GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

Finished install on my New Cobra 75 WXST

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Finished install on my New Cobra 75 WXST

Finally finsihed installing my Cobra CB unit--Much Thanks to BOB_98SR5 and Mertzr (Tom) for the great write ups in the Tech section of this forum...

I decided to use the ProFit mount to hold the handset control unit...Make for easy handling and cleaner looking install...

I also decided to mount the connector box or remote unit under the drivers seat-- I found that where (Bob)&(Tom) had mounted theirs , My foot would sometimes hit the unit when stepping on the gas pedal...This was not good

Under the seat the unit was completely out of the way and I had plenty room under there to begin off with making also for easy access...

Last edited by Noliwan; 07-01-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

More PIC's...

I use the FireStik MK 204 instead of the MK274 mount and installed it as suggested on the Tech write up... Worked great...

Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

5' FireStik II Antenna...

It was recommended by the dealer that I use the 5' instead of the 4' FireStik antenna for better clearance over the roof top...

Note: I still have not tuned the SWR on the CB and Antenna-- will be getting that done today by a Pro shop here in the Bay Area...

Last edited by Noliwan; 07-01-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 PM

nicely done. i have an older 63gtl model (still the remote install) that i got used for $20! however, i have not been able to find any info on the unit in regards to the original inline fuse that came with the unit's wiring harness. could you tell me what came with yours? just so i can get an idea. thanks, and nice work again!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

That antenna is huge!! I'd try to fab up a small bracket that attaches the antenna to the wind deflector to keep it from flapping and banging into your truck.

nice clean install
Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdastg1
That antenna is huge!! I'd try to fab up a small bracket that attaches the antenna to the wind deflector to keep it from flapping and banging into your truck.

nice clean install
i use a bungee to secure the antenna to a point on my roof rack. i also attach a rubber bumper on the antenna to prevent damage to it as well as the 4runner itself. works well

bob
Old 07-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bflooks
nicely done. i have an older 63gtl model (still the remote install) that i got used for $20! however, i have not been able to find any info on the unit in regards to the original inline fuse that came with the unit's wiring harness. could you tell me what came with yours? just so i can get an idea. thanks, and nice work again!
I believe it came with a 30 amp inline fuse --I connected the power line to a switched 12V source-- not directly to the battery.. and ran the wires under the carpet--I checked the fuse in the holder...Pretty sure it was a 30 amp glass fuse...

Edit: Just ran out to verify the fuse...It's actually only a 2 amp 250v rating fuse inline with the power wire directly to the remote unit... and I have it tapped into the ACC. which has a 15 Amp fuse out of the vehicle fuse box...

Last edited by Noliwan; 07-13-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 PM

No offense, but the CB front and center-like some kind of hillbilly doesn't seem to match the rest of the look of your truck(carbon fibre trim,very clean exterior,nice stereo,lots of gofast parts) You have a very smooth, very luxury looking 4runner with a nice uncluttered appearance.
The spot where you have the handset mounted looks like it would interfere with the passenger legroom. How often do you plan on using the CB?
I use mine only on trail runs, which at most is 2 trips a month. Don't you ever have anyone sitting there more than that?

I have the same CB also, I ran the handsets wire from the control unit(mounted like bob/tom) along the bottom of the center console and exits on the drivers side near the seatbelt latch. From there the coiled portion of the wire runs straight up the side of the center console where I store the handset on top of the cd's that are in there. It is very inconspicuous and is readily available. I also notched the lower tray that has the coinholder molded into it so the handset cord wouldn't get pinched. Keep it in mind if you decide yours is in the way too much.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobT2k
No offense, but the CB front and center-like some kind of hillbilly doesn't seem to match the rest of the look of your truck(carbon fibre trim,very clean exterior,nice stereo,lots of gofast parts) You have a very smooth, very luxury looking 4runner with a nice uncluttered appearance.
The spot where you have the handset mounted looks like it would interfere with the passenger legroom. How often do you plan on using the CB?
I use mine only on trail runs, which at most is 2 trips a month. Don't you ever have anyone sitting there more than that?

