Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool speakers

hello fellow yota owners,
ok so i want to upgrade my sound system in my 1990 4runner but i dont want anything major and i hate massive subs. so im thinking new 4 way speakers and a fancy cd player, with some new wires. and what im asking is what size of speakers are in my truck now are the front 2 just 6.5"? are the rear 6x9"?
and what kind of cd player would be a good one to get money is no barrier as my papa is a rich fella and my 18th birthday is the 13th of march. any help would be nice.

<---kinky little bugger eh?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

The front dash speakers are 4" and I think the rears are just 5x7s but don't quote me...
If money is no object then go with Boston Accoustics speakers they make a 4" coaxial that sounds way bigger and their 5x7/6x9 are excellent too...
Other then BA... JL Audio is almost as good but the 4" only comes in their bottom of the line TR series and they just are'nt as ballsie as the BAs...
If you can find them in a wreck [or have them already] the little plastic speaker boxes for the fronts that come as part of the premium sound package make a big difference to the fronts you may need to modify them a bit to fit the bigger magnets on the new speakers but it might be worth it talk to your installer/sales guy about it...
second piece of advice go to a few different specialty shops and talk to a few different guys tell them your goals with your system and discuss the options with them...
final piece of advice I'd consider adding a 4ch amp as well you won't need anything huge. Any HU alone just does'nt have enough power to drive the speakers properly.
JL makes a very nice amp in their 'slash' series "300/4" it has a small foot print and is compact enough to fit under a seat more or less out of sight.
Hope this helped Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 03-08-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:41 AM

with some "modification" the rear speaker boxes can fit 6x9's. i can't remember what size i pulled out before i upgraded. the fronts i'm pretty sure are 4", and definatly do the amp. that way you can eliminate the little amps in the back that make life suck with the new deck
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM

how much do amps run? could i do some "modifacations" and fit 6.5's and 6x9's??
Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenFlames
how much do amps run? could i do some "modifacations" and fit 6.5's and 6x9's??
amps run any where from $50 to $500 depending on brand and quality. you can do anything if you have the money and imagination 6.5 components 6x9 would be very easy to retro fit.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:51 PM

could i like "cut" some more room in the front to fit the 6.5s? and in the back for the 6x9s?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Fitting 6" up front would be virtually impossible there just is not enough room. You might be and stress might be able to get some 5.25s in there with a lot of cutting. The problem is the dash support frame on the drivers side and the glove box on the pax side.
You could get a set of those kick panel boxes for some 6"ers but you loose a lot of foot room particularly on the drivers side and it no longer looks stock.
+ your speakers will get full of mud and water and junk too I'd recommend marine rated speakers if you go with these things...

amps can even go up to the mid 1000's depending on brand and features...
the JL 300/4 I mentioned can be had for around $550 from crutchfeild the G series 4500 is $350.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM

alright well i looked around and found 2 6x9 sony xplods and 2 4" sony xplods and a sony xplod cd deck, im gonna put the rear 6x9s in some boxes. i can get all of this plus new wires and installed for 350CAD
Old 03-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. If you like decnt bass but dont want subs get some components.

This would take some cash but imo some of the best speakers you can buy...http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=COS&ser=GTI
Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

JBL is another excellent brand but I did'nt suggest them because they can sound a little "bright" but that may be just my ears lol, also it is a matter of the kind of music you listen to...
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont need bigger speakers you just need a good brand/model. With my Alpine Type-R speakers i can hear the vocals above the bass from my 12" JBL subs.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

I run Focal 6.5" components in my 4Runner....After installing them I decided I did not need a Sub...the base response is that good.

Focals are expensive and I do not have the tops in their line by any means...but in my opinion they blow everything else away. Got mine at woofersetc.com good prices on a lot of things.

