Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

1987 extra cab system install ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 extra cab system install ideas

Anyone got any ideas for a good system to put in my 1987 xtra cab?

I've currently got a kenwood deck pushing 55w each to the following, 2 4" 2-channel in the dash, 2 sparkomatic box things, and a 250w Sony xplod amp pushing 2 8" kicker subs. Below is half of my current set up in the back seat/bench thing.

What I'm wanting to know is if anyone has ever stuffed two 12" subs on that bench, and a 1500w 2channel amp back there to?

I'm thinking about doing that and putting two 4x10" 3 channel shallow mount speakers in between the rear window and the rear side windows, the biggest problem is that I can't find 4x10, 6x9, 5x8, or any other oval speakers in shallow mount. Id also like to make a couple boxes for the door panels to hold 2 6 1/2" rounds shallow mount, in each box.

What do you all think?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'v got a single 12'' kicker mounted behind my passenger seat,and the amp under seat
try http://www.caraudiofactory.com
they have box's that fit over the trannny hump with dual speaker holes
it says for 95-06 tacoma but im sure it'l fit,almost ordered one myself but 1 sub is all i need lol
and that's actually were i got my sub from
Old 03-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the link looking at their products now, any pics of your 12?

Their box for 05 up double cab tundras is nice, bit sadly I don't think it will work, the box you recommended may work for my 88 singlecab, but I don't think it's quite right for the ext cab of my 87, once again thanks though!

Last edited by yeehaw1; 03-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:51 PM

anytime lol
eh,not any good one lol but as soon as i get my truck back out of the shop ill post some up,also check the universal fit boxes and,well for all makes lol cuz im sure there'd be a few that would fit pretty good.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM

I checked it out, they had some that would prolly work, but arnt exactly what I'm lookin for.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 PM

picked these up this past weekend, box is way too big to fit behind seat, so im gonna have to custom build something...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:42 AM

found another good deal on a 12" kicker L7 square subwoofer today, considering picking 2 of them and a pair of kickers zx1500.1 amps up, anyone got any input on the subs, no one around here runs square subs as far as im aware... any input is appreciated!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
picked these up this past weekend, box is way too big to fit behind seat, so im gonna have to custom build something...

NOT too big, I have a gigantic dual 12 ported box behind my seats. You can do it if you really want to, but you have to take the seats out!
I think i'm going to do something else but i'm not sure if I can give up the rock solid pounding bass I have now!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by tmcaron
NOT too big, I have a gigantic dual 12 ported box behind my seats. You can do it if you really want to, but you have to take the seats out!
I think i'm going to do something else but i'm not sure if I can give up the rock solid pounding bass I have now!
I've got a design figured out for a non-ported box, that i can fit behind the seat, and still have room for everything, just a matter of time and money building it lol, and i've been looking for a different amp, a brand i'm more familiar with... i also have to get some mid-range and tweets to keep up with the amount of bass those two subs will put out...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by yeehaw1
I've got a design figured out for a non-ported box, that i can fit behind the seat, and still have room for everything, just a matter of time and money building it lol, and i've been looking for a different amp, a brand i'm more familiar with... i also have to get some mid-range and tweets to keep up with the amount of bass those two subs will put out...
you may also want to look into a better alternator/battery set up if you plan to run two kicker 1500 watt amps in that truck.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
you may also want to look into a better alternator/battery set up if you plan to run two kicker 1500 watt amps in that truck.
lol, that was a while back, the 2 12's i found are 300w max, and a 600w amp, (still plan on upgrading the electrical system a bit, i've got too many other goodies wired on to...) if i ever get the money holed up to get the 1500w subs, i will, but i gotta quit buying junk first lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 PM

I have 2 pioneer 4" in the dash 2 kicker ks60's in the back pannels and 1 10" polk audio. Woofer in a sealled box I has Great sq with enough bass to shake the mirrors
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
10's in an 85

I know my stuff is very old now but I had 2 pioneer liquid metal 10's behind my seats 4's in the door and tweets in the dash. sounded great. I had a friend help me build the box and it replaced the rear bench. It was ported with the amps in the center. got up to 110 db before i shut it down. sounded great. someone stole it though but I will see if I can find some old pictures.
10's were really loud in an extra cab.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 PM

ok i see y'all talking about the electrical system upgrade but I am wandering if the alternator needs replaced? Is there a bigger one available for a 1989 V6 3.0l auto pw/pl/pm a/c ? If so will a bigger alternator be too much for existing wiring?
Sorry just a few questions before I go buying stuff.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1989FourRunnin
ok i see y'all talking about the electrical system upgrade but I am wandering if the alternator needs replaced? Is there a bigger one available for a 1989 V6 3.0l auto pw/pl/pm a/c ? If so will a bigger alternator be too much for existing wiring?
Kind of wierd quoting myself but I guess I didnt asked the right question. Did you guys have to perform an alternator change or anything?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Kind of wierd quoting myself but I guess I didnt asked the right question. Did you guys have to perform an alternator change or anything?
When i had the 250w amp, and the 2 8's, no i didn't...
I now have a 400w amp, and a single 10 in a tube, and i could use a bigger battery (at the least) When/if now that i have another truck i'm working on to be my dd, i put the 600w amp, and 2 12's in there, i'll have to upgrade the battery and alt, i may even have to have a second battery.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM

Wow that is great news to hear, because I didn't want to overload my electrical system. Right now I have OEM speakers with a BOSS 638ba cd player pushing 80watts per ch (4 of them). Been looking around for something like an 8" bumper box but the locals around here are retards thinking they can get 100.00 for one speaker in a box used!!! Sooo guess I'll look into another avenue. I'm really not interested in an amp at this time because I believe the amount of power comin outta the stereo alone should be enough, right?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Wow that is great news to hear, because I didn't want to overload my electrical system. Right now I have OEM speakers with a BOSS 638ba cd player pushing 80watts per ch (4 of them). Been looking around for something like an 8" bumper box but the locals around here are retards thinking they can get 100.00 for one speaker in a box used!!! Sooo guess I'll look into another avenue. I'm really not interested in an amp at this time because I believe the amount of power comin outta the stereo alone should be enough, right?
Price for used speakers, depends on size, brand, how old, how used, etc... Personally i'm with you, i don't see a used speaker as being worth much, but you have to remeber some of these sub's, and boxes are $200+ when new.

The amount of power comin out of the stereo is enough for 4mid-range, and prolly 4 tweeters, but i wouldn't try to run a sub alongside your oem speakers, you don't want to starve it of power, that can tear one up just as quick as too much power, small amps (like the 250w) i used to have a relativly cheap, because everyone seems to want the bigger stuff... but you have to know exactly how much power your speakers can handle too, you don't want to gie them too much either...
Old 08-02-2012, 03:05 PM

i've got 2 5.25 kicker door speakers and a 12" kicker cvr in a custom sealed box behind the pass. seat with a 400rms/1200 max watt rockford amp. i dont have the gain turned up much and it sounds great and shakes EVERYTHING, but ive been thinking of doing what your doing to add more bass! haha but its definatly possible with a custom box and a little creativity. good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:06 PM

oh i forgot to say i have an 86 xtra cab too haha

Quick Reply: 1987 extra cab system install ideas