Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

CO: Summer gallery

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO: Summer gallery

I guess this will be a trip report of a different variety, in that the pictures actually span all of my summer excursions, of which there were many. I just calculated that I drove ~9,500 miles during the three summer months. I don't have a report, per se, but just thought some might like to look at some pictures. They aren't of the 4-wheelin' variety, either, though I did take some of the high roads to get to these places, and some of those reports were posted previously, but don't look for any with the 'Runner this time around.

Here's one to get you started:

The other 12 are here: http://mycolorado.org/summer_2004.html

I've been doing seasonal galleries on my site for the past year, so this is just my "best of" series for this summer.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

as always, awesome pics, thankx for sharing, this kind of thing makes me look harder for a job out that way, thankx Darren so anyone know of any place thats hiring in the Denver area, let me know, thankx again for taking the time to post the pics.
Ric
Old 10-08-2004, 02:19 PM

AWESOME!

nuff said.....
Old 10-10-2004, 10:42 AM

Great pictures Darren! I've visited your site many times and always enjoyed your photos from the San Juans. I lived in Lake City for 6 years ( got married on an overlook at Lake San Cristobal and our son was the "Millineum Baby" in LC ) and you really capture the beauty of that area, as daunting a task as that is for a photographer! The lack of fires out west this summer really had to help in getting some great shots.

I wanted to offer a suggestion for a little known trail the next time you're in that area. I haven't seen you mention Carson City, on your site. The turn off is between the Sherman townsite, and Lake San Cristobal. I believe it's officially called County Road 107 or 170. The road up is equally as challenging as parts of Engineer, without the drop offs. There are several old buildings still intact, really interesting for the CO history buffs. The road continues on, past the town, up a steep ridge and drops down into a beautiful hidden valley. I almost got stuck in that valley when my old non-EFI, CJ7 didn't want to climb the steep incline back out!

I know of a few more lesser known trails in that area that are great for the 4WD-photographer, if you're looking for something less traveled than Cinnamon and Engineer. I'd be happy to PM or email you with a few insider tid bits, just let me know.

Best regards -
- K.C.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Darren-

Have I ever mentioned that I am trying to convince my wife to move to CO in a couple years? She is hesitant as she doesn't like change, however your pics have helped my case on more than one occasion. Thanks bro!

We are looking at CO Springs, among other places.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, sweet pictures
Old 10-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Once again, great pics Darren. You're making me want to take a month off of work next year and head west for some camping and wheeling.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Darren, Carrie really wants a print of one (actually serveral) of those shots. Have you put any more thought into getting some large format prints made to sell? I would think a few others here might be interested as well.
-Michael
Old 10-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Darren,
WOW!!! I have seen more of colorado from yuor web site than the ten years i have lived here. That is just so awsome, I will have to go out with you some time and bring my ex's camera and see if i can get a s good as you.

Brandi
Old 10-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the kind words.

K.C., I have, in fact, been to Carson City and the road continuing on above it. I will be, at some point, including it with my Cinnamon report. I have quite a number of other trails, and associated pics, that I just haven't made the time to make reports for. It takes a bit of time to put some of them together and is tough to get motivated at times, which is where I'm at now! I am familiar with most roads in that region, though I won't claim to know some of the lesser known ones, but yeah, I'd always be up for suggestions in case there are some that I know nothing about. Thanks! That is also cool that you lived in Lake City. I really dig that place. Beautiful and quiet, save for the 4th of July parades (got stuck on main street on my way through town last year for the whole thing)! Where do you currently reside?

Christian, I have heard you mention the possibility of moving out to CO Spgs, but didn't recall a timeline. That's a great town. If you want some more ammo for convincing your wife, may I give you Exhibit A: AroundColorado.com! Designed by the world's greatest web designer (in my eyes, and until proven otherwise!), and Colorado Springs' local, Jesse Speer. I have met him, and he is a great guy, and obviously very talented as well. You could spend days reading about all the great adventures from him and other locals and looking at everything else there! We have a nice forum on that site as well. Jump on in if you want!

Michael, that's cool Carrie likes the pics, too! I am not at all opposed to having prints made, I just don't have anything set up on my site to officially handle that and process orders. I used to, in the beginning, but took it down as it was very informal. In fact, I received my first order (via email inquiry) a few weeks back for several prints. If there is anything that catches your eye, let me know, and I'll get back with you on a price.

Brandi, that's great you were able to take a virtual tour of the state from the site! Sounds like you need to get out of the house a bit more, though! Thanks for the kind words and we'll definitely hook up at some point. Perhaps a house party at your new pad would also be as good a time as any!

Thanks again!
Old 10-11-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Those are really cool pix.

The quality of the photos are amazing, what camera did you use?
Old 10-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Really nice stuff! I have been working on my photgraphy skills but I have a long way to go before I get any shots as profesional as those!