Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Putting 5½ inch speakers in the dash of 2nd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting 5½ inch speakers in the dash of 2nd gen?

Quite frankly, I like the map pockets on my front doors, so I want to replace the front OEM 4 inch speakers in the dash with something a little better. Has anyone replaced these small cones with 5½ inch units with a little modification? Or have any good things to say about any particular type of 4 inch speakers? I don't have speakers in the back cargo area and my dog likes it that way, so I might consider some 6½ speakers in the rear doors too. What do you think?

Last edited by turbowhine; 06-25-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM

5 1/2 wont fit where the factory ones in the dash are. i would say pull your door panels and see what you could fit. shallow mount speakers would probably be a safe idea for the doors too.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5 1/2 will fit with slight modification. I had to bend the speakers a little after taking all the old 4" speakers and their boxes out. My bottom part of my dash isnt quite flush anymore, just about 1/8" of it sticks out but it doesnt mess anything up and now sounds great.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM

I recommend just installing 4" component speakers. Messing around with the dash is a pita and you really aren't going to gain much going from the 4" to the 5 1/2". You're not going to get a respectable amount of bass from either size speaker so really they're just there for the vocals and highs, add a sub for bass.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 PM

i say you just upgrade to better speakers. with the right speakers you can get amazing sound. i would say get some infiniti kappas and you will see about 3 times the improvement.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 AM

I got some 4 in dayton audio drivers from parts express very good price put some sealer around speaker to keep it air tight and got some great sound
Old 07-03-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i put 5 1/2" speakers in the dash of my 92 pickup. i had to do a lil grinding nothing major
Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got Memphis speakers under my dash, 4 inch, sound great till you crank the volume. They were in the truck when I got it though.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:55 PM

you can move the map pockets towards the rear of the doors. you may wanna check the seat recline handle though.

when i had a shop do mine for an insurance job, they mounted a wood baffle where the map pockets would be. then just remounted the pockets.

i never recline so i removed the plastic recline handle. so if i need to recline, i open the door and the flat metal handle is still there...

then they mounted the baddest 6.5" component speakers on the doors.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When i put 6x9s in the rear of my runner i ran the stock rear speakers (4.5" i think) up front for a while. Mounted right up by just running the screw into the mount. And i didnt use the speaker boxes btw.

But my buddy ended up giving me some infinity 4 inchers, and they work great, i can turn the sterio up to 25 out of 30 and it still sounds good with the set up just mentioned.

I think your best bet would be to buy a GOOD set of 4" for up front.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 AM

My son put 4 in dayton speakers front and rear sealed themand replaced the tweeters in the rear . they sound great you can turn it up and it sounds great
http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Id just say get a clear 4'' speaker that doesnt distort or anything u know nothin cheap, i have two 4'' kenwoods in my dash and they are really clear. Ur not goin to get any bass out of dash speakers really anyway so basicly there for treble and a little mid.

it would be the same with just a 4'' and alot easier
Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and resurrect this old thread...

Hi guys....

I just recently got laid-off from the County so I decided to use some of my unemployment to upgrade the stereo in my '92 4Runner. The PO (my aunt) had already upgraded the deck to a Pioneer FH-P4100 tape/CD/mp3 deck (4 channels, 50 watts, duel pre-outs with a subwoofer crossover) and she also put in extra speakers.

Here is my question:

Where can I mount additional speakers in the rear? Specifically, I am looking at putting additional tweeters in the tailgate. I went to pick-n-pull and pulled 8 of the 4Runner tweeters that mount just above the tailgate... so now I have a total of TEN tweeters. I have 2 8" Pioneer subwoofers in the back cargo area (replaced the stock 5 1/2" speakers) and am considering 6x9's in the two rear storage areas with those plastic doors. What do you have?

So far I have the two stock tweeters in the ceiling just above the tailgate, two mounted in the rear corners between the rear windows and tailgate, and now I am thinking of 2 or 4 *INSIDE* the tailgate somewhere. I have four 6 1/2" pioneers, one in each door and the rest is stock.

Do you have any interesting/unique mounting areas to show me? under the seat or in the b-pillars? I'm just looking for ideas. I spent some major $$$ on a few Pioneer amps, so once the speakers are installed I will be good to go
Old 10-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE!
Hi guys....

I just recently got laid-off from the County so I decided to use some of my unemployment to upgrade the stereo in my '92 4Runner. The PO (my aunt) had already upgraded the deck to a Pioneer FH-P4100 tape/CD/mp3 deck (4 channels, 50 watts, duel pre-outs with a subwoofer crossover) and she also put in extra speakers.

Here is my question:

Where can I mount additional speakers in the rear? Specifically, I am looking at putting additional tweeters in the tailgate. I went to pick-n-pull and pulled 8 of the 4Runner tweeters that mount just above the tailgate... so now I have a total of TEN tweeters. I have 2 8" Pioneer subwoofers in the back cargo area (replaced the stock 5 1/2" speakers) and am considering 6x9's in the two rear storage areas with those plastic doors. What do you have?

So far I have the two stock tweeters in the ceiling just above the tailgate, two mounted in the rear corners between the rear windows and tailgate, and now I am thinking of 2 or 4 *INSIDE* the tailgate somewhere. I have four 6 1/2" pioneers, one in each door and the rest is stock.

Do you have any interesting/unique mounting areas to show me? under the seat or in the b-pillars? I'm just looking for ideas. I spent some major $$$ on a few Pioneer amps, so once the speakers are installed I will be good to go
thats a whole lot of tweeters, i guess you like your treble

do you have them hooked up through crossovers, and are you trying to run them all of the factory head unit? or are you individually amplifying the tweeters?

whats the goal you are trying to accomplish with all the tweets? in my opinion you can probably get the sound you are looking for out of two sets of good speakers and a nice amplifier.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE!
Hi guys....

