Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

My audio install

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My audio install

Hello,

Some months ago I decided to upgrade the audio of my carputer (See Project 4Puter).

Untill that moment I was amplifying the computer audio with an integrated amplifier that my touchscreen had, but I decided to sell that crappy chinese touchscreen and buy another better one, with less reflection and more contrast (And no amplifier).

This is why I choose to improve my audio system.

I got a good 4 channel 100W RMS amp cheap from a friend (He used to work in an audio shop) so I was trying to decide if install 4 2-way component systems or 2 component systems and a subwoofer. I was a bit worried about the sound in the rear seats if I install a subwoofer and no speakers in the rear, this is why I choose to install a 3 separate way component system.

I choose to go with Hertz. I think this brand isn't very popular in the States, here it is, is a top quality brand, not very known.

Crossovers (Huge), tweeters, 4'' midwoofers and 6'' woofers

And for the sub, as I didn't want to loose cargo space I choose a 8'' JBL GTO with sealed enclosure. I prefer the sealed enclosure sound, more round. I listen to heavy metal, black metal and so, not electronic music...

I began with the sub enclosure. Take some measurements, calculated liters and began cutting wood. I used DM wood, don't know how is it named in English, its a compressed wood dust which loves speakers hehehe

Here you can see the cardboard model and a step to get in the cargo area

Began to cut wood

It's important to have the enclosure air tight so I used glue in the unions, screws and wood putty in the corners

Screw hole detail so the head don't protudes

It begins to take shape

A way to figure the exact size of the cut. It's difficult because it's not a level cut

Ready to go

Let's go glueing and screwing

What a mess, was cold out there hehehe

Putty

Subwoofer location

Nice fitting

Only two sides to go

Ready and being puttyed (Will be carpeted later)

Speaker wire connector

Speaker wire install

25mm2 section cable

Amp ground

My friend suggested me to put the fuse in a suspended braket, so I did it

Tubing the power wire (Notice I run the wire by the driver's side and took the positive from the passenger battery, 3.0TD 4Runners had stock dual batteries)

Clean engine bay

Fuse bracket

Cable running in the cab

Connecting the amp

Nice and gold terminals

Amp location

Began cutting the door panel

Seems to be OK

Let's change the color

Was my first time with this

Let's redo the door panel

Not the same color but it's nicer in the reality

Hope you like it. I don't have pics of the filters installed...

Ah! And the tweeters go in the stock location in the trunk, very good for titanium tweeters that use to be a bit louder than silk ones.

David
Old 07-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice pictures David, looks like a big job.
It is fun doing a lot of that stuff yourself.

I did quite a bit of the work in my 4Runner on my stereo.

Looking forward to seeing the sub when it is carpeted.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:43 AM

Glad you like it hehe

I try to do all I can myselft, I think the only thinks I've not done to my truck is building the bumper and install the lockers...

I've still to go to buy some carpet, I know a big shop but I haven't had time to go... And it sounds so nice... Hehehehe

David
Old 07-12-2006, 04:28 AM

Wow, that is some class A work. Looks awsome!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you say 3.0 Turbo Diesel?!!? I WANT ONE!

FANTASTIC install. Thanks for sharing!
:big2:

Last edited by TNRabbit; 07-12-2006 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the "DM wood" looks like particle board or something similar to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

David, great job..!

What motherboard do you use for your carputer? I use VIA M10k & am in the process of moving stuff from my old car to the 4Runner. I ended up taking the stereo deck & eq combo out and replaced it with the LCD monitor. Where have you located your LCD?

Btw, the pictures showed a cover for the cargo area. Did the vehicle come with the cover or you put it in?
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome. I also have Hertz components in my 3rd gen w/ a Hertz 12" sub. The sub came in a Hertz box pre-made and it's real easy to take in/out of the truck if I need the space. I just strap it down w/ some bungy cords and I'm good.

I was a little leery about the brand but a buddy of mine starting importing these recently and said he likes them better than some really expensive stuff here in the states. I have to say that I like them a lot. I've had MB Quart and Boston Pros in the past and these are very comparable, if not better.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:59 AM

I was considering buying some Hertz to accompany my MB Quarts, but a salesman suckered me into buying some Focals instead. Ive never heard Hertz speakers, and Im hoping Im not going to be kicking myself sometime soon.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gregbreakseverything
I was considering buying some Hertz to accompany my MB Quarts, but a salesman suckered me into buying some Focals instead. Ive never heard Hertz speakers, and Im hoping Im not going to be kicking myself sometime soon.
I'm not an audiophile but I heard both in the same type of car and couldn't notice a difference in quality, only a difference in price. My buddy (where I bought these) swapped out his Focals for the top-of-the-line Hertz speakers and they sound really good.

BTW, I have the middle range speakers, not the top shelf...
Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 AM

The DM wood is some kind of high density wood, they take the wood dust and compress with glue at some tones pressure. It's a very nice wood to do speaker stuff.

My 4Puter is based on a VIA EPIA M10000 mobo also, with an M1-ATX power supply.

The M1-ATX is very nice, survives engine cranks, has a remote output for the amp so the speakers don't POP! and also you can connect the key 12V so it starts and turns off your carputer automatically.

I love my Hertz speakers, when I tested the tweeters over the crossovers before installing them I thought they were a bit loud, but then I put them in the trunk and voilà, I have now them in +2dB and the sound is nice...

Now listening metal bands that use keyboards is a delice, and also listening to bands with strong bass drums like Metallica is amazing.

As for the cargo area cover, it was stock, all the Spanish 4Runners I've seen have them, but you don't want to know how much is it...

A friend of mine bought a V6 and the previous owner don't give him the cover. He asked in the stealer and get a quote of 400€ (507$ aprox.)!!!

Then we went to some yards and found one with a bend in the middle. We paid 60€ (77$) because of the bend, if not they would have wanted 120€...

David
Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blizzard
The DM wood is some kind of high density wood, they take the wood dust and compress with glue at some tones pressure. It's a very nice wood to do speaker stuff.
Probably goes without saying but... sounds comparable to MDF here in the US. It's many layers of highly compressed wood dust and glue.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... awesome install and write-up! Great pics!

A few comments...

Originally Posted by Blizzard
Speaker wire install

Are the speaker and/or amp input wires running next to the power wire? If so, that could potentially cause noise in the system. A good practice is to run the speaker wires on the opposite side of the vehicle. Yeah, it's more work, but worth it for a clean signal.

Clean engine bay

I'm jealous.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 AM

Well, the friend that helped me in the install is very tricky with this things... He said me the critical wires to isolate from power wires are the previous ones, the ones that give the signal to the amp. As my head unit is a computer and I have it in the trunk the power and previous lines are separated and I get no noises.

I got a little noise because of the computer having the ground in different place than the amp, but now I have two ground loop isolators and it's perfect, no noises at all and a veeeeeeery nice sound in the speakers hehehe.

David

PS: 4x4paz, yes! MDF is the name of the wood. We name it DM, don't know what's the meaning.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

great writeup! thanks for sharing. i'm looking forward to more pictures.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

awesome job! sweet work on the doors!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice work on all of it!!! hope to see pics of the finished inside and finished box : )
Old 07-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! Awesome work!! I especially like how you redid the doors.
Sometime later I might have to steal some of your ideas.