Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Dad Needing Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dad Needing Help Please!!

Installed a Sony CDX-F5705 head unit in sons 4Runner. After installing, when unit is playing CD's only getting sound from front speakers. On TUNER setting get sound out of front & rear speakers. Even went out and bought another unit exactly like this one thinking my unit was bad but same thing. I used a plug adapter that plugs right into the Toyota plugs. PLEASE, PLEASE someone have a solution. I will be eternally grateful. THis one stumps me.

Thanks,

DJ
Old 10-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

This may sound stupid, but did you make sure the fader was not only on the front in CD mode? I know that my sony's can have a sound setting for AM/FM and another for CD.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:35 PM

Travis,

After re-reading your post I got to wondering what you said. Are you saying that there is a bal/fade each for tuner/CD/aux?

Thanks,

DJ
Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, you can set the fad/balance for each mode: AM/FM, CD, AUX.

Since you are getting sound on AM/FM, the wiring is correct, it has got to do with the settings.

Are you running an amp to power a sub, or is it just powering the stock speakers?
Old 10-25-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm with punk...it's gotta do with the settings in cd mode. If it were wiring then you wouldn't get sound no matter what mode you were in
Old 10-25-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by diverjeff200
Installed a Sony CDX-F5705 head unit in sons 4Runner. After installing, when unit is playing CD's only getting sound from front speakers. On TUNER setting get sound out of front & rear speakers. Even went out and bought another unit exactly like this one thinking my unit was bad but same thing. I used a plug adapter that plugs right into the Toyota plugs. PLEASE, PLEASE someone have a solution. I will be eternally grateful. THis one stumps me.

Thanks,

DJ
Hi ya -- I just went through this a few weeks ago with my '95 -- it's the wires that go to the power antenna and Toyota's internal amp. Many radio manufacturers design their radios with a single “remote on” wire (blue or blue with a white stripe) also referred to as a power antenna wire. This wire is designed as a multi-function wire that can be used to turn on/off either a power antenna or turn on/off an amplifier in the vehicle. BUT, some new radios have MULTIPLE “remote on” wires. These multiple remote on wires are dedicated specifically to a particular function: one wire is for a power antenna only, whereas a second wire may be used to turn on/off an amplifier only. These wires will be individually labeled noting what each wires function is.

If your new radio has multiple “remote on” wires and only the “power antenna only” wire is connected, then the Toyota amplifier in the vehicle will turn on ONLY when the AM/FM radio is turned on (the radio will only turn on/off the power antenna through the “power antenna only” remote on wire when the AM/FM radio is turned on.) BUT, if you connect the new radio's “amplifier only” wire, then the Toyota amplifier will operate all the time: radio, cassette, CD, etc. This “amplifier only” wire operates during the entire time the new radio is in operation. The “power antenna only” wire only operates while the AM/FM radio is turned on.

Are you using a snap-on wiring harness adapter to go from the Toyota wiring harness to the Sony harness? I had one orginally for mine (but a JVC) and ended up cutting it out and going direct. The problem (for mine anyway) was that the Black/Red and Pink/Blue wires were connected together and attached to the power antenna wire (blue). This left the head unit's blue/white wire essentially stranded (this is what connects to the Toyota's internal amp and drives the rear speaks). :cry:

I apologize that I don't remember which one went was for which, but you can easily test which is which: Connect one of the two Toyota wires in question (black/red for example) to the blue head unit (pwr antenna) wire and connect the head unit. (All other power/grnd/speaker wires are properly attached of course.) Turn on radio -- antenna goes up? Turn to CD -- antenna goes down? If that's what happens, that's the correct connection -- if not, connect the other (pink/blue) wire to the blue wire.

End result is all speakers will work all the time and the antenna will go up only when the radio is on.

Anyway, hope that helps and drop me a PM if you need clarification...
-Paul
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

So you went from your deck to the toyota amp? Why did you do that? The tuner's output will be more than the toyota amp will put out...