over rocks is slowly, deliberately and with traction. Speed will kill your truck. You MUST pick good lines, be patient, really scan the terrain- but all that is part of the fun.

I think mud is scarier than rocks- you don't know how deep it is or what is under there (like a stump) and damn, if you get stuck... at least with rocks, you can see if it's too hard and say, "$h!% it's too hard". With virgin mud, someone has to be the sacrificial rig.

I enjoyed it very much, beautiful country, great wheeling.

Sorry for the long post but I think it's fairly important to keep in mind.

Additionally, a trail like this lets you test the capability of the truck and I came away really impressed with the traction control and overall capability. It was a good day

Have a great start to the new year!

Last edited by FirstToy; 01-01-2005 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added a pic
Old 01-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I think this is the thread about the 4th gen. I spoke up for you guys, the flamer chose not to respond any further:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...888#post482888
Old 01-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
First off, Crown King is not a beginner trail.
Well.....................................

Actually it is. If you are still in town I'll show you some stuff. I can run Crown King in 3-4 hours and take every optonal line. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to give you an idea of how hard the other stuff is.

The shelf roads most certainly can be dangerous. But the "ledge" was jack hammered to 1/2 of it's size 2-3 years ago.

If your still here, I'll take you to the good stuff. You won't get dents, I'll stop you before that happens.

The De Soto mine trail is right there as well.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

AZVJC Anniversary run

That's Longfield back there.

He could not make the ledge because the vaccume hose to his front diff fell off.

First trail Erika and the crusier ever whent on.

Up on the ledge.

AZVJC Anniversary run

Why the heck didn't you call me? Each pic is from a different run.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Well.....................................

Actually it is. If you are still in town I'll show you some stuff. I can run Crown King in 3-4 hours and take every optonal line. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to give you an idea of how hard the other stuff is.

The shelf roads most certainly can be dangerous. But the "ledge" was jack hammered to 1/2 of it's size 2-3 years ago.

If your still here, I'll take you to the good stuff. You won't get dents, I'll stop you before that happens.

The De Soto mine trail is right there as well.
Well it's your area so you know better than me but I don't feel comfortable telling someone to go there alone with a stock Taco.

I had a great time, loved the area-nice challenges, great views... I was up there on my own, I like that sometimes- one reason I own a 4x4.

Yes I was told about 3-4 hours for Crown King but I spent alot of time looking around and generally soaking it all in...cooking, just being out there.

I'll be back that way again, I'm sure to hook up with you on a run!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
I think this is the thread about the 4th gen. I spoke up for you guys, the flamer chose not to respond any further:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...888#post482888
MC, good lookin' out for the 4th's
Old 01-02-2005, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FirstToy
I'll be back that way again, I'm sure to hook up with you on a run!
There you go. There is another good trail for you, no dents. It's called FR-42 near Bartlett Lake.

Good stuff. With that front skid and stock bumpers, I can't really take you to Martinez or anything like that. The Coke Ovens, maybe.

Let me know and we'll go out.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:25 AM

thanks for the info guys. maybe ill just wait
Old 01-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info guys. maybe ill just wait
If you have a 4WD with the locker you will be fine. If you have a 2WD PreRunner you CAN NOT run the trial. The BLM has banned 2WD truck from the Crown King trail.

I can't find what agency dictated that, but I'm sure it's still in effect.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:07 AM

Yodastaco,
A good plan would be to start a new thread and see if anyone wants to join you. imo, that would be the best way. You can have fun with others, maybe learn some wheeling and have a backup 'just in case". Maybe the guy who posted on page #1 who just did it can give you some advice- PM him. I'm sure also Schaefer would lead the way for you if schedules mesh. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Wet weather will almost require dual lockers- the steps were very slick when muddy. Of the last group of 9 we went up with, I towed 6 thru...

Since my last run up there, I've had to change the rating from a 2.5 w/ bypasses, -3.0 when taking the harder lines, to a solid 3.0 due to the steps. I was not able to get over the steps in 2x4 low- previously it was doable. Also, if it's wet, there is a hill that might not be passable if you turned around and headed back to Phx after the first major section of obsticals.

I would not recommend doing this trail solo for anyone but the most experianced and capable drivers/vehicles. It is extremely remote and potentialy dangerous country. Very hot in the summer, and very cold in the winter...

Unless you have a 2M radio, there is no reliable source of communication once past the last overlook to Lake Pleasent...

The Prescott Nat. Forest has banned 2x4 vehicles from CK to the southern border of the Nat. Forest. That said, we did get a PreRunner thru, but it took a lot of effort. I won't be doing it again...

Orders & Restrictions

ORDER NO. 09-129

ORDER

ROAD USE RESTRICTION
ORO BELLE & FORT MISERY ROADS (192 & 711)
PRESCOTT NATIONAL FOREST

Attention Prescott National Forest Visitors:

There are new restrictions for vehicles in this area. I have decided to restrict the types of vehicles that may access portions of Oro Belle and Fort Misery Roads (Forest Development Roads 192 and 711). Recently, several serious incidents on these roads involving low-clearance passenger vehicles have prompted me to take this action to protect the health and safety of both the recreating public and emergency service providers. The roads are in poor condition, and the cost to reconstruct them is greater than I am willing to commit at this time. Improvements to the roads are not needed for administration of the National Forest.

PURSUANT to 36 CFR, Sec. 261.50(a) & (b), the following acts are prohibited on the area described in this order (or "Exhibit A") within the Prescott National Forest, until further notice.

(1) Forest Development Roads. Using any type of vehicle prohibited by the order. [36 CFR 261.54 (a)]
It is prohibited to operate a two-wheel drive vehicle on the roads described in this order.

This order affects the following area: Forest Development Road 192 (Oro Belle) in T.10N., R.1W., Sections 27 and 34, Gila and Salt River Meridian, and Forest Development Road 711 (Fort Misery) in T.10N., R.1W., Sections 33 and 34, Gila and Salt River Meridian. See Exhibit A.

PURSUANT to 36 CFR, Sec. 50 (e), the following persons are exempt from this order:

Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission;
Owners, residents or lessees of land accessed by the affected roads;
Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force, in the performance of an official duty.
Done at Prescott Arizona this 9th day of December, 1999.

/S/ Cynthia Moody
for MICHAEL R. KING,Forest Supervisor

Violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or $10,000 for a legal entity other than an individual or imprisonment for not more than 6 months or both.
[Title 16 usc, Section 551]
Old 01-03-2005, 12:15 PM

Crawler,
Where are "the steps" (or is that the non-bypass)?
Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, Mark is talking about the non-bypass. It was slick as snot with rain on it. We had a couple guys including myself give it a go, and there was just no way. We all tried various lines but our tires wouldn't grip and it shifted us into precarious positions.

Far from beginner terrain with rain on it.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:51 PM

Ah, ok. Thanks Christian and Mark- it really is important to me to put names to these places.
Like I said, I do not think this is a beginner trail without rain-sounds impossible now.JMHO.

Quick Reply: Crown King trail - dialup warning