Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Non-Toyota ('01 Volkswagen Jetta) Stereo install, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-Toyota ('01 Volkswagen Jetta) Stereo install, need help!

I have a nice almost brand new Alpine CDA-7894 CD/MP3 deck that a friend gave me and I'd like to install it in my girlfriends '01 Jetta GLS wagon. I have never swapped a deck but I know I can do it. I just need to know what exactly I need before I get started.

Thus far I have purchased a conversion wiring harness and a radio antenna adapter. I know I need DIN removal tools to get the factory deck (single-DIN head unit with an additional single-DIN storage pocket) out and I can get those from Crutchfield, however I don't know if I need one or two sets (each set has two tools). The place I bought the harness from locally also said they can pop the factory deck out for me if I drop by so I'm not too worried about that. Mostly I am worried about getting the wiring straight and securing the deck solidly to the dash.

The harness I bought has a quick-disconnect fitting on one end but the other end is a bunch of exposed wires. I was hoping for a "plug-and-play" harness but I guess such a thing doesn't exist? I'd rather pay more and ge something that will install super easy. Anybody know the deal on that?

My final question is does the Alpine deck just slide right into the dash or do I need some Jetta-specific fitting for it?

Sorry for the basic questions, I have never worked on car audio equipment before.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bare wires get connected to the bare wires on the Alpine. Then it plugs into your harness. For something like this, using Butt terminals is fine.

It's been years and years since I touched a VW. Does it have the small 4 holes in the face? If so, you need one set of tools. You can likely get by with a pair of bent coat hangers. You need to have the wire in all the holes at once. Slightly push the wires out from the center - this frees the mechanism holding the radio and will to allow you to pull the radio.

The mechanism attached to the sides of the VW radio will be reused on the Alpine. These things are pretty standard. You should not need any other trim or hardware. Measure the radio faces to be sure, but I doubt it.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 AM

if your factory stereo has a anti-theft feature then check stores if you need to by pass such system. Also, check for factory amplifier coz you need to by pass this too for you to be able to use your factory speakers.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:13 AM

Go here.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=12
Old 03-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the help guys I think I got all the info I needed from your answers!