Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Enjoying your iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a new 30gb Video for xmas. WAY cooler than the previous gen's I've had. I love it!

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Just got my hookup in the car and haven't even turned the radio on once. I also got the Belkin charger/amplifier piece and this is when having multiple power outlets up front is nice.
Psst. Install a socket behind the dash and fish that belkin wire up through the xfercase boot.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

I love mine - just got it for Christmas - 30GB black, got about 11GB of music now. I prob wont add pics and movies and stuff cause I need the space for music....

Ipod rocks!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:15 AM

i wanna get an ipod really badly, but i really cant afford one now. plus, i have 70+ gb of music on my computer, so i definitely couldnt get one to fit all my music.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you listen to all of that though?
You can always transfer all to the iTunes library, then just unheck mark the tunes you do not wanna put on the iPod, then fill it up with what you want.

If I ever get around to getting a new amp to replace my blown door speaker one in the rig, I will look into running the iPod through the stereo.
Sure beats buying a new head unit, as mine will not play raw MP3s, only ones I convert over to CD tracks and burn to disc, and I can then only fit about 17 at the most on a 700 MB disc.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM

ipod owners- holy crap microsoft is screwing apple

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

leave it to microsoft to do this.

APPLE'S IPOD PATENT
Computer firm Apple may have to pay Microsoft $10 for each iPod it sells after a huge licensing lapse.

Lawyers at Bill Gates' firm filed a patent for technology behind the hugely successful digital music player two months before Apple.

The US Patent Office has ruled that Microsoft has the right to charge competitors a licence fee for each iPod sold.

Furious, Apple has said it will appeal the decision but at the moment it looks as though the firm will be paying a high price for the success of its product.

The iPod was launched in November 2001 but Apple waited until July 2002 to file for a patent; Microsoft snuck in to license some of the technology the previous May.

David Kaefer, Microsoft's director of intellectual property licensing, said it was open to letting other firms patent its innovations.

He said: "In general, our policy is to allow others to license our patents so they can use our innovative methods in their products.

"Microsoft and Apple have previously licensed their respective patent portfolios to one another and we maintain a good working relationship with Apple."

The dispute comes days after Microsoft declared war on the iPod and pledged to come up with a series of rivals.

So far, 21 million iPods have been sold worldwide, 18 million in the last year alone.

21 million x 10 bucks a piece. Microsoft sure knows how to bank on doing absolutly nothing. Sucks to be apple right now.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 01-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Chalk another person up to getting a black 30gig for x-mas.

The only beef I have with it is the low bat. life when playing videos.

Found a cool trick though (might have been discussed in another thread, if so sorry I haven't been around the forums too much lately).

Link Here
Bought that cable from radio shack, it will play video out the red if I remember right and audio out the white and yellow. All you got to do is goto settings on the ipod and set it to ask on tv out. I haven't played around with it a whole lot but it beats lugging my laptop to my friends house when a new episode of initial d comes out.

I need to find a better case than this grey ipod sock.

Has anyone found a good Fm transmitter for their ipod?
Old 01-01-2006, 04:31 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i was wondering if the ipod video did that... and it should be red and white for audio (R / L) and yellow is video.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you go about hooking up a IPOD to your car?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah,the video playback battery life is only about two hours but that'll improve with future iPods.

Now,on hooking your iPod to your car is as simple as buying a cable with RCA jacks on one end and a headphone plug on the other and just plug it into the back of your HU buty you also need to charge the iPod so I also bought a charger/amplifier (Belkin model) for about $40 which the headphone end plugs into the part that plugs into your power outlet and the other end of the charger plugs into the iPod itself of course. The charger/amp plug also has a volume control that you use instead of the iPod's since when the charger is plugged into the iPod's it disables the iPod's volume control and you just set a happy medium volume on the charger and use the HU's volume as the master.

Don't use the FM signal versions as the sound quality is a step down and it's always better to have a hard connection.
One note to users that have Alpine HUs which use the Ai-Net connections: These HUs don't have RCA plugs on the back and you have to buy a freakin' $25 cable that converts the Ai-Net connection to RCA jacks but then it's ready to go and it sounds sweet.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
i was wondering if the ipod video did that... and it should be red and white for audio (R / L) and yellow is video.
No, it's red in this case. Trust me, I wondered why it didn't come out the yellow either. It's something proprietary that apple does so they can charge you more for the cable.
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...od.html?page=2

Don't use the FM signal versions as the sound quality is a step down and it's always better to have a hard connection.
My reason for wanting an fm transmitter is because I already have my only input taken by my cd changer, and kenwood has the 25$ rca adapter thing too but it hooks into where my cdchanger goes into.

Last edited by Krash; 01-01-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Krash
My reason for wanting an fm transmitter is because I already have my only input taken by my cd changer, and kenwood has the 25$ rca adapter thing too but it hooks into where my cdchanger goes into.
You have the iPod now,ditch the changer.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks for the link Krash, very eye opening, and Apple I am sure has made a lot of $$$ on their cables, thanks for getting the word out here.

I happen to have some of those cables laying around here, but one is in use for my PC for the old 8 camcorder to get old vids off and into the PC.
I may have another one around somewhere, and will try this today.

I am also interested in using this through my rigs stereo, but I have to replace a blown amp first.
I have the RCA jacks on the rear of it for hooking up a changer, so I assume that is how you do it, then select changer from the head units properties.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

You have the iPod now,ditch the changer.
I might do that, put the changer in my project civic and take the radio with the XM and put it in my truck.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

An idea...

While shaving, I had an idea, and I bet it has already been done.

OK, we know you can hook up the iPod via cabling to your RCA jacks on the back of your head unit where the changer would hook up.

Now what about adding one of these into the equation???

That is a 7" universal monitor only, and I am thinking you can take the 3rd plug from the cable Krash posted here, and then have audio and video out from the iPod.
Would this work?
Certainly a lot cheaper than shelling out the $$$ for a head unit that has a screen built into it, or a DVD player and screen combo for a rig.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

heh, thats what I was thinking about doing with my ipod, except using an in-dash screen.
Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorized-7-In-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Krash; 01-01-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I just tried hooking it up to the TV with my Sony digital camera cable, but I only got audio.
It has the vid out, and only one audio out for mono sound.

Every place is closed today around here, or I would hit up Radio Shack and get that 3 way cable and try it.
Tomorrow maybe...

Pssssssssst, my local 'Shack opens up at noon, but the guy answered the tele early.
He has the cable
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
Gonna give it a try.

So who is going to experiment here by adding in a TFT monitor in the rig to see if my idea works or not?
Old 01-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Got the Radio Shack cable, and indeed it does work.
They talk about using a non Apple cable too in the reader feedback area on the page where you buy Apple's cord.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ore=M9765G%2FA

The Radio Shack one is not much cheaper, but at least it is not white.
I hate white cables, I like all my electronic stuff in black.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

FM is here, $49

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA070G%2FA

You do not have to use their earbuds that come with the wired remote either, use what ya want.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 PM

I just got a 60gb video this week. I've been searching like crazy for good ways to set it up in my 4runner.

The 3 in 1 dock from Sakar (Iconcepts) that I found in CompUSA was a great idea but the implementation was shoddy. Only 4 or 5 channel options and none of them sounded good. The mount was not real snug in the cig lighter and the bottom of the holder did not extend enough to give me peace of mind. So I'll be taking it back.

So today I started googling stuff and came across this.
Alpine Ipod Full Speed
Evidently the new head units that use this interface will be coming out right about tax refund time

In the meantime I'm trying to find a good solution for how to mount this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wes
black 97 sr5 4wd

Quick Reply: Enjoying your iPod?