Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2 antenna plugs, 1 slot, no adapter made??? wtf..help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 antenna plugs, 1 slot, no adapter made??? wtf..help

Probably a dumb question but I just installed a kenwood deck in my 2000 4runner. Being semi familiar with installing radios I'm well aware of the multiple applications of antenna adapters of many vehicles(most of mine have been that way.) I was shocked to hear that crutchfield did not carry one for my runner. It has a small plug and a larger plug that came out of stock radio. I'm sorry, but that just does'nt make sense to me. I hooked the one I was able to up to the radio(the larger plug was an exact fit) and just like I figured, I can barely pick up any stations. Anybody here had this problem?? If so, how did you fix it? Does someone else sell an adapter? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fast300ztt
Probably a dumb question but I just installed a kenwood deck in my 2000 4runner. Being semi familiar with installing radios I'm well aware of the multiple applications of antenna adapters of many vehicles(most of mine have been that way.) I was shocked to hear that crutchfield did not carry one for my runner. It has a small plug and a larger plug that came out of stock radio. I'm sorry, but that just does'nt make sense to me. I hooked the one I was able to up to the radio(the larger plug was an exact fit) and just like I figured, I can barely pick up any stations. Anybody here had this problem?? If so, how did you fix it? Does someone else sell an adapter? Thanks in advance for any replies.
This is pretty common with most toys. The smaller plug I was told is for AM reception. However I have never noticed any reduction in FM reception when only the larger plug was used... Are you surethat the mast is going up when you turn on the FM section of the deck? That could be your issue if you didnt hook up the blue wire to the power antenna...

If the mast is going up and the reception still sucks I do have a soluting for you. Go to your nearest Circuit city and buy a MET 53VW10 and a MET 40VW20. The 53 is an amplified VW antenna that all you have to do is give power courtesy of its blue wire. The 40vw20 is to change the vw plug back into the industry standard. Cost will be a hair over 25 bux after tax, I have used this little trick to great success in peoples cars to improve reception....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

We have Dual Diversity antennas. Thus the dual plugs. There are actually two antennas on our rigs. One is embedded in the rear windows and the other on the fender. It is even listed as a feature in the 2006 4Runner. The factory radio switches to the one that has the strongest signal. Older Sony radios supported it for a time. Our non-factory radios don't of course. Just ignore the secondary small connector.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Oh...one question...did you hook up your electric antenna relay wire to make sure your fender antenna is extending when the radio comes on? Otherwise your reception is gonna be crap as you described.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i just used the big one and it works fine
Old 05-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidA
Oh...one question...did you hook up your electric antenna relay wire to make sure your fender antenna is extending when the radio comes on? Otherwise your reception is gonna be crap as you described.
hmm may be thats why it dont work i just pulled it up by hand ...where is this wire is its already in the factory harness
Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton
hmm may be thats why it dont work i just pulled it up by hand ...where is this wire is its already in the factory harness
Yes that is probably the issue and is what I was alluding to...

Hook up the blue/white wire coming off of your cd player (assuming its an aftermarket radio you put in) to the antenna turn on lead. I think it's grey, but id have to double check that....