I have the same CB also, I ran the handsets wire from the control unit(mounted like bob/tom) along the bottom of the center console and exits on the drivers side near the seatbelt latch. From there the coiled portion of the wire runs straight up the side of the center console where I store the handset on top of the cd's that are in there. It is very inconspicuous and is readily available. I also notched the lower tray that has the coinholder molded into it so the handset cord wouldn't get pinched. Keep it in mind if you decide yours is in the way too much.
No Offense Taken... I understand your point of view...
Everyone tells me the same thing...My 4Runner looks too clean and if I even ever take her out offroading... they find it hard to believe that I actually do... I just like to have my truck nice clean & uncluttered...

The CB head unit is not in place all the time, only when I go out on the trails... I have my Cell phone mount there during normal work weeks and daily driving... The ProFit mount has good enough clearance as to not interfere with the passenger leg room...That's one of the reasons I bought it-- dual functionality-- for my cell phone mount and the CB head unit...

I have my 4Runner set up to have the best of both sides-- as you've seen on my sig I have many "as you say go fast parts..." I like the speed but most important the increase HP that I've gain... Who wouldn’t mind having 230 RWHP & 265 lbs of torque? I have the advantage of speed on the streets when I need it yet still able to function well off-road also... moderate only-- nothing hardcore or extreme...plus the feel of a bit of luxury when driving... wouldn’t you agree...

When not in use I store the CB head unit behind the drivers seat slip pocket where it is well protected and out of site...

I have no room inside the center console as you mentioned as I have other important things stored in there... But that is the best place to store it if I did... I have read up on the many possible locations as to where to mount the CB unit before I did the installation, but I find this was the best to my preference...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yea, i have a cell mount near that spot:

id say 1 in 20 times someone knocks my cell phone out of the holder

oh well.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Nice work!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:26 AM

Yea, the whole handset can just unplug and go into the center consule unless using it for wheeling. Good set up. Did you tune it yet?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog
Yea, the whole handset can just unplug and go into the center consule unless using it for wheeling. Good set up. Did you tune it yet?
I did have it tuned the day after I installed it-- Since I didn't have a SWR meter--I took it in to a local CB shop and had them tune it for me-- the guy only charged me $7.50

My SWR readings are at:

Channel 1--1.8
Channel 20--1.5
Channel 40-- 1.3
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 AM

I LIKE that antenna mount! Much better than the piece of metal I now have between the top and the body on my 1st gen 4runner. I've finally resigned myself to drilling a hole or two into Sponge Bob. I'm assuming that the tailgate clearance on my 1st gen is similar to that pictured(?)

I'll have to search for the tech thread on this installation...

Noliwan - your SWR is good, but you can do better. The antenna is slightly too short (higher readings at lower frequencies), and should end up being a curve, instead of a linear reading. You can either tune it to be best in the middle and higher at the edges, or vice versa. The former makes more sense if you spend a lot of time on Ch 19, the latter if you are on single digit channels or an SSB guy on the top channels.

Go out and spend $20 on a decent SWR meter and teach yourself how to use it. Time, branches, garage doors, etc. will knock it out of tune, and the trip back to the CB shop will get to be a pain.

(formerly KLY7421 when Uncle Charlie was still giving out CB licenses)
A.K.A. "Unit 573 - the tower of power central coast CA" co-phased twin rotating stack 6 beams @ 1300' in the coastal mountains west of Paso Robles
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Thanks Greg...

I do want to learn to tune my CB/Antenna myself-- it looked pretty simple when I had it done at the Pro-Shop-- just did'nt think about buying one since my SWR were pretty good according to the expert there... and like I said on a previous post-- he only charged my $7.50--- Only took him about 5 mins...

But I do plan on buying a good SWR meter soon... any particular brand you can recommend...????
Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 AM

No... I don't have a particular brand recommendation - but you get what you pay for, as with most electronic devices. Don't go for the $10 version. Go find a hamfest in your area, and you will be overwhelmed with choices.

Where is that tech thread that you used for the installation?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
...in the Tech Forum