Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Blackwood Canyon & Ellis Peak, Tahoe 10-1-11

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Blackwood Canyon & Ellis Peak, Tahoe 10-1-11

My wife surprised me with a weekend up at Squaw Valley for our 1st Anniversary (10/2) -- so...as a good husband does, he surprises his wife by squeezing some 4wheeling into their vacation

Saturday we didn't have much to do, so I decided we should shoot down 89 and hit up some trails that I've never been on before. We decided to hit up the Blackwood Canyon loop and have lunch up top of Ellis Peak and have a look at Lake Tahoe from above.

Trailhead is off of Hwy 89, about 4-5 miles South of Tahoe City on Barker Pass Rd and was around 25 miles including Ellis Peak - we followed the route in the "Backcountry Adventures: Northern California guide book". Trail is not hard and there are only a few technical areas - it's suitable for a stock rig with decent clearance. We were in our 2002 Land Cruiser, stock except for 33" DuraTracs and we chose to wheel it the whole way and did not take the optional "improved dirt road" that you can take part way.

Didn't take a ton of pics, but here are the ones I did take on my phone:

Then we headed up to Ellis Peak, had some lunch, and a little bit of fun with the crawler:

Headed back to Squaw Valley just in time to catch the end of Oktoberfest for a couple liters of Spaten Oktoberfest and bratwurst

Ended the weekend with a 1st anniversary brunch of our favorite special occasion brunch....locs and bagels!

toasted everything bages, cream cheese, capers embedded in cream cheese, home grown red onions and tomatoes, salt & pepper, gravlocs or smoked salmon to encapsulate all the goods so they don't roll off, lemon juice - in that order. you'll thank me later

All in all, it was a great weekend and I got to check another trail off my list!