Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Computer Help/Connection,General Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Computer Help/Connection,General Issues

I am somewhat computer handy, but somewhat not. If nothing else, I can take direction well.

Here is the problem.

It started about 3 days ago in the midst of my regular surfing. The computer went slow and IE was crashing, I kept getting messages that an error had occurred and Explorer would be shut down.

I stopped, rebooted, and things got worse. My Ad-Aware scan netted 250 some hits after having none before shut down. I refresehed my virus scan defintions and then found 3 on a scan along with a half dozen or so in process notices.

When no viruses popped up and Ad-Aware had no hits, it was still slow, but I could surf. Now IE crashes every couple of minutes. I scan, find, empty the scan, find none and then it crashes again. Another scan shows 70 new things give or take.

I have emptied Temp internet folders, scanned and defragged and see no apparent misplaced files. I cannot use Hotmail and Ad-Aware will clear all but 5 hits now.

Any ideas or directions to help? It is a 5 year old machine with a 500 meg P3 that I fear is getting ready for pasture.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:14 AM

Have you tried another browser? My wife was having speed issues with IE and I switched her to Firefox (www.mozilla.org). I'm using Ad-aware Professional and Trend Micro AV. I got attacked like that before and it necessitated all the above changes. I think I was on the Autotrader site when all that crap hit me.

My cousin was telling me about a product called Hijack and that it cleans up alot of crap.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 PM

STOP USING IE.

Firefox.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you try deleting on your cookies?...might get rid of your problem....I recommend Firefox too but that will just be a bandaid for this problem....I'm running FireFox but my IE still works good....make sure you have all windows updates too....
Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 PM

• Run Virus Scan
  • Run AdAware
  • Run Spybot Search and Destroy
  • UPDATE

It's best to do the first 3 in safe mode because that disables a lot of the services that spyware will advantage of.

Oh, and if you're not running a firewall, you should be. But if you have XP, your updating process will include SP2 which has a firewall.

Oh again... quit using IE except for when absolutely necessary. Use FireFox.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:38 AM

It had the big one. Complete crash and I could not open anything.

I had deleted all my temp files and run everything as suggested.

It is at the computer doctor as we speak and IE will be wiped from my vocabulary in the future.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Churnd
  • Run Virus Scan
  • Run AdAware
  • Run Spybot Search and Destroy
  • UPDATE

It's best to do the first 3 in safe mode because that disables a lot of the services that spyware will advantage of.

Oh, and if you're not running a firewall, you should be. But if you have XP, your updating process will include SP2 which has a firewall.

Oh again... quit using IE except for when absolutely necessary. Use FireFox.

dont run spybot in safe mode....you'll only get maybe 3-4 DSO Exploits....you wont get advertisment.com or any of the rest, and Norton Antivirus wont boot in safe mode, but you can boot it with a disk if you had too.....I just tried it

Last edited by CynicX; 01-28-2005 at 07:40 PM.