Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

conflict with multiple amps? 2nd gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John101477
hey Texas. The "plastic boxes" he is talking about are called baffles. they are for your mids. they are really a good idea for a few reasons. 1 helps keep dust out of the speaker motor giving it a longer life. 2, they help increase the midbase by giving the speaker an air base rather than free air, also giving you a cleaner sound. here is amazons link so you can check them out. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7dxdjc02kw_b
I was thinking about those, but read some bad reviews off of crutchfield.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Yeah I felt the same way about the import show (HIN) in San Metao Ca. it was cool but not the best. You have to go to the big Sema show for it to be good. I hear ya on the rust and glass man. I was building a three sub fiberglass inclosure that fit into the spare of a honda accord shaped like a bio-hazzard symbol (what a pain in the rear) I spent a lot of time on this because it was in a show car so sanding and making sure there were no imperfections was a pain. I was itchin for a few weeks.

yeah sorry texas fo jackin ur thread hope i have been of some help though
Oh yeah, it's all good. You did help me out quite a bit to make up my mind in what I wanted to do. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Yeah I felt the same way about the import show (HIN) in San Metao Ca. it was cool but not the best. You have to go to the big Sema show for it to be good. I hear ya on the rust and glass man. I was building a three sub fiberglass inclosure that fit into the spare of a honda accord shaped like a bio-hazzard symbol (what a pain in the rear) I spent a lot of time on this because it was in a show car so sanding and making sure there were no imperfections was a pain. I was itchin for a few weeks.

yeah sorry texas fo jackin ur thread hope i have been of some help though
Yeah most cars at smaller shows have what I call a 20/20 system. It looks good from about 20 ft away for about 20 seconds and usually sounds like a$$. When I had my system in my truck, it didn't really look good(I rushed it), but it sounded better than most SQ comp cars in my area and I only had two 6-1/2 components and a 10" sub.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

they are still baffles (because they are not free air) and yes they do work texas. I have been looking for a new set myself.

Yota sounds like me - had a 91 nissan standard cab with a set of seperates and a single 12. It took me a year just to carpet the dang thing, then some jack hole with a nissan seen it, listened to it and bought the sub setup for $800. which paid for my amp for my next system lol.
I totally agree with the 20/20 system. did yo ever see or read about that vette that fishman did? had the pop out tv screen and all that? he turned it on during the setup of CES and i tell you it was one of the most rattle can sounding POS I ever seen. Now the MTX Escalade was bad A$$ with the stripper pole and DJ booth. Kinda sucked that i didn't get to work on that one, by far the best system they ever used for the show.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM

nah didn't hear about the vette. At school I worked with "Fishman" from Fishman Fab. They do all or most the cars for Alpine. He offered me a job, but I don't live Cali, I'm on the other side of the country.
For my new system I planning on two 8" Kicker Solo Classics between the seats with a 550/2. I think Kicker makes some of best sounding subs out there. I have Powerbass components now and surprising they sound awesome so I'll run them til I can afford nice Kickers or JLs But since I need to pay for my DH race bike, a new system has to wait.

Last edited by yotakid825; 03-28-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM

