The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

SteveO's SAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking very good. Just get it a bit lower, which I'm sure your working on, and it will be one unique and killer 3rd gen.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I gotta agree with ya, the lift is pretty crazy. In a vein attempt to convince myself that it isn't too crazy, I have been looking at a lot of other rigs that are running larger tires.
This is only this forum that will constantly tell you how your lift is wayyyyyy too high. Yet whenever I go out wheeling with similar built, i.e. 37" and above I am no higher up in the air than them. I think it is a matter of everybody being used to only seeing 3rd gens on 33" tires with 3" of lift. I say if your using all of your wheel well and handles fine why mess with it.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is an awesome 3rd gen. I usually don't like em real tall, but this one looks good to me.

Excellent work.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
This is only this forum that will constantly tell you how your lift is wayyyyyy too high. Yet whenever I go out wheeling with similar built, i.e. 37" and above I am no higher up in the air than them. I think it is a matter of everybody being used to only seeing 3rd gens on 33" tires with 3" of lift. I say if your using all of your wheel well and handles fine why mess with it.
Trimming and fiberglass fenders can get you a lot lower than that. I could fit 35's without much rubbing with my setup and could probably do 37's with a 1-2 inch body lift.

Regardless, steve's got a sweet runner
Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

I am on my way SteveO...see ya in an hour or so. Be ready to pull out so we have daylight.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you got it! I pulled up at a light the other day next to a lifted 3rd gen on 33s...looked like a midget truck it was still so low.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, there is something to be said about ground clearance, it does make things easier. My truck looks stock compared to the jeeps and trucks in my club. It's just that there is a point where too much height is more of a hindrance than an advantage.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 PM

In part I agree with what is being said.

In part I think it is bunk, but I say so respectfully.

I spend all day almost every day around big trucks. Usually driving rigs with at least 40's.

Jeff, Steve, your trucks are big. There is no two ways about it. Too big? That is purely your call. I am used to big trucks and they are still BIG.

In another month or so, since I drive through Boulder every day, I will swing by with the rock truck. I know it is not apples to apples, but the same tires I bet I will be at least 4 inches shorter. If not, the first round is on me!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

You can do a SAS on the newer rigs, without going tall, here's a good example of a Taco on 37's, I saw out at the Hammers

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 PM

I think height is beneficial if done correctly. Some of what we consider larger or high trucks are also probably running full width axles, which helps to compensate for the extra height. I don't think you truck is too high Steve. From what I can see it looks pretty nice height to me, and the comparison would be to compare you and Schaeffer to solve the height comparison.

Chris
Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
You can do a SAS on the newer rigs, without going tall, here's a good example of a Taco on 37's, I saw out at the Hammers
I am not saying you have to go tall, some people like to others don't there are hundreds of arguments for both sides. Would I like to lower mine 2" or so, yes, but the work and modifications that need to be done to do it isn't worth it. All that I am saying is that this is an anti-anything over 4" of lift forum, which is fine I felt the same way a year ago.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

I'll say it, I love al 3rd gen on 35s and 37s. When I jack my truck up to work on it I dream of it being abother foot taller (with more ground clearance)
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm glad to hear everybody's input, its great to get different perspectives.

Tonight Jim came up and we took it out to the Tank Trap. We put it into the water, high enough to lick the fan, and then started climbing out. One thing is for sure, I didn't air down low enough, as I didn't have my air tank, and didn't want to go too low. But, with wet tires and a very steep climb out of a pond (that really stunk), it was very difficult. So, we opted to take the high road around this obstacle. I had the truck at 30 degress, and it creeped its way through. I was thoroughly impressed and scared. Jim will be sending me pics tonight, and I'll get em posted.

You guys are gonna love these pics. Mud, water, steep rocks, serious off-camber and dark to boot!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

How about this...

Compared to mine:

Unfortunately, it was very dark and most of the pics don't show how extreme it was. Believe me, if SteveO is puckering it's tippy.

The truck performed very well. SteveO did his homework and took his time to build it right. It is very cool to see 4x37" MTRs spinning on wet rocks.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

That is some serious flex. I love it
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM

This is definitely not the only forum that will criticize a vehicle for having too much lift, the toyota section at pirate is big on minimal lift to fit larger tires...go there and tell me I am wrong.
I still say trim the fenders WAY before lifting higher to go up to 37s+
You get out on the hammers, terminator etc with a tall Toyota on 37s with their generally skinny stance and you'll be regretting it.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 AM

Jim, the pictures are all red x's. Or is that just my computer?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ursidae69
Hey Steve, I saw you pulling out onto Trinity this morning about 7:30 and my first thought was: "Good gawd, look at that guy's truck!" then I realized it was you! I would have caught ya and said hello but I was late for work as usual. The truck is looking good amigo.
Yeah, it definitly catches a glance or two. My dad was saying I should put some kinda WWII "Flying Tiger" teeth on the side, and paint some of the bars on the front white, like teeth. LOL. I dunno 'bout that.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
Jim, the pictures are all red x's. Or is that just my computer?
I think that is just your PC, I have been able to see them from two different computers and locations.

Quick Reply: SteveO's SAS