Here is my question:

that is a pointless amount of tweets.
what kind of amps do you have?
honestly you need to trash all the speakers, keep the deck (if you like it) and get a 4-6 channel amp (depending on what amps you already have)
if i were you i would get two sets of image dynamics component speakers, power them accordingly, get some door deadener! no matter what speakers you get without deadening it they will sound bad, replace the tweets in back (stock position) with some tweets from sonicelectronix.com, get one or two amps to power all of it!
if you are pleased with the subs then great on you but there are a few subs i would recomend if you wanted to upgrade, also have you upgraded your alternator? even with a small amp you can put a large load on your alt, adding speaker amps onto sub amps will really drain your alt and you will end up blowing fuses and burning ˟˟˟˟ up.
so insted of waisting money on more tweets just get two good sets of component speakers, get an apropriet amp for them, and deaded your doors, that will do you alot better than 26 tweets and 4 mids.
pm me if you want me to find the best cheep equipment that will do what you require.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM

My stereo setup:

Here is what I wound up doing:

In the front dash I replaced the factory 4" speakers with Pioneer 3 1/2".

In the front doors I mounted Pioneer 5 1/4" D-series TS-D1320 speakers w/built in crossovers. Also in the front doors I swapped the old tweeters with new Interface tweets. Since there was already tweeters mounted in the top of the doors, it wasn't difficult to change them (the holes were already cut by the p.o.)

In the rear doors I went with Pioneer 6 3/4" D-series TS-D1720C with w/built in crossovers. Again, I didn't have to do much because the p.o. has some Polks back there...I wouldn't have replaced them but they were starting to vibrate and the new Pioneers are hard to beat. Especially with built in crossovers.

In the rear I have two Pioneer 8" shallow mount subs and two Pioneer 10" subs mounted in separate boxes. These subs are removable but the 8" subs are mounted permanently where the stock speakers used to be.

Also in the rear I have the two stock tweeters and two similar tweeters mounted in the rear side-corner. So yeah thats 4 tweeters in the back aimed toward the front... I was trying to keep some balance to all 4 of those subs and those monster mids I have in all 4 doors.

Powering all this is a brand spanking new Pioneer Digital Series GM-D9500F 4-channel bridgeable amp with 100 x 4 continuous power and a new type of built-in crossover. This amp powers all of the speakers with the exception of the four subs. I have this amp mounted under the passenger seat.

The 8" subs are powered by a new 1200W Pioneer Mono amp GM-D8500M which is mounted under my driver's seat. The 10" subs are driven by an old Pioneer 1000W mono amp from like, 2005. I have that mounted under my rear third seat. Like the 10's it powers, it is removable if I want to use the space. Oh, the third row seat ($25 pick-n-pull; my best junkyard find yet) comes out as well... so I can utilize the entire back of the Runner when I need to.

I already had a high-output alternator installed (100W amp with a small pulley so it will charge at idle) and a Optima Yellow-Top spare 2nd battery mounted between the rear seat and the third-row seat. I had a solenoid installed so that the alternator charges both batteries while the engine is running, but if the engine is off and the key is "ON", the spare optimal will power the stereo system. That way my regular battery won't die... and be able to start the engine when I need it.

I'm happy with the set-up. I'll try to post pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

EDIT: I shoulda mentioned that I have a Pioneer deck with cassette/cd & a remote installed in the dash by the previous owner. I wanted to keep it because it is a pioneer, and besides it is getting too hard to find a car stereo that still plays cassettes. Lest yee think me as old, I have an Mp3 player and Sirius (Sportster) satellite radio in the dash too.... I installed 'em myself! The deck is a 60W double-din Pioneer FH-P4100 with subwoofer RCA outputs & built-in a crossover network (I guess I am covered on crossovers). It was installed by the p.o. around 2003. I'll post some pictures on my profile.

Last edited by GO_BLUE!; 11-29-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 AM

sounds like you got ur ˟˟˟˟ together, only thing i would say is dump the tweets in back (keep ur stages apart, the sub waves are alot larger and will carry all around the vehicle, and ur mids sound good, but i think you could have done better for the price of pioneer, but thats just me. if you put some nice tweets in the front of the truck and amplify them bythemselfs then i think they will do better than putting a bunch of lesser value tweets all over, get a good set of components for the front and get some coaxle speakers in back (with the tweets built in) so u wont have to cut into interior.
but none the less just by adding deadening i think it will lighten up the potential of ur speakers, u seemed to power them aproprietly so they should sound fairly well if you deaden them.
but on the other hand you are going to need a bigger alternator!
by having a 2000watt rms amplifier you will need aproximatly a 250amp alternator to keep it from having a volt drop under heavy bass. i have a 2100rms amp on the stock 80 in my tacoma and i regret every dollar i spend on other usless crap when i could have gotten an alternator and not been blowing fuses and burning up batteries and now the alt. but luckly i just ordered a high ouput 180amp alt.
last thing is dont ride the pioneer bandwaggon, yea they have some good stuff, but for the price you can get alot better.
im not hattin on pioneer i had a pioneer deck in my truck for almost two years and pioneer speakers in all four slots, and two pioneer ten inch subs for a long time, but i spent a little more and got alot better stuff after my pioneer stuff went swimming.

but im glad you got ur runner music capable, i hate ridding in vehicles with stock systems (except new cars) or teens that throw a bunch of ˟˟˟˟ in there and say its bad ass!