Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

EQ settings on HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQ settings on HU

I gotta Alpine CDA-???? and it has the different EQ settings that I just cannot figure out. Anyone know what the "Q" adjustment is? I just set them with the radio turned up and see which setting sounds the best without distortion. I just installed new Alpine 4" front speakers last night and got them sounding ok after about an hour of adjusting. Anyone have a similar HU with the EQ settings? I have pretty much distinguished the bass frequencies on up.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:41 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a CDA-9847, and don't use the EQ. IMHO, it's VERY difficult to set a fully parametric EQ without an RTA (wish I still had mine ).

It's been a while, but IIRC, Q is the width of the affected band. I think higher Q makes the EQ more specific (affects a narrower range of frequencies), while lower makes it affect a broader range.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
I have a CDA-9847, and don't use the EQ. IMHO, it's VERY difficult to set a fully parametric EQ without an RTA (wish I still had mine ).

It's been a while, but IIRC, Q is the width of the affected band. I think higher Q makes the EQ more specific (affects a narrower range of frequencies), while lower makes it affect a broader range.
That EQ is such a pain! Just when ya think you have it set right then a different cd sounds crappy!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah - that's always been my opinion of full parametric EQ's. Never used them in competition either...They're better in theory because you only affect the range you need to, but their extreme flexibility makes them a PITA
Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Q, in a quick explantion is how WIDE, or how much bands are affected by the boost or cut.

for example, on a standard 30 band EQ, you have bands on 30, 45, 60, 90, etc.

if you boost on on the 30 Hz, you only affect that band. it could have a skinny Q (less than 1, IIRC).

now on a parametric EQ, you not only adjust how much you boost or cut, but what center and how wide.

so you wanna boost the 500 Hz range, it might affect from 250 to 750. maybe even wider.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by callmej75
I gotta Alpine CDA-???? and it has the different EQ settings that I just cannot figure out. Anyone know what the "Q" adjustment is? I just set them with the radio turned up and see which setting sounds the best without distortion. I just installed new Alpine 4" front speakers last night and got them sounding ok after about an hour of adjusting. Anyone have a similar HU with the EQ settings? I have pretty much distinguished the bass frequencies on up.
Each of the decks are slightly different.... Got a pic of the deck? It should also have the model on the front of the unit itself in small text.

As alluded to below the Q on the parametric EQ is merely how wide or narrow the change you are inducing to the responce at a set frequnecy. This is a HUGE confuser IF you dont have a screen to show what is going on like my 9835 (last years flagship deck) or the current 9855 (this year's flagship deck.) You should have a total of 5 bands, and in each of these bands you can only induce one change (irritating to me.)

Keep playing with your EQ using a GOOD cd. Something recorded EXTREMELY well. All cd's are NOT created equal. One of the BEST two CDs I use are "California Project: beach boys" and "The Digital Domain" and also the periodic DDD recorded telark classical cd's. Learning to hear the changes the EQ imparts is difficult and takes time, but after you learn what frequencies on the deck correspond to what you are hearing, you'll be able to adjust them in no time....

Now im to the point were Im using the time correction to play around with the sound stage. Oddly enough only a 2ms delay on the left is all I need to perfectly center the stage....however individual instruments tend to shift their positions on the stage when I do this... this all points to my kicks, but dizzam I love how my 6.5s will drop to and actually put out a hell of a lot of midbass! (X-overed at 53hz 24db/octave cut)

ok rambling....lol
Old 01-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Each of the decks are slightly different.... Got a pic of the deck? It should also have the model on the front of the unit itself in small text.

As alluded to below the Q on the parametric EQ is merely how wide or narrow the change you are inducing to the responce at a set frequnecy. This is a HUGE confuser IF you dont have a screen to show what is going on like my 9835 (last years flagship deck) or the current 9855 (this year's flagship deck.) You should have a total of 5 bands, and in each of these bands you can only induce one change (irritating to me.)

Keep playing with your EQ using a GOOD cd. Something recorded EXTREMELY well. All cd's are NOT created equal. One of the BEST two CDs I use are "California Project: beach boys" and "The Digital Domain" and also the periodic DDD recorded telark classical cd's. Learning to hear the changes the EQ imparts is difficult and takes time, but after you learn what frequencies on the deck correspond to what you are hearing, you'll be able to adjust them in no time....

Now im to the point were Im using the time correction to play around with the sound stage. Oddly enough only a 2ms delay on the left is all I need to perfectly center the stage....however individual instruments tend to shift their positions on the stage when I do this... this all points to my kicks, but dizzam I love how my 6.5s will drop to and actually put out a hell of a lot of midbass! (X-overed at 53hz 24db/octave cut)

ok rambling....lol
Oh yeh I remember the Q setting now when I used to have my old V12 amp. Yeh I've been teetering from different cd's and it is just different from each one. I've got a 3ms delay on the right. Will have to play with that too. Thanks bumpin...appreciate the info!