Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Subwoofer in Underseat compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subwoofer in Underseat compartment?

i just installed 6x9's in my yota under the side rear windows and its loud... bout not loud enough. ive read a few things about people punnting a sub under the rear seats. and one have any details on how they did this? or pics maybe?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can bet which seat your girlfriend's going to occupy.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Thats funny cuz she's the one who wants it she thinks just the 4" up front and 6x9 in rear are to peircing. Im not gonna say no to it either
Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have discussed this with a friend of mine that works for an audio equipment shop.

He said that he has installed a Kicker CVR 10" sub in the driver side compartment below the seat. You would have to insulate the compartment with fiberglass to keep it air tight.
Thats basically the short.

That is for a 3rd Gen pickup, though. You did not clarify which truck this is for

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize the truck was in your name
It should work fine, you will have to be very meticulous with the shape and try and keep it far enough away from the bottom of the seat to keep the sub from getting "thrashed"

Last edited by shaw_j; 04-28-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 91YotaExcab
Thats funny cuz she's the one who wants it she thinks just the 4" up front and 6x9 in rear are to peircing. Im not gonna say no to it either
I BET that's why.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

It would actually probably be easier to instal a Kicker L5 8" square sub underneath the seat.

They do not require as much air space in their boxes as 10" subs do.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Ive never wprked with fiberglass before. Ive done plenty of bondo work thought. this is my second yota and both have been in new england there whole lives. so im pretty good with bondo. Is fiberglass much different? can i still leave the seat there or will i have to remove it? Cuz i cant do that i got a kid on the way.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM

A square kicker would be nice those things are LOUD
Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 91YotaExcab
Ive never wprked with fiberglass before. Ive done plenty of bondo work thought. this is my second yota and both have been in new england there whole lives. so im pretty good with bondo. Is fiberglass much different? can i still leave the seat there or will i have to remove it? Cuz i cant do that i got a kid on the way.
I personally have never worked with either, but I've never hear of a sub box made of bondo..... haha

and if you use a Kicker or any other 8" sub for that matter it shouldn't be too hard to create the proper amount of airspace with enough room to put the compartment cover back on, and then the seat down on top of that.

I would honestly go into a audio equipment shop and talk this plan over. Get the right measurements for the airspace and then bust out the good ol' calculator before you go gung-ho and install something that ultimately wont fit!

I toyed with this idea myself, but in the end I just mounted my subs on top of the bench. I, however; do not have a kid on the way.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM

i wasent tryin to say id make it out of bondo. i just wanted to know if they were similar to work with. thanks for the input thogh
Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Now i dont know what's under the rear seats on a pick-up. but if it is anything like the 4Runner and has the Jack compartment. i recommend either moving the jack and custom fabbing a mounting system for a sub there OR on the other side of the jack compartment, cut that open space out, and fab up a holder for a jack. Similar to the 2nd gen Tundra's rear seat.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

The jack is in in the underseat compartment on the pax side the tool kit is belted under the drivers side but is very moveable. Trying to airtight the under seat area would be a RPITA. I've spoken with a couple of audio shops about this and there are a few problems, it is difficult to seal the space and getting a sub to match the calculated airspace is difficult because of the depth of the space and reflectivity of the surfaces. Further if you put a sub there you loose the ability to use the seat behind the driver if you ever need it.
If you are determined to use the space though there are several new shallow depth subs designed for ported boxes, if you can seal the underseat well enough you could use the space as a ported box and then still be able to use the seat... maybe...
Personally I'm saving up for a removable sub box. with the size of our cabs my audio tech says a single 8" or 10" will provide more than enough bass.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Trying to airtight the under seat area would be a RPITA.
I have to agree with you on this topic. However it is very possible if you have experience in working with fiberglass, basically you would have to line the entire compartment with fiberglass and keep it completely air tight, unless you are looking for a ported housing, in which case it may not fit. The 8" subs that are on the market right now require such a low amount of airspace that I'm pretty sure it would be very possible to be able to use the seat above the compartment.

After toying with this idea and discussing it many times with many different people, I took a completely different direction.
I ended up purchasing two Alpine R10's and put them in a dual slot port bassworx box, powered by an Infinity Reference series 1200 watt RMS amp.
that set up was pretty amazingly loud.

I set the box on top of the bench and removed the seats completely. It worked for me, and I was extremely satisfied with the sound quality/sheer volume i pulled out of that set up. Unfortunately I had to sell my entire set up this year (thank you college tuition fees) to be able to afford to snowboard since I had to quit my full-time job.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM

ok cut the hump out... makie it flat and put a 10 inch woofer... easy as that, thats what i have. actually i have 2 thin mount tens but it sounds like 1 normal ten
Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I just use a single ten in a sealed box. I just put it on the rear jump seat and if I need the room I just pull it out. It works for me although it's a cheap sub and amp so it's decent bass but nothing mind blowing.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had 3 JL 8W6's in mine for years and it worked great. I sealed the compartment with a full tube of silicone. I had to use my hand and fill all of the cracks but it worked fine. I made new doors out of wood and mounted 2 speakers in one side and one in the other all in shared airspace. When I was done I could tap one and the other two would move. I stufed it with fiberglass insulation as tight as I could get it to simulate a bigger space.

Soundwise it probably sounded like 2 10's. JL makes great speakers.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:18 PM

Does anyone know if the rear compartment frame unbolts from the truck? It seems like it would be easier to remove that and build something new from MDF and fiberglass. That way you wouldn't be limited by the top compartment doors. You could put the subs in any configuration or even build an amp rack under the seats. I'm finding that these trucks are a pain in the ass to install a hidden system as big as I want.
Jason
Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM

Im gonna crawl under there tomorrow and find out if it is removeable. That would make things 100x easier. Im still wondering about the fiberglass work though. Any one got some tips on this?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Before my truck got stolen in 2005 I used to have a JL Audio e1200 200 watt mono amp and I wired it to (2) JL Audio 6w0 6.5" true subs. I built a custom MDF box that was downfiring and I put it behind the passenger seat on the floor and covered it with grey carpet that virtually matched the factory floor carpet. Looked really good too and sounded pretty good. Those 6w0's give tight bass, have super shallow mounting depth and are great for tight situations to help round off the sound. If I had to do it differently I might even consider building custom boxes to mount them in the rear sides below the xtracab windows where the factory cubby hole is.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green93
Does anyone know if the rear compartment frame unbolts from the truck? It seems like it would be easier to remove that and build something new from MDF and fiberglass. That way you wouldn't be limited by the top compartment doors. You could put the subs in any configuration or even build an amp rack under the seats. I'm finding that these trucks are a pain in the ass to install a hidden system as big as I want.
Jason
No way. It's all spot welded in. I also remember hammering out the mounts for the jack out of there to make more room. Everything was welded in. I had to beat the hell out of it for about an hour with a hammer and chisel to get the mounts out of there.

It will all come out, but you're going to have to do a lot of grinding, cutting and hammering...

Quick Reply: Subwoofer in Underseat compartment?