Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Game hosting

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Game hosting

Never have I had so much trouble hosting a game before as the new Unreal Tournament III.

In the past with other games I would open up a port(s) in my Linksys routers admin page via my web browser.
Many are having this same problem from reading the UT forums.

I have heard of DMZ, and for the fun of it I opened it up for my PC only by inputting only my PCs internal IP.
Here is what it says on my routers page for it:
DMZ Host

The DMZ Host setting can allow one local PC to be exposed to the Internet.
If a local user wishes to use some special-purpose service such as an Internet game or video-conferencing, Enable DMZ, fill in the IP address, and click the Save Settings button.
Select Disable for DMZ, deactivates this feature.
When enabling this setting, the Router firewall protection of the local DMZ host will be disabled.
How much of a risk is there running this when hosting a game?
I have enabled XPs built in firewall, it is on all the time.

It looks like Epic needs to address this issue in an upcoming patch, the new patch out did not address this.

If I want to host a game for a few friends I need to have this DMX enbaled I guess so they can join in on my PC.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the dmz means that any traffic not specifically routed somewhere will default to your computer. so all those net-trolling worms and various pieces of malware, instead of hitting your linksys firewall, will be forwarded right to your computer.

no idea how effective the windows firewall is but it's likely fine. make sure your AV is up to date. and buy a mac
Old 12-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by isaac338
and buy a mac
He he he...
Macs are nice, but not for the type of gaming and hardware I require.

Yeah, I turned the DMZ thing off, as I do not need any worms coming out of my PC case and crawling up my legs

Besides that issue, we gotta learn all this server stuff over again, as we are going to host UT3 on his server he rents in downtown Seattle that he hosts Counter Strike Source on.

I use to admin the UT 2004 side of it on his server, it kicked booty, it is a dedicated server built just for gaming.

But now with the newer UT3 out, it is setup a little differently.