The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

New Ram Tube Injection Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:00 AM
JD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops my apologies, I forgot all about this post,

There's been a few issues since I last updated and I've had to do a few house jobs, which delayed progress

Testing indicated that there were was a bad air leak present and it turned out to be misaligned inlet manifold gaskets. When I had lowered the intake onto the valley, two rear cap screw heads on the vacuum chamber cover came in contact with the gasket overlap and consequently as it was lowered further they pulled the gaskets down at the rear ports. Stupid design.

But after fixing this the a/f ratio gauge still indicated an air leak. I eventually found porus pin holes in the welding on the front section of the cover box. I had decided to test fill the cover box with water and upon blasting air around its perimeter it turned into a friggin bubble bath. I took it back 3 times before it was finally made airtight. Sheeeeeeez, nothing I could do about others workmanship.

But again on startup the a/f gauge still showed signs of a very minor air leak at idle. Aaaaaaagh about now I was getting frustrated to say the least. A big problem was that none of the air leaks made tell tail noises so it was impossible to ascertain where they were and access was not ideal. But I traced this one to a rear injector housing base. Turned out that this section of the top main plate was not absolutely perfectly flat so when this injector housing was bolted to the plate it had tilted a few thou.

During testing I also noticed that my relocated PCV system was allowing oil mist into the top cover and I fixed it by making a complete alloy splash guard in the valley. I also redesigned my PCV air pick up.

During all these I did several test drives and even with the a/f ratio not being perfect the results are just friggin awesome, so I definitely wanted to retain this injection setup.

But it would have to be super reliable for long trips and after a lot of thought I concluded that this current setup was prone to developing further air leaks due to the many bolt holes and gaskets so the only answer was to completely remake it to eliminate this possibility.

Also my motto is if you are going to do something do it properly or don't do it, so there was no point in thinking about it, so once again I've been burning the midnight oil.

This time I used alloy spacers so they could be fully welded to each housing and then welded to the top main plate as this would eliminate 32 bolts and 16 small gaskets. Also by using a thicker main plate its sides could be machined for an O ring seal to get rid of the former 12mm square bar edging and its 12 bolts.

I made 4 alloy spacers and precut them to match the bore of each injector housing but cut them just short of coming through the top. I then fitted 2 small locating pins in each so the welder guy couldn't screw up their location on the housings. Thankfully. I've now found a young guy who is a gun alloy welder.

After they were welded to the housings I then positioned the top plate on the 4 housings and using the pre drilled centre holes as a marker drilled the main plate and bolted each injector housing to the plate so they could be welded in the exact position.

Fully welded and the top and bottom surfaces faced.

Again using the centre guide holes I then cut through the main plate and the remaining bit in the injector housing spacers. Also I made access to the inner base flange bolts via a common cover machined into the main plate rather than use the former brass plugs.

The top manifold is now a complete one piece alloy unit without any bolts or gaskets, . The only holes are the main 8 plus 2 for the PCV and fuel pressure vacuum brass fittings. The three central access holes are blanked by a sealed cover and the main cover bolt holes are blind. The O ring groove is much better as it only takes seconds to feed a strip of O ring rope into the edging.

Initially, I wasn't too happy about doing it all again but it was a wise move as this setup is much better and will be infallible.

I've only just got to reinstalling it but I WILL report later with final pics etc, although I have taken it for a few test runs and the air leak issues are resolved and it frigging boogies, .

JD
Old 07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

AWesome!!! Mad props to fab guys like you JD. Simply Amazing.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:17 PM
JD

OK here's a few more pics

JD

Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I am so jellous.....
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
JD

The 8 trumpet injection project is finished. Whew.

I've been doing a lot of miles but so far I haven't completed a cruising mpg test.

I also added a 70mm US Accufab throttle body and the only issue occurs at wide open throttle (WOT) but its a good sign. My engine currently uses 19lb injectors and the air/fuel gauge is showing that as the injection is flowing a ˟˟˟˟˟load more air at WOT the 19's flow limit is maxing out. It really needs 24lb injectors to obtain the full additional HP increase at WOT,

Considering the flow limit of 19lb injectors is good for 320hp its obviously not to shabby for a low compression engine. It hits the factory 6250 rev limiter way too easy, and makes me wonder what a beefed up bottom end and rods with no limiter would be like. Hmmmmmm. But realistically the object has been to get the engine to operate at peak efficiency for effortless overall cruising with good mpg etc etc.

But it was not hard to decide to upgrade to 24's and the associated electronics, .