I used to love Alpine stuff, but it is not what it used to be. I have two sets of Type-R speakers in my garage that the surround has come unglued on. I mean come on...it is supposed to be made for a car! IMO they make a lot of junk now....in the same boat as Sony Explodes...lots of marketing and fancy colors does not make a good speaker. I've had good luck and sound with Focal, Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics. Definitely go for components if you can...night and day difference.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM

yeah i dont like massive bass, rap is a no no so is metal, i listen to the tragicaly hip and the beatles, that style of music AKA the best knid
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

If you're a hip/beatles kind of guy then you need speakers that will give you a good clean sound... BA, JL, Polk are all good bets... JBLs will work if you need to be a bit more budget conscious but again the sound will be brighter which is not always a bad thing... what you might want to do is try to find a shop that will let you "audition" them in your ride...
You can start with the sound boards in the shop [bring your own music and try to use the actual HU or the closest they have to yours] this will help narrow down your choices but they will sound different in your car so an "onboard" test is best.
In other words install a set [rears are easiest] dial the sound back to rears only and try them in turn to see which set sounds best to your ear actually in the car. Any really good shop will probably allow this provided you commit to buy from them when you've made your selection.

Last edited by aviator; 03-09-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by GreenFlames
could i like "cut" some more room in the front to fit the 6.5s? and in the back for the 6x9s?
6.5 go on the doors pretty easily(check out Corey's old 4runner site). I just did this set up in my truck about a month ago and love it. I trimmed a little in the back to get the 6x9's behind the plastic in the stock locations, and took 1/2 plywood, and some fabric, and set it up a lot like Corey's old setup, but with the map pockets in the stock locations. If you do decide to mt speakers in the doors make sure you put it in a place where there is a gap in the metal, and there is enough room when behind them when the window is down and the door is closed. I know this sounds obvious, but it messed me up a couple times so I thought I should mention it.

I am be alone on this, but I actually found better bass from 6x9's then from components and they were a lot cheaper, but I guess that is a preference thing.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I did to my rear speaker boxes. I've modded them to accept a 5.25" speaker with very little work.

Post #17. Approx half way down the page.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...runner-118949/

BTW, I do believe that the stock speaker sizes on the 2nd gen 4Runners are 4T in the front, and 4" in the rear. The 4T's up front have a wierd bolt pattern, but you can mount regular ol 4 inchers up there no problem.

If you are interested in mounting a 6.5" in the rear, I'm fairly certain that you could, and still keep the stock box. I just chose not to because it would've complicated things more than I wanted to deal with, and besides, I already had the 5.25's.

If you have any questions with this, I'm always glad to help out.

I also run an 8" JL Audio sub in the rear. It's in a sealed, truck style box, but it sounds great.

Last edited by aviator; 03-10-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I run Focal 6.5" components in my 4Runner....After installing them I decided I did not need a Sub...the base response is that good.

Focals are expensive and I do not have the tops in their line by any means...but in my opinion they blow everything else away. Got mine at woofersetc.com good prices on a lot of things.

Focals are amazing! My dad had them in his S2K with an amp and omg they sounded great. They are extremely pricey though. I'd love to have them in my 4Runner but I don't think its worth it. Maybe in my next car
Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
I used to love Alpine stuff, but it is not what it used to be. I have two sets of Type-R speakers in my garage that the surround has come unglued on. I mean come on...it is supposed to be made for a car! IMO they make a lot of junk now....in the same boat as Sony Explodes...lots of marketing and fancy colors does not make a good speaker. I've had good luck and sound with Focal, Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics. Definitely go for components if you can...night and day difference.
I guess it depends, like the whole K&N controversy where some hate it and other love it. I have had my alpines for 4 years now. nothing but perfection. i do wish i had a 94+ so i could have had the extra 2 speakers in the rear but maybe later. And the speakers hold well even when i go down roads from hell.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
I guess it depends, like the whole K&N controversy where some hate it and other love it. I have had my alpines for 4 years now. nothing but perfection. i do wish i had a 94+ so i could have had the extra 2 speakers in the rear but maybe later. And the speakers hold well even when i go down roads from hell.
It does get really hot here in Texas so that could be the reason they did not stay glued....but it may be pretty hot in Belize also...and actually I mis-spoke, they were Alpine components.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
Focals are amazing! My dad had them in his S2K with an amp and omg they sounded great. They are extremely pricey though. I'd love to have them in my 4Runner but I don't think its worth it. Maybe in my next car
Check out woofersetc.com when you get ready...I have the Focal Access 6.5" components...my wife bought my first set at Car Toys for like $319 for Christmas one year...I bought the second set for $199 at woofersetc.com...now they are like $219...didn't have to buy a sub though.

They blew me away when I heard them for the first time.

Quick Reply: speakers