Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...

ok,

i know this question has been asked quite a few times but i have been unable to find an answer, or a firm remedy in the replies.

I have a '92 4runner SR5 and Today i installed a new sony head unit, new JBL 6x4's up front in place of the factory standards.

tomorrow i will finish off the kenwood amp install under the seat and wire up the JBL 6x9's that i boxed.

i have the same problem as so many people who do this themselves have had. I have wired everything up right yet my rear speakers are not working. i realise now that it has something to do with the second wiring harness that operates the rear speakers and powers the built in amps.

i have figured that i have to splice both the car's power antenna wires to the new head units antenna wire. from what i have read this will give me my rear speakers only when i am listening to the radio as this is the only time that the rear speakers in-built amps are being powered. as soon as the cd/other source is used as the input poweer is effectively cut to the antenna, and seeing as the in-built amps are on the same circuit, the rear speakers shut down. this part i think i am clear on

one suggestion i read was to splice the head units amp aux power cable to the cars antenna cables hence supplying power to the antenna and therefor the rears amp's. i suppose this would work (i havent tried it yet), but then where can i get this power for my new amp. would i be able to do a 4 way splice with no adverse effects on 1. my new head unit and 2. my new amp.

my power antenna is actually disconnected as it dosnt work. it sits at half mast and has been unplugged at the antenna. radio reception is fine as it is.

can the factory rear speakers have the amp by passed?

or should i just not bother at all and disconnect the factory rears altogether from the head unit. my new amp feed is coming from the head units RCA outs.

my new JBL's will be more then enough but i just wanted to keep the standards for a bit more fill sound.

sorry if i have been a bit long winded in my question but as i said, i searched quite a few threads for these answers and was unable to find a solution

... so that anyone looking for this same answer can find it

thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you have aftermarket amplifier powering aftermarket rear speakers through an amp?

unclear on all you wrote... here are suggestions

if powering new speakers without an amp, wire directly to new radio outputs

if powering old speakers with just new radio, wire speakers directly from radio outputs to speakers

if powering new speakers with a new amplifier, RCAs from radio to amp, new speaker wires to speakers, and run the amp-on wire directly from new radio

amp-on wires can be connected to any accessory wire also, anything on when car is on, look in fuse box
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 AM

thanks WJ.

everything i installed is new. head unit. front speakers. rear speakers and amp.
everything new works perfectly as i found out today...YAY
but what i was trying to do was still utilize the factory rear speakers. I wired them up as per the wiring diagrams from www.installdr.com. the RCA is running from the head unit to the amp to run only the new equipment.
i understand what you are saying about using any accessory wire to power the factory amps
can the accessory power wire that runs to the new head unit be used/spliced?
are the amp-on wires the ones on the rear speaker loom that, in reference to the wiring diagram from installdr, are labeled "do not use"?
is there any reason why i could not use the same amp-on wire that runs the new amp ?

thanks again
Old 03-21-2008, 10:27 PM

skip the rear speakers...

search this forum for my posts and you'll constantly see i always say stereo is still king and using rear speakers might just make the sound really screwy.

my tips:

1. buy the biggest and baddest speakers for the fronts.
2. buy the biggest and baddest amp to power front speakers.
3. buy the biggest and baddest subwoofer.
4. buy the biggest and baddest amp to power the sub...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:40 AM

i guess i needed to actually find it myself...

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/869017.pdf

page 9 answers my questions
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 AM

completed...

the new sony head unit and the kenwood amp mounted to the rear of the back seats

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-017.jpg

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-012.jpg

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-008.jpg
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM

fronts

the front jbl 6x4's mounted in the factory position

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-010.jpg

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-011.jpg
Old 04-10-2008, 06:54 AM

rears

i usually have the rear full of my work gear and wanted to mount the speakers somewhere where i would get the most from them and... something different i suppose. still have to tidy up the wires. sounds great. looks good. doesnt take too much from the rear view either

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-007.jpg

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-004.jpg

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-003.jpg
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 AM

where is the PS3...

Rear Speaker Wiring advice wanted...-my-4runner-015.jpg

good for a laugh... no... i had to move it from house to house and it was too heavy to get out