The easiest option was to get a mass air flow (MAF) sensor recalibrated for 24's, which would then work with my current ECU, consequently a 24lb recalibrated 73mm C&L MAF and 24lb injectors are on their way from the US.

Alternatively, the only Ford ECU that is internally programmed for 24's was a special unit used in the 93 Cobra. As this factory 24lb ECU would be infallible I tracked down a Cobra ECU with matching MAF and they're also on their way from the US . Whichever system I don't use will be the spare.

The current ECU air/fuel ratio is perfect when cruising and I intend to do a mpg test run to compare both options. Cruising mpg should not really alter with an injector upgrade and at this stage I'm tending to favour using the full Cobra kit. Should also be interesting at WOT with the upgraded injector flow, .

It's been a real brain teaser and took a lot longer to make than I originally anticipated although I did decide to redo it.

I'm very happy with the final outcome and it is a one off.

Here's a couple of additional pics.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Good gosh that thing looks nice John.
I would love to hear that thing.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 AM
JD

G'day Corey

Mate we must we just about the last of the old crew still around

Just took a guy for a squirt and we won't mention what we got to in a quick wot in 3rd, other than to say Toyota's need a bigger speedo

Can't wait to try the correct injectors.

JD
Old 08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Very Clean!!!!!!!!!!! Nice Job
Old 01-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

did you ever get the right injectors.. been meaning to ask you, what headers are you using
Old 01-15-2007, 03:16 AM
JD

Dan

Yep I got some Ford 24lb EV1 injectors but have since swapped to the newer EV6 type. If you ever need injectors get in touch with Bruce at http://fiveomotorsport.com/. He has them all and at good prices.

Only last week I got around to having a guy input some setups for an A9L ecu using the Tweecer and in the meantime I've been using my normal ecu with a recalibrated Pro M MAF to run the 24's and its fine and it grunts .

I've decided to hold off on a complete dyno tune as I'm now collecting the parts to do a rebuild to a 347 stroker. Got the crank on Saturday Only problem is when we did a few test drives with the Tweecer hooked up he reckons with the 347 I may have to go to 30lb injectors as it may max the 24's out

In between all this I've been busy with some other mods

Currently fitting a set of full electric front seats with a memory ecu from a Lexus. Completed a custom fit of a MGW SHIFTER to my R series and have just received a really serious new air pump with two small alloy air tanks.

I had the headers custom made to fit my engine bay.

My prevoius net server was sold and the new company cancelled my 4Runner webpage and all the other posted pics. Pricks. At this stage I'm not sure whether I'll ever repost my page again as it will take a lot of work.

Cheers
JD

Last edited by JD; 01-15-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

a 347 is what i'm leaning towards too. but for now im putting my 302 back together and running it. at the moment i'm looking at header options and have found a few... these manifolds need to go... NWOR makes a nice set but haven't heard any feedback on them. then there are some blockhuggers from summitracing that i may end up getting and make work.. i would love to see some dyno pulls what that new motor ..
Old 01-16-2007, 03:55 AM
JD

When I originally did my swap in 93/94 I used the 1968 style cast manifolds as they were a perfect fit but they got to be a PITA as being so old a couple cracked and it became too hard to find good condition replacements.

Eventually I decided to go for headers and the difference was very obvious by the bum dyno so they are well worth it.

The ecu guru guy indicated that putting the info the tweecer collected while we were doing street testing through some inbuilt program indicates it currently has around 350 RWHP. The 347 should kick it up a tad more I will definately be getting it fully dyno tuned with the 347.

Besides my new injection it now has all the usual Mustang bits such as AFR185 alloy heads, XE274HR Comp Cam, Jesel shaft roller rockers, larger MAF and TB etc etc.

JD
Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Amazing build. Can't wait to see what it puts out in 347 form.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

those afr heads are purdy and i want a set just cant afford them now . i bet it sounds nuts with that lumpy ass cam. you still running single exhaust?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
JD

Drew

Mate, unfortunately my 4Runners webpage was recently wiped out by my previous server so all the details are now currently unavailable along with some of the previous pics in this post.

But I have all the html pages and most pics on my hard drive so providing I have enough web space on my current server I will probably do a major upgrade sometime later and repost it.

Dan

Yep single exhaust, ie both header banks go to a single collector.

Helen recently brought a new camera that apparently can take small movies so when she's not looking I'll see if I can suss it out and take one idling etc and will post it here.

It does have a nice idle

Last edited by JD; 01-17-2007 at 09:13 PM.