Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Vonage/Linksys router=no ip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vonage/Linksys router=no ip?

Alright, here's my configuration.

DSL Modem->Vonage/Linksys WRT54G Wireess Phone Adapter/Router (PPPoE on router)

Every now and then, and increasingly more often, I'll try to get online wirelessly and Safari says I'm not connected to the internet. I go in and check my network status and it shows a BS self assigned IP address. I'm not getting a real IP from from the router when wireless. I do, however get a good IP when I directly connect via ethernet.

The only solution I've found to this has been to hard reset the router back to factory specs. Obviously, I'm tired of re-programming it all the time.

Anybody know whats up? Time for a new router?

Last edited by User 051420; 08-02-2006 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:05 AM

Do you have your wi-fi set to connect only to your router? I don't know where you live but WinXP is infamous for trying to connect to every freeking wi-fi it can find and that will do what you describe.
However, I'm also curious if you have a good signal when you have the bogus IP and if you show your connected and such.
The fact that you can repair by reseting the router indicates something up with the router, and yes, I'd try a diff router if you have one handy.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long does it work when you reset it to factory specs?

How are you "reprogramming" it? I mean, what are your router settings?

Is the router and phone adapter one piece of hardware or are they separate?

If you have SSID broadcast disabled, that could be an issue. I'm not sure how OS X handles that, but sometimes WinXP will have difficulty latching on to the signal.

But... if you are getting a signal, but just a bogus IP... that's telling me the router's DHCP server isn't working right. Did you try a firmware update? It could be a problem with your laptop, though. Do you have another wireless card or machine to isolate that theory? Does your laptop do this at other hotspots?

Last edited by Churnd; 08-02-2006 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

How long does it work when you reset it to factory specs?
6 hours at the most

How are you "reprogramming" it? I mean, what are your router settings?
I simply program my PPPoE settings, my security (WPA), and make sure DHCP is on, and assigning addresses

Is the router and phone adapter one piece of hardware or are they separate?
It's all one piece of hardware

If you have SSID broadcast disabled, that could be an issue. I'm not sure how OS X handles that, but sometimes WinXP will have difficulty latching on to the signal.
SSID broadcasting is enabled, and I can connect to the router wirelessly, but I get a computer assigned IP

But... if you are getting a signal, but just a bogus IP... that's telling me the router's DHCP server isn't working right. Did you try a firmware update? It could be a problem with your laptop, though. Do you have another wireless card or machine to isolate that theory? Does your laptop do this at other
hotspots?
Yep, the firmware is current. The problem is on all 5 laptops in the house, so I don't think that's an issue.

I just got off the phone with Vonage, and they're sending me a new router..so I guess it's problem solved!

..this thread is now pointless...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM

I can't explain why but linksys routers and win xp does not like certain wpa passwords. Try changing the wpa to something else or even changing the type of security used.

Last summer I was managing something like 90 linksys routers in different locations, when the need occured to use a password the routers just didn't like some of the ones I used, when playing around with them long enough I found that the passwords were the problem.