Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Power to Amps

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
I'm well aware that you run big power and multiple batteries, etc. Overkill is the name of the game in what you are doing (I mean that in a good way) Quite frankly I was a little shocked to hear you recommending/defending the use of 8 ga. in the first place considering the source.
over kill may be great for some things, but if his amps are pulling under 30 amps, there is no reason to waste a run, and buy, and install a new one. we agree that 8awg is good for atleast 30 amps, our discusion was mainly what the safe max for 8awg was. bigger can be better, but at some point, (like running 2/0) for his "small" set up, will just add more resistance. the best thing to do in any case with things like this, is to not trust general standards and general calculator type things. your best off if you hook up that amp, crank it as loud as your going to have it, run a test cd through it, and use a multi meter to see what it pulls at peak. then add 15% to that number, and wire with that number in mind.

if you don't want to do that, and are wiring for the first time, go bigger, you can go with the factory specs, but many times they are off. and with car audio, they give peaks and not rms a lot, which may be a good thing, but it throws people off a lot.

one other thing to look at, a lot of amps have on board fuses, you know it will not pull more then that, so x2, and you have a very safe number to go with. but it's all just info untill we know what the amps are pulling. I'm sooo tired, i think it's time to go to bed. anyway,
Old 09-12-2005, 02:58 AM

just a thought, if you buy a generator, and ac power conditioner, i got a nice crest amp, throw the peak rating stuff out the window and run 2ohm stereo 3300w RMS, and be done with it. do your boxes have speakon connectors?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

/me opens the back of his 4Runner, reaches in...pulls out the fire extinguisher and sprays everyone down with it.

Thanks all...good stuff.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 AM

Ok seems like u got yours answered so Ill proceed with my question now
This is my thread

and I am waiting on my amp to come. I ended up buying a Boss 200w (or 400w @ 2ohm) rms monos sub amp (4ohms) for my Kicker Comp C8 woofer which is only rated at 100watts rms and 250 max/peak. It was the cheapest amp with the best reviews so I got it ; it comes with a bass db controller and I assume I can keep it low and keep the bass down on my HU as to not annihilate my new sub.

Anyway, my questions are with the powering of my amp. I figured in teh beginning since I wasn't running much (only 200watts max) to this sub that my qiring solutions were adequate. I want to ask you all what you think as I don't want any problems with the wiring since its under my seat and the carpeting.

So the amp is under my drivers seat and its being fed by 8 gauge power wire, with a 30amp inline blade type fuse mounted about 6" away from positive terminal. The wire length at most has to be 8 ft since it just goes from battery threw firewall directly under drivers seat (3rd gen). Im also using 8gauge ground wire that is only about 10" away from the amp location.
Im using really small 16 gauge (same as stock stuff) speaker wiring to the sub and this is really the only thing that I was skeptical about. I am thinking of upgrading the wiring to 12 gauge.

Anyhow aside from that, what do you guys think? Toda bien? TIA,

Austin
Old 09-12-2005, 09:24 AM

I think that you're doing great, Austin, and will be impressed and pleased by your efforts.

Other than that, I ran some heavy gauge "Monster Cable" to my sub, but that was primarily because I had it sitting around, although you'll probally be fine with the 16 ga., I'd more likely than not go ahead with the 12 ga. to help diminish the possibility of signal degradation.

After this, the only thing that I can think of to tell you at the moment is to go easy on the sub when you first get it all hooked up to allow time for the surround to get "broken in" for the best sound reproduction.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cebby
Let's agree that it's a misunderstanding on both parts - like the crack about "particularly as a moderator" which in your context I take offense to - regardless of the "No offense" preface..

I posted a link from a recognized industry leader in car audio wiring that recommends 4 ga. Your early posts (several of them) stated 8 ga was fine. I had missed where you said "30amp max in 8ga or then upgrade to 4ga." - my apologies. According to Streetwires, 4 ga is good for 500 watts up to 25 feet. (8 ga good for 200 watts) I'm sure for them to put a calculator on their site like that, it is on the conservative side - probably a good thing.

You did not recommend 1/0 or 2 ga for this application - I agree (nor did I specifically say you did) - another contributor at the beginning of the thread (post #2) said to use 0 ga. Just noting that if DavidA is buying open box specials that he probably doesn't want more money in his power wire than his amp. My contention is that 4 ga is probably a good (and safe) compromise.

I'm well aware that you run big power and multiple batteries, etc. Overkill is the name of the game in what you are doing (I mean that in a good way) Quite frankly I was a little shocked to hear you recommending/defending the use of 8 ga. in the first place considering the source.
In some instances you can get away with it, such as stinger, but I was wrong in making the generalization that any 8ga would handle more than 30amps.

The reason I made that post was because it seemed like you were taking a cheap shot at me....even if that wasn't the case.

Originally Posted by rider_1313
just a thought, if you buy a generator, and ac power conditioner, i got a nice crest amp, throw the peak rating stuff out the window and run 2ohm stereo 3300w RMS, and be done with it. do your boxes have speakon connectors?
To whom are you talking to?

If me, Zapco amp's ratings are only in rms...damn good amps. Very very tightly regulated, 24 or 48dB/octave selectable cuts, 2ohm mono stable, extremely efficient, full range capability, adjustable clip settings, adjustable temperature protection, adjustable remote turn on delay, power supplies stay rock steady at 100-104 vac even if the DC voltage drops below 11v! If ya cant tell I love my zapcos!

In some of my older setups each 9.0 (of 4) would do a rms 1950 watts. 91.6vac and 21.3ampres at 57hz with a DCR of 2ohm, this is with the voltage going from 12.9v to 10.5v at the end of the burp. Now im burping at 43hz and in a much larger box, so I dont know what power they are doing, however the score is exactly 1dB louder...

Tell me about this Crest amplifier, sounds FUN!

What are 'speakon connectors'?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 09-12-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 PM

haha, I was mainly discussing david a's "other" options. I think your amps are great for you, seeing as the crest is VAC. speakon connectors are a 12awg, 4-8 conductor wire with one multi pin, locking, universal(no male or female),connector on the end. used in system wiring.