yeah from what i hear Fishman and his crew are usually top men like Tom Gazda and the guys out in AZ ( Tom Gazda actually co-created the MECP tests). The system looked tight but just couldn't perform. they sank $40,000 into that system alone and it about killed them when it failed to produce. Powerbase may not be high end but it sure delivers. After I left Contagious Motorsports in Chico, a guy I had worked with before took my place and brought in Powerbase. He ran 2 Pb 15's in a honda hatch stripped down and hit 175.3 just shy of the old world record of 175.8 by kicker
Old 03-28-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by yotakid825
nah didn't hear about the vette. At school I worked with "Fishman" from Fishman Fab. They do all or most the cars for Alpine. He offered me a job, but I don't live Cali, I'm on the other side of the country.
For my new system I planning on two 8" Kicker Solo Classics between the seats with a 550/2. I think Kicker makes some of best sounding subs out there. I have Powerbass components now and surprising they sound awesome so I'll run them til I can afford nice Kickers or JLs But since I need to pay for my DH race bike, a new system has to wait.
i have run a kciker L7 8" in a slot port box in a few of my dailys and i am more than blown away with how it performs. i contantly have passengers asking me if its two tens. i love kicker speakers they are great, i was turned on to them at the ocean city maryland car show when they brought there 18 wheeler to haul there show cars and the front of the trailer was a small demo room. they had two sets of kicker ss 6.5 components and a kicker L5 10 on a kicker 5 ch amp and it was one of the most amazing set ups i heard. i now own several sets of the kicker ss components and a few of the L series subs too. if your looking for them i picked up two sets brand new in the box for $200 shipped per set, not bad considering they were around $1400 new when they came out in '05. message me and i can send you the sellers name if you want. i got the speakers 2 days after i paid for them too.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Kicker does make some great equipment. had a buddy cpled 2 solobaric L7 12's with a huge Zapco, before zapco got bought out, and they sounded awesome. I won't say they are my fave but they are good. I spent a day with Alma gates and her team (team gates) and they were running (post world record) 32 solo's but they were built special for team gates. That bronco is amazing for bass!!! They burped it for us a few times and we got to see how they built it top to bottom and the wiring is insane. you wanna see something funny, hook an L7 up to a wall socket (if your unsure how do not try this at home!!!) 120 ac puts out 60hz through an L7 and it can shatter windows in the right enclosure. do not try this with a sub you expect to use again, IT CAN DESTROY IT!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Kicker does make some great equipment. had a buddy cpled 2 solobaric L7 12's with a huge Zapco, before zapco got bought out, and they sounded awesome. I won't say they are my fave but they are good. I spent a day with Alma gates and her team (team gates) and they were running (post world record) 32 solo's but they were built special for team gates. That bronco is amazing for bass!!! They burped it for us a few times and we got to see how they built it top to bottom and the wiring is insane. you wanna see something funny, hook an L7 up to a wall socket (if your unsure how do not try this at home!!!) 120 ac puts out 60hz through an L7 and it can shatter windows in the right enclosure. do not try this with a sub you expect to use again, IT CAN DESTROY IT!!!
thats the easiest way to blow your speakers and get new ones under extended warranty when they come out each year lol
Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
thats the easiest way to blow your speakers and get new ones under extended warranty when they come out each year lol
Hahaha yes it is. But the old L7 was able to withstand it for extended periods of time. JL came out with a square speaker as well that was kick butt. The only problem with it is that it was heavy 1 1/2 inch wall thickness on MDF enclosures.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 PM

I was thinking about a 8" L7 between the seats. How is the sound quality compared to round subs? I have heard a square sub in a while. I wish they still made a 8" W6, my fav sub.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM

I have never been to exstatic about the sound quality of a square sub, either from JL or Kicker, but for hard hitting base they really do the job. I do like the 8in and actually preffer an 8 for great midbase. Unsure on the squares for that purpose.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

I was thinking about a 8" L7 between the seats. How is the sound quality compared to round subs? I have heard a square sub in a while. I wish they still made a 8" W6, my fav sub.
they arent as sloppy as you would think for a square sub. i went with the 8 because it delivers really nice bass but its still small enough to not be sloppy bass in my opinoin you could also look into the ss 8" midbass by kicker, they can be free air if need be and you can find them pretty often on ebay for about $100 a set.

I have never been to exstatic about the sound quality of a square sub, either from JL or Kicker, but for hard hitting base they really do the job. I do like the 8in and actually preffer an 8 for great midbase. Unsure on the squares for that purpose.
it seems to be 50/50 with square subs, either you love them or you hate them. they are definately hard hitting subs in my opinion but there are definately much " cleaner " subs out there, i guess its all in what you prefer. and i definately agree with you that they provide hard hitting bass, no one believes me that it is one 8" until i open the hatch and show them.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM

For all of you M.E.C.P.s

Just throwing this out there, would you go with an A/B class, or D class for full range..
Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Texas91Runner
Just throwing this out there, would you go with an A/B class, or D class for full range..
a/b. is your best bet
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Yeah A/B amps are the best for full range speakers. I would only use a D class for a sub(s)
Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 AM

they arent as sloppy as you would think for a square sub. i went with the 8 because it delivers really nice bass but its still small enough to not be sloppy bass in my opinoin you could also look into the ss 8" midbass by kicker, they can be free air if need be and you can find them pretty often on ebay for about $100 a set.

it seems to be 50/50 with square subs, either you love them or you hate them. they are definately hard hitting subs in my opinion but there are definately much " cleaner " subs out there, i guess its all in what you prefer. and i definately agree with you that they provide hard hitting bass, no one believes me that it is one 8" until i open the hatch and show them.
Well I guess I'll go with two 8" Solo Classics with a 550/2 like I planned. Should be loud and clean
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM

a/b. is your best bet

Yeah A/B amps are the best for full range speakers. I would only use a D class for a sub(s)
I thought so.. I'll be buying a class D for a nice JL.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 PM

What JL are you going with? the W3v3s pretty nice. If you have the coin, get a W6. IMHO the W6 is the best sounding sub on the market.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM

You'd better run a powerful amp if you're going with a W6 or W7!! A 1000 watt JL amp would be good a 500 is minimum.

Quick Reply: conflict with multiple amps? 2nd gen 4runner