Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Microsoft's answer to the ipod

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft's answer to the ipod

Does Microsoft’s new Zune look like it can compete with the ipod.

Larger screen and wireless are the two big things i see over the pod right now.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

Last edited by X2and4X; 11-14-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Caution: Excessive Ranting...
In my opinion I couldn't care less if the screen is bigger or even color. I don't own an iPod, but I've used one quite a bit. All I'm looking for is a dedicated music player. I don't need fancy bells and whistles. The wireless is kinda neat though, I must admit. The FM radio... well... for the most part I don't listen to the radio anyways so who cares. I think its a case of being waaay too late. How old is the iPod now? How big of a dedicated group of users would rather stick with the iPod than more onto the microsoft version? I guess only time will tell.
Rant mode off...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:55 AM

your right about being way to late. I dont own a ipod either. but thinking i would still choose a pod. mostly because i know its going to play nice with my main home computer. but if anything this should get the ipod changed with wireless and screen a lot faster.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 AM

I dunno. Never had a problem with the screen myself. The way I see it is the less flashy the screen, the longer the battery life. Who cares if it displays in wondrous color if said color kills the battery and I find myself walking down the street feeling dumb cause my music player died... again. Wierd, I haven't even tried using this thing yet and I've already got a large distaste for it... Prolly the first time I've ever fought for a mac as well
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lack of FM receiver is what has kept me from buying an iPod. My primary use for an MP3 player is at the gym, and they use FM modulation to broadcast the audio from the TV stations. So if I want to zone out watching news or sports while trying to forget the pain of the treadmill, I need an FM receiver.

I'm definitely going to give these a look.

Ed
Old 11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i want the sirius stiletto... screw ipods and this MS junk!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM

I really liked satellite radio when it came out. gregbreakseverything managed to get his hands on a sirius reciever, and rocking out was done. then i realized they just basically loop the same songs over and over again just as on fm radio. then it wasn't so cool anymore. I'm my own dj. I'll listen to what i wanna listen to.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:22 PM

That things huge. Has MS not seen the Nano?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have my brothers old 4gb, honestly it never had any problems but they made it so annoying to use. I dont want another program on my pc, I just wanna drag and drop my songs!

It does work well though, but I tend to listen to the radio and play some cd's in my truck. I dont wanna drill my dash or put anything on it to hold the ipod, the camry I used the ashray and clipped it on.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

read my other thread here
Old 11-23-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Have you seen the roads I use in my fieldwork? I'm pretty sure they'd trash the hard drive in the Zune or the iPod. Which is why I bought the wife a Nano...that she let's me borrow.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I used to be the biggest Ipod hater more because I can't stand Apple. I've always felt that Apple users felt they were better than everyone else. As a side note, the Apple store employees are the cockiest @#$@# I've ever met.

Having started this thread as an Apple hater, I bought an 8 gig Nano a few months ago and fell in love w/ this MP3 player. I've owned two Dell DJs and they've served me fine but Itunes and integration w/ the Ipod is killer. Since I got this Nano, I've went Ipod crazy and bought a refurbed 2 gig Nano for the gym, a colorware 2 gig Nano for the g/f (pink and lavender custom colored), a 30 gig Video for the home system and I keep the 8 gig for the truck and the office. IMHO, there is no better MP3 player on the market when you compare cost and ease of use. Not to mention, I'm love add-ons and the Ipod has a ton of companies dedicated to consistently make everything you'll ever need. Because of this, I don't think the Zune has a chance...
Old 11-23-2006, 11:59 AM

I am a man who likes the fancy doodads and usless things that are just plain cool, but doesnt like to admit it. The microsoft mp3 player looks like quite the sweet package, but it is fairly large. Then again, all 30Gb mp3 players are pretty large. I liked the idea of the stiletto. Listen to sirus, if you like a song, it downloads to the stiletto right over the satillite connection, no trying to find songs on the internet. I also think you are able to upload songs to the stilletto from a computer as well, wich makes it the ultimate mp3 player. The only ÅÅÅÅty thing about the stiletto is the crappy sound quality of satillite radio. Its fine on a stock vehical stereo, but it sounds like ass on a nice stereo, and for a guy who spent some money on some nice headphones, the sound quality could kill me.

Bottom line, the minidisk player is where its at, and Im going to keep it untill it breaks.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I hate my Ipod and wish I'd never bought it. It worked fine until right after the warranty period ended, then just like all other Apple products, started crashing.....often. It got worse and worse until now it won't turn on at all, even when plugged in. And I couldn't get any help from the store I bought it from, and I'm afraid to even call Apple for help.....I really don't want to deal with them.

I also don't like the way that you HAVE to use Itunes, while I like the program, I'd like to be able to drag the folders onto the Ipod instead of having to add them to my Itunes, then put them on the Ipod.

But like everyone else has already said. The accessories market caters to the Ipod now and there's little chance the MS product would catch on. I'd probably rather have it myself.......but, I don't think I could get $249 for my used Ipod (if I got it fixed) unless I loaded it with songs first, then It would still probably not get that much.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by bob200587
Well, I hate my Ipod and wish I'd never bought it. It worked fine until right after the warranty period ended, then just like all other Apple products, started crashing.....often. It got worse and worse until now it won't turn on at all, even when plugged in. And I couldn't get any help from the store I bought it from, and I'm afraid to even call Apple for help.....I really don't want to deal with them.

I also don't like the way that you HAVE to use Itunes, while I like the program, I'd like to be able to drag the folders onto the Ipod instead of having to add them to my Itunes, then put them on the Ipod.

But like everyone else has already said. The accessories market caters to the Ipod now and there's little chance the MS product would catch on. I'd probably rather have it myself.......but, I don't think I could get $249 for my used Ipod (if I got it fixed) unless I loaded it with songs first, then It would still probably not get that much.

Thats a rather broad statement on all apple products. I can show you my old G4 and G3 PowerPC's that are kicking just fine and do not crash. What kind of conditions did you use you ipod in? My old roomate use to run a lot with her old ipod. But after time it started to lock up due to the hard drive. Since then she has move to a nano for running and has never looked back. And the old ipod now resides in the car. Which, if you dont shake it to much it will work just fine.

Last edited by X2and4X; 11-24-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'm afraid the Zune will probably fail miserably. The wireless "sharing" of songs is cool, but when you really look into it, when you do that, the recipient only has 3 days or 3 times to play it before the song automatically "expires"... whichever comes first. I think that is really dumb.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
Bottom line, the minidisk player is where its at, and Im going to keep it untill it breaks.
My ears must deceive me! You're the only other person (besides myself) that loves MD! I have my Sony MZ-N707 right next to me! YEEAAH BOY!!

Awesome sound quality... has a Mic input, Optical input, USB, has a remote... I love the thing. I bought it 4 Years ago... has gone on tons of snowboard runs with me... still works like a charm! Uses 1 AA that lasts for probably three weeks running it like 5 hours a day... Incredibly efficient. Though I do use my PSP for MP3's sometimes. I might as well. I usually have it with me everywhere I go!

Last edited by Keggo; 11-24-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM

MD players are tough. My first one stopped working after a '86 civic to MD player stunt. da_big_wigs fault. The second one is still working. It even survived a 4 ft drop to MD player doing some urban riding! It left quite the bruise on the leg, but other than a small crack in the screen, its still rocking.