YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   installed new CD player... now problems (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/installed-new-cd-player-now-problems-49155/)

wvuviv30 01-13-2005 06:30 AM

installed new CD player... now problems

(I first put this into the Audio section, but i got no luck over there)

Well I installed a new CD player, Sony CDX-F5700. Well thats besides the point.

Stock Head-Unit I had 6 speakers powered 2 front, 2 rear side panels and the 2 rear high center.
Sony Head-Unit, I now have 2 fronts and the 2 rear high center ones working. I did have one cable that I didn't hook up. It looks like a smaller version of a Radio Atenne, is that something for the rear speakers?

Here is a Pic: (Top one)
http://image30.webshots.com/30/3/18/...6GJbnRN_ph.jpg

Link to the pic if the picture doesn't work.

payyourtoll 01-13-2005 07:36 AM

hmm. Did not have a problem after putting mine in. You are not using the stock amp at all, right? I don't recall ever seeing that second connector in the picture, I am guessing it has something to do with either a disk changer or other device.

Are you using an aftermarket harness? The process is pretty much fool-proof if you did.

Mickdady 01-13-2005 08:24 AM

Mine had the same wire. It isn't hooked to anything. I am guessing you just haven't hooked the fronts up or the head unit isn't adjusted to make them work in the front.

wvuviv30 01-13-2005 08:59 AM

I pulled out the factory CD player and a little box with it. I use the Schoshe harness...

That connecter was also pluged into the rear or the Headunit.

The little box I could describe as a junction box or something like that. The only way I could hook up the new Sony is if I removed that little box.

MTL_4runner 01-13-2005 09:33 AM

That is a nice lookin deck by the way!
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/b_cdxf5700.jpg

Did you take out the preamp first?
With your deck you should be wiring directly to the speakers which plug into the preamp.
If you need a wiring diagram for the stereo wire colors go over to www.the12volt.com and search or post for one.

DrBeau 01-13-2005 10:09 AM

That second connector is usually for the diversity anntena. I didn't think 2nd Gen Runners had them.

wvuviv30 01-13-2005 08:42 PM

diversity anntena???? please explain...

this is mine: 5700 the one above is the 5705... only difference is the face plate.
http://images.cardomain.net/products...CDXF5700_1.jpg

INsr5runner 01-13-2005 09:21 PM

I just installed my new HU this morning. the smaller one of those two connectors went into a premarked antenna wire on my harness. THe bigger one went into my preamp connector.

wvuviv30 01-14-2005 05:09 AM

what kit did you use?

INsr5runner 01-14-2005 07:18 AM

I orderd mine from Crutchfield, so I used the free one that they gave me. You can order it on their site for like $14.

wvuviv30 01-15-2005 08:33 AM

NEW... I will not recommend a Sony headunit...

1/2 of the MP3 disk doesn't play... skips on regular CDs, even new ones...

wvuviv30 01-23-2005 03:03 PM

well Installing my old headunit back in I noticed that the rear speaker connector has an extra wire...

I am looking at installdr... they list the two in with the rear aspeaker as not being used... Well I have wire there... I wonder if it an amp turn on or something...
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf

Bob_98SR5 01-23-2005 04:21 PM

wv:

the smaller one (top) is the diversity antenna and the bottom one is the power for your stereo. its identical to the one i have on my 3rd gen

and im so glad i dont have a 2nd gen...thats a lot of effort to change a stereo out!

bob

yotahog 01-25-2005 01:05 PM

Actually the Blue/yellow wire is the power to the stereo. I had this same question when I installed mine. The big one is the main antenna wire and the second smaller one is a secondary antenna that I didn't even use. You might could splice it in with the bigger one, but I just taped it up and left it hanging. I had all of the instructions and wiring harnesses from Crutchfield and the total time to install was about 2 hours, start to finish and I even replaced my 4" speakers in the dash. I have to give the props to Crutchfield though, the instructions were detailed and I even called about that smaller antenna wire.

To clarify, The install was on my '93 4 Runner.

Ric 01-25-2005 01:12 PM

i got a 3rd gen. and an alpine unit, i didnt use the stock amp. the second coax, the smaller one, is another antenna coax/wire, the antenna is located on the rear passanger side window, the way some one else explained it ( on here ) was toyota stock stereos use both antennas, it looks for the better signal and will use that one. hope this helps.

yotahog 01-25-2005 01:22 PM

You are exactly right. That is the secondary antenna I'm talking about. I didn't use that one, b/c there is no way to hook it up to the new deck, and I didn't think there would be much use in splicing my main antenna wire. Very good explaination. I was able to go into Crutchfield, into my account where I ordered my deck and the pdf of the installation instructions are available. I downloaded them and should be able to send them to anyone that would want them. Just let me know. It is for a 2nd Gen 4 Runner, and also includes the instructions to replace all the speakers and the antenna.

qdogg 02-10-2005 01:04 PM

Had same problem- only high rears are working

I just installed a new Pioneer 7700 Head unit. I hooked everything up and I'm only getting sound from the rear high speakers. The fronts work fine. I didn't really have time to troubleshoot yet. Does this have to do with bypassing the factory amp??

Thanks for any input.

Scott

lumiere1122 03-10-2005 06:05 PM

Currently installing a Kenwood HU in my 93. Hoping all 4 rear speakers will still work. Does anyone know how they are wired? Does the factory amp push 6 channels or are the rear 4 wired together so they draw like one pair? if that is even possible? just curious how a four channel head can push 6 speakers?

also, has anyone tried keep the factory amp and use it in any way?
thx

yotahog 03-10-2005 06:44 PM

luniere, I hope you received my email with the instructions. I have looked down in the boxes that the rear speakers are mounted to and there's alot of circuitry down there and a very good audio guy at my local shop said that those rigs have a separate amp in the rear for each speaker, so maybe that's what I saw in the boxes. I do know that I just bypassed the little amp under the deck, mainly b/c my wiring harness was set up that way. I don't think it would work sending wattage from the new deck through the amp.

I would just hook it up by the diagram b/c my rear speaker came to life with the new deck. I hope this helps, but let me know if you don't get the PDFs

lumiere1122 03-11-2005 11:41 AM

Yotahog. Got the pdf's. Really appreciate that.

Unfortunately, I put it all together as specified and my rear panel speakers don't work -- just the upper rears. Used the schoshe harness and noticed that is is missing two connector prongs that the factory harness had. i think wvuviv30 mentioned that in his post. could these be for those speakers? has anyone had this problem and been able to resolve it?