Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

"Internet Gateway", Windows XP Pro

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Internet Gateway", Windows XP Pro

Does anyone know what the "Internet Gateway" item is under Network Connections is and what it does? It describes itself as a way to have computers share an internet connection through another computer. I only have two computers on my network and they both connect directly to the net though my router, so I don't need to share anything. I think that it's interfering with my connection speed and is also screwing with my Weatherbug (I know, flame suit on). When I try to disable it nothing happens. If someone knows how to disable it so that I haev a "clean" connection to my router I'd appreciate it.

I'm so tired of Microshaft putting these damn "internet condoms" on my machine that I'm at the point of switching over to a Mac. Why don't they get the message that a large amount of their userbase is not illiterate and let us set our machines up the way we want? Microsoft sucks!!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:09 AM

check to see if theres a network bridge in your network connections, if there is, disable/delete it, then delete your 'internet gateway', all you need in network connections is 'local area network' (you may also have a 1394 connection, which is a firewire card, which can stay)
Old 02-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Rich,

Try here

This may help expalin it. I do not have it on my xp Pro running sp2.

Ray
Old 02-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks. I disabled to service and it still pops up after I disable/enable my NIC. Myabe after a reboot it'll go away. I also don't have any bridged connections, would it be getting some sort of input from my AT& Worldnet dial-up software?
Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have your computers networked and if you did, did you specify one as a gateway or did you specify your router as a gateway?

That maybe where it is coming from.

Who is the IT guru on Yotatech?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

They're networked but I'm using the Linksys router as the gateway. I also deleted the ATT dial-up connection and it's still there. It's also on my wife's PC and all she has is a NIC. Could it be seing the router and drawing info from that?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Rich,

Have you gone to "start" then "help and support" and typed in "internet gateway?"

There is a lot there under 3. Using Internet Gateway and device discovery.

If your home network has an Internet gateway device, IGDDC adds an Internet gateway device icon to the Network Connections folder or the Communications program group, depending on which version of Windows your computer is running. The icon displays the name and status of the Internet connection on your device, and controls to configure the device.

When an Internet gateway device is discovered, the icon automatically appears on your computer. In Windows XP, the icon appears in the Network Connections folder, under Internet Gateway. On computers running Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition, an icon appears in the Communications program group and in the taskbar.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
Thanks. I disabled to service and it still pops up after I disable/enable my NIC. Myabe after a reboot it'll go away. I also don't have any bridged connections, would it be getting some sort of input from my AT& Worldnet dial-up software?
strange that it refuses to delete when you dont have anything else depending on it.. so, when you disable it, can you then delete it.. or does it still refuse to be deleted? after you rebooted, did it come back?

if it won't go away, it really won't hurt your connection.. just have to live with it can curse billy and microsoft under your breath with a lil more vigor
Old 02-28-2005, 01:26 PM

Hmm, perhaps rerunning the Network Connection Wizard will get rid of it. In there you can specify whether you connect to the Internet via a LAN or directly. IIRC somewhere in there is an option for setting up your machine as a gateway which allows it to perform the same duties as a router (if configured appropriately). Maybe try messing around in there.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:37 PM

To remove this "Internet Gateway" roaming in your Internet Connections, simply go into your Add/Remove Programs and go within your "Add/Remove Windows Components" window. Within that list of windows components, find the "Networking Services" components and click on "Details" at the bottom right of that list. Now, simply remove the "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" and click Ok, then click Next, wait a bit and then click on Finish. .. And now restart your computer.

Cheers.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 PM

You revived a 4.5yo thread, bro.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Windsor
You revived a 4.5yo thread, bro.
just in case he was still fighting with it