Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Anyone need Mac help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since mac software is just one file that you drag into the programs folder, does it save all the settings and preferences in that file too, as to keep the computer clean? So if you uninstall the program (delete) all it leaves behind is the stuff you saved in other places?? Or is there truely no clean operating system?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dublin
Poopschute, just an update for you. Got my network up and running with the help of a couple new wifi cards from Enterasys. Great pc cards mac and pc compatable much like the Lucent silver. Now my Ti, Wallstreet, iPAQ, and PC's are all happy.
AWESOME! I have an Airport Express hooked up in my house... man... those things are sooo slick. I could go on and on with it. I'm glad your all connected. Good stuff. Think about an Airport Express if you like playing your iTunes throughout the house. Good stuff.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
Since mac software is just one file that you drag into the programs folder, does it save all the settings and preferences in that file too, as to keep the computer clean? So if you uninstall the program (delete) all it leaves behind is the stuff you saved in other places?? Or is there truely no clean operating system?
Hi Dibble,

The answer is no. All of the user's pref's and settings are located in /Users/"whatever user"/Preferences. Most Application pref files look something like "com.apple.application.plist" If you delete a plist (most of them) it's the same as cleaning your system. So if you want to erase time stamps (lil trick to get around registration on some apps) it'll create a new plist automatically and you'll simply have to set up your prefs again. Still MUCH more clean than a PC IMHO.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Poopschute, HELP
First time I've had a problem with OS X ver 10.3.9

I own a 667 Ti and on my last startup it stopped on a pale grey screen with a dark grey apple logo. No spinning wheel. Several tries at restarting it but it just ends up back stuck at the same point. I've tried the Control-Command and the power button simultaneously, no change.I've pressed and held the Command-Option-P-R keys, no change. Option-Command-Escape does Nada. Control-Command-Power nothing. I've pressed and released the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports (5 sec). The only way to shut down is pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. Command-S takes me nowhere. I don't have a recent backup of my HD, I'm at my wits end Please tell me all is not lost.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

just for the record, anyone that is even considering purchasing a mac, GET IT. I absolutely love my powerbook, it really does just work. I have not had one error message yet, lol. Its amazing how much better it is than windows!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dublin
Poopschute, HELP
First time I've had a problem with OS X ver 10.3.9

I own a 667 Ti and on my last startup it stopped on a pale grey screen with a dark grey apple logo. No spinning wheel. Several tries at restarting it but it just ends up back stuck at the same point. I've tried the Control-Command and the power button simultaneously, no change.I've pressed and held the Command-Option-P-R keys, no change. Option-Command-Escape does Nada. Control-Command-Power nothing. I've pressed and released the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports (5 sec). The only way to shut down is pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. Command-S takes me nowhere. I don't have a recent backup of my HD, I'm at my wits end Please tell me all is not lost.
I have no idea why I wasn't notified of this post... sorry this SOO late. Did you get the problem fixed? Let me know.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

LOL I'd even forgotten I posted here. Thanks for the reply anyway. I never did find out what caused the problem, but was able to get her up and running. I put in my Panther install disk and it booted right into the install. I figured all might be lost on my harddrive, but did an archive and install anyways. And it worked and has been eversince.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know how to connect to a network printer with a mac? I have a wireless network at home and at the office. At the office, everything is wireless, including the printer. The printer is connected via usb to a linksys wireless g print server. I have the IP address to the printer. I installed the printer software, but the software could not find the printer. I could see the printer port on the router from os x, but every time I tried to install it, the printer would just spit out random pages. When I actually tried to print to it, os x said that the printer is busy, will retry in 10 seconds.

At home I have a wired network between the desktops and a wireless router for the laptop. I have the usb printer hooked up to one desktop, and have enabled windows sharing (this printer works over the network for the other desktop flawlessly) Through osx, I can see the network, actual computer the printer is hooked up to, but I cannot see the actual printer.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!