Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 Lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Lift questions

Hello all,

I'm really glad to have found this board, I'm in need of some help. I've recently gotten the go ahead from the Mrs, to modify our 1999 4 Runner 2wd. Yes, I know its a 2wd, but hey, its what we could afford at the time. I've seen many people lift their third generation 4Runners, but many have said that they run into problems with overtravel in the suspension and wear of the ball joints.

So I was hoping to get some feedback from third generation owners as to what they could consider "no brainer" parts that will raise my Runner either 1 to 1/5 inches. I just wanna make it look a bit meaner on the street, and so i'm looking for the simple bolt in parts. i.e. no:

I also would like to know what your opinions on the following products are:

1. Performance Products 1" Progressive lift springs
2. Cornfed lift spacers
3. Daystar coil over springs and spacers
4. OME Shocks and Springs
5. Bilstein Shocks

I appreciate any input into the matter, I can't go too wild, the Mrs still needs it to be able to be get in without too much hassle. Thanks,

Buddha
Old 10-11-2002, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/suspension/
Old 10-12-2002, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Just don't mix the progressive springs with spacers - its a bad deal.

I ran the PP 1" springs and they were fine for street usage. Problem was, I was off-road more than I thought I was going to be so I switched to OME. They are also cheaper than PP springs and much better. More lift too. Some of the stuff you listed are great off-road products.

For a 2WD street application, I would say that PP springs and Bilstiens are the way to go. If you were going to be going off road, that would change in a heart beat!

Just my opinion - hope it helps!
Old 10-12-2002, 07:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buddha,

Hey, where 'bouts are you in LA? If you are close to Glendale and/or El Monte, let's meet up. I have the Bilsteins installed and if you'd like to take a ride, lets try to meet up.

And I can empathize w/ your situation w/ the Mrs. I actually bought a 99 2WD b/c the First Lady thought she'd be driving the 4runner. In 2.5 years time, she drove it 3 times! The point is, do what you want...she'll adapt.

FYI: I used to have a 99 2WD SR5. I gave it to my brother so I am very familiar w/ the 99s.

I also have the PP 1" lift springs but I have not yet installed it. I'll be installing it when I put on some new tires.

The first mod you should do is the deckplate or the elbow mod. If you don't have the time and you won't be off roading in very deep water, do the elbow mod.

Also, are you interested in a new muffler? If so, I have a bolt on Dynomax muffler that will fit your 99 2WD Auto. This is the Dynomax that alot of people have installed. I'm selling it for $50. This is a complete custom job.

Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 10-12-2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

I just got my baby(2WD) lifted yesterday. I went w/ the Cornfed spacers and Downey Rear Coils. I got 2.5" plus 32" BFG's, a total of 3.2", I think that would be a little extream for the Mrs. (my girlfriend is 5.1 and if she wasn't a flexalbe dancer she would be in trouble, you gota see her process of getting in , very cute). But I was very happy w/ my lift, it didn't cost much aside for the install:cry: and the cost of the dang 32" tires. Okay it was alot but the parts themselves weren't bad at all. Read the great suspension debet on the 4x4wire.com site. I'm sure someone has already put it up or will soon, sry I don't have the time to go find it right now, time for church. just figured I'd let ya know what I did, I'm soooooooo happy.

P.S. Don't let anyone laugh at you for wanting to or actually lifting a 2WD, it's all about the look, I understand exactly what your saying. Don't worry no one here cares much if your 2WD or 4WD they will help you out no matter what, Welcome to the board my friend.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Come awwwwn Stump, show us the pics

Yes, there is nothing wrong with lifting a 4x2.
My first Toy was a '79 2WD.

I had AT type tires on it, and "2x4" painted on the rear flaps
I use to wheel that thing too as far as I could go until I got stuck.

Some of those lifted prerunners look awefully darn nice.
Put a locker in the rear of one, and they can hit many a trail that 4x4s go on.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry Corey, I don't have a digital camera and so I'm waiting to get up w/ one of my friends that has one. I will get them up ASAP. I hear ya on that go till you get stuck deal. I took my first actual mudd'n trip last night, about 30 min. after I got it from the shop. I had my friend w/. a 4WD Escape(LOL) and my friend w/ Land Rover out there with me, so just in case I got stuck the Rover could get me out, but w/ these new BFG's on I never got stuck, those tires are the best, they get ride of mud sooooo fast. I was slid'n all over but pulled right through. I really want to get a locker, 2X the traction I have now, that would be sweet. Quick question though, does mud'n and trail riding wear your tires faster than normal? Are there any really bad effects of mudd'n on my tires?

Pictures will be up tomarrow or Mon.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You got two posts here somehow.
Just edit your first one, and hit the delete box.
Your other one above mine here will stay put.

Taking it off road and driving on logging roads and light trails should not wear the tires out any faster.

I get get excellent wear from my tires.

Sounds like you had some fun last night.
Corey
Old 10-14-2002, 08:22 AM

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses. Since my Runner is going to do mostly street running, and very limited running on fire roads, my budget and my wife are making me lean toward the cornfed spacers. My plan is to get a 1.5" spacer for the rear, and a 1" for the front. Or do you guys think I could get away with a 1.5" in the front, and a 2" in the rear? I figure, when i get bigger tires, it should raise it up additionally, so that should get that meaner look to the Runner.

I'm not totally ruling out the PP springs. I wouldn't mind the extra stiffness, especially since I do a lot more Road and highway running. How is the ride with the PP springs only?

One last question: after I add the spacers, do I need to watch the shocks more carefully? I figure, with a mild lift like the 1" in the front and 1.5" in the rear, I shouldn't have too many problems. But if I go higher, will I have to get longer or different shocks or springs to adjust for the increase in travel? You guys rock, thanks for the help!

Buddha

Last edited by 4RunnerBuddha; 10-14-2002 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:32 AM

How much bigger tires are you going with?? I have 285/75s with a 2 1/2" lift and had to trim the inside of my front fender flares alittle so the tires didn't rub on turns. Also, you won't need longer shocks.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:58 AM
AUJWE

Putting PP 1" springs on a 2WD will give you close to 2" of lift. But, you will need to change out the front shocks to 4WD ones. Search over at 4x4wire b/c we just talked about this last week on the SUV forum. I plan to go the PP springs + Bilsteins route on my 2WD. Got the springs, shocks.........Search over there b/c it has been discussed a good bit. Later.

~Joey~
Old 10-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Stump1883
I just got my baby(2WD) lifted yesterday. I went w/ the Cornfed spacers and Downey Rear Coils. I got 2.5" plus 32" BFG's, a total of 3.2", I think that would be a little extream for the Mrs. (my girlfriend is 5.1 and if she wasn't a flexalbe dancer she would be in trouble, you gota see her process of getting in , very cute). But I was very happy w/ my lift, it didn't cost much aside for the install:cry: and the cost of the dang 32" tires. Okay it was alot but the parts themselves weren't bad at all. Read the great suspension debet on the 4x4wire.com site. I'm sure someone has already put it up or will soon, sry I don't have the time to go find it right now, time for church. just figured I'd let ya know what I did, I'm soooooooo happy.

P.S. Don't let anyone laugh at you for wanting to or actually lifting a 2WD, it's all about the look, I understand exactly what your saying. Don't worry no one here cares much if your 2WD or 4WD they will help you out no matter what, Welcome to the board my friend.
And you doubted the King.