Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

installed new CD player... now problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed new CD player... now problems

(I first put this into the Audio section, but i got no luck over there)

Well I installed a new CD player, Sony CDX-F5700. Well thats besides the point.

Stock Head-Unit I had 6 speakers powered 2 front, 2 rear side panels and the 2 rear high center.
Sony Head-Unit, I now have 2 fronts and the 2 rear high center ones working. I did have one cable that I didn't hook up. It looks like a smaller version of a Radio Atenne, is that something for the rear speakers?

Here is a Pic: (Top one)

Link to the pic if the picture doesn't work.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

hmm. Did not have a problem after putting mine in. You are not using the stock amp at all, right? I don't recall ever seeing that second connector in the picture, I am guessing it has something to do with either a disk changer or other device.

Are you using an aftermarket harness? The process is pretty much fool-proof if you did.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Mine had the same wire. It isn't hooked to anything. I am guessing you just haven't hooked the fronts up or the head unit isn't adjusted to make them work in the front.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 AM

I pulled out the factory CD player and a little box with it. I use the Schoshe harness...

That connecter was also pluged into the rear or the Headunit.

The little box I could describe as a junction box or something like that. The only way I could hook up the new Sony is if I removed that little box.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a nice lookin deck by the way!

Did you take out the preamp first?
With your deck you should be wiring directly to the speakers which plug into the preamp.
If you need a wiring diagram for the stereo wire colors go over to www.the12volt.com and search or post for one.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

That second connector is usually for the diversity anntena. I didn't think 2nd Gen Runners had them.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:42 PM

diversity anntena???? please explain...

this is mine: 5700 the one above is the 5705... only difference is the face plate.

Last edited by wvuviv30; 01-13-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:21 PM

I just installed my new HU this morning. the smaller one of those two connectors went into a premarked antenna wire on my harness. THe bigger one went into my preamp connector.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:09 AM

what kit did you use?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:18 AM

I orderd mine from Crutchfield, so I used the free one that they gave me. You can order it on their site for like $14.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:33 AM

NEW... I will not recommend a Sony headunit...

1/2 of the MP3 disk doesn't play... skips on regular CDs, even new ones...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:03 PM

well Installing my old headunit back in I noticed that the rear speaker connector has an extra wire...

I am looking at installdr... they list the two in with the rear aspeaker as not being used... Well I have wire there... I wonder if it an amp turn on or something...
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf
Old 01-23-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wv:

the smaller one (top) is the diversity antenna and the bottom one is the power for your stereo. its identical to the one i have on my 3rd gen

and im so glad i dont have a 2nd gen...thats a lot of effort to change a stereo out!

bob
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Actually the Blue/yellow wire is the power to the stereo. I had this same question when I installed mine. The big one is the main antenna wire and the second smaller one is a secondary antenna that I didn't even use. You might could splice it in with the bigger one, but I just taped it up and left it hanging. I had all of the instructions and wiring harnesses from Crutchfield and the total time to install was about 2 hours, start to finish and I even replaced my 4" speakers in the dash. I have to give the props to Crutchfield though, the instructions were detailed and I even called about that smaller antenna wire.

To clarify, The install was on my '93 4 Runner.

Last edited by yotahog; 01-25-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

i got a 3rd gen. and an alpine unit, i didnt use the stock amp. the second coax, the smaller one, is another antenna coax/wire, the antenna is located on the rear passanger side window, the way some one else explained it ( on here ) was toyota stock stereos use both antennas, it looks for the better signal and will use that one. hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:22 PM

You are exactly right. That is the secondary antenna I'm talking about. I didn't use that one, b/c there is no way to hook it up to the new deck, and I didn't think there would be much use in splicing my main antenna wire. Very good explaination. I was able to go into Crutchfield, into my account where I ordered my deck and the pdf of the installation instructions are available. I downloaded them and should be able to send them to anyone that would want them. Just let me know. It is for a 2nd Gen 4 Runner, and also includes the instructions to replace all the speakers and the antenna.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:04 PM

Had same problem- only high rears are working

I just installed a new Pioneer 7700 Head unit. I hooked everything up and I'm only getting sound from the rear high speakers. The fronts work fine. I didn't really have time to troubleshoot yet. Does this have to do with bypassing the factory amp??

Thanks for any input.

Scott
Old 03-10-2005, 06:05 PM

Currently installing a Kenwood HU in my 93. Hoping all 4 rear speakers will still work. Does anyone know how they are wired? Does the factory amp push 6 channels or are the rear 4 wired together so they draw like one pair? if that is even possible? just curious how a four channel head can push 6 speakers?

also, has anyone tried keep the factory amp and use it in any way?
thx
Old 03-10-2005, 06:44 PM

luniere, I hope you received my email with the instructions. I have looked down in the boxes that the rear speakers are mounted to and there's alot of circuitry down there and a very good audio guy at my local shop said that those rigs have a separate amp in the rear for each speaker, so maybe that's what I saw in the boxes. I do know that I just bypassed the little amp under the deck, mainly b/c my wiring harness was set up that way. I don't think it would work sending wattage from the new deck through the amp.

I would just hook it up by the diagram b/c my rear speaker came to life with the new deck. I hope this helps, but let me know if you don't get the PDFs
Old 03-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Yotahog. Got the pdf's. Really appreciate that.

Unfortunately, I put it all together as specified and my rear panel speakers don't work -- just the upper rears. Used the schoshe harness and noticed that is is missing two connector prongs that the factory harness had. i think wvuviv30 mentioned that in his post. could these be for those speakers? has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it?

Quick Reply: installed new CD player... now problems