Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Ok Microsoft Gurus..... Moving shared folders accross servers within the same doman

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Microsoft Gurus..... Moving shared folders accross servers within the same doman

Running a Server 2003 native domain and I am puting in a new NAS box. Currently I have 600+ shared home dirs on the DC that I would like to move to the new NAS box. They all reside the in the same folder structure.

I plan on making the NAS box a member server with 2003 on it as well.

So my question is what is the best route to move the entire directory while keeping the shares? (Note there is no data currently in the folders, just the folders themselves.) Is there a replication utility, or can I merge the share info from the registry of one server to the other and just copy the folders over? (Assuming the drive letter is the same. Worked in NT...)

I haven't started to research this yet, I just thought I'd bounce it off some of the resident experts. I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff so don't feel like you need to use the "Beginner 101" speak . I just haven't figured out ALL the AD bells and whistles yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by yoda-g2; 07-22-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:47 AM

I use robocopy. It will also do the security settings as well. You should be able to move the share names through the registry. They should be under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\Shares

I'd test it out on a dummy machine first just to be safe.

Last edited by data; 07-22-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks man, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if there was some sort of file replication service in server 2k3 that made things easier. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:14 PM

If it's NAS, there could be an issue. Who's NAS box are you using (is the OS a stripped out version of Linux or Windows?)? If it's a Samba NAS box (Linux kernel) you could run into issues with re-creating the shares in any easy fashion. If it's a windows box, you could either export the registry, like Data, says, or write a quick script to rip everything from one box to the other.

If you move shares from one Win box to another and want to use the Reg export method Data mentions, make sure the path is the same on both boxes (same drive letters and same directory structure to the shared folders) otherwise the registry entries will be all wrong.

Good luck!