The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

hrew v.s. dom marlin rear bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hrew v.s. dom marlin rear bumpers

I going to buy a marlin rear bumper with the tow hitch. just curious how strong the hrew material v.s the dom. Will the hrew withstand towing a trailer no more than 2000 lbs. not very often and what about using a highlift jack if necessary when stuck. I would like to save 130 dollars if possoble if i know that the hrew is fairly strong. what about a good tug from behind if. Thanks guys. sorry if theres a better catergory i should have put it in.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM

I'd like to know the differences as well!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DOM is stronger becasue of the way its made.

HREW is Hot Rolled Electric Welded tubing. If you look at a piece of HREW theres a seem. This seem is the weak part of the tube. This seam is usually paced on the inside of a roll cage of bumper so its less likely to get hit, since its more likely to crease if the seam is hit directly (which can make the entire tube fail) .. Bend in other words.

As for overall strength, i dont got the specifics. It's a long standing debate on every 4x4 forum I've ever seen.

DOM stands for Drawn over Mandrel. I dont get exactly how they make it seamless but regardless theres no seams so its structurally the same rigitity all round.. no weak links... The same force can be applied to any surface on the tube and you will get the same results.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

from a steel supplier website:

Compared to structural pipe, DOM Round Tubing is produced to more exact OD and ID tolerances and better finishes without a seam. Ideally suited for a wide range of structural and bushing applications. Widely used in stressful applications requiring higher quality, uniformity, strength, and soundness.

If you don't plan to really bash it hard and often on the rocks I'd say HREW is fine for a bumper for pulling a light trailer. The DOM costs more (typically 1.5-2X as much per linear foot) hence the higher price for that bumper.

If you really wanna know how its done, instead of welding plate steel into a tube like HREW, the steel is hot drawn between an outer die and inner die which forms the dimensions with much higher accuracy. The inner die can either be floating free inside the tube, or a fixed die. I've seen examples of both ( I minored in industrial engineering and am studying metallurgy for my PhD ). I believe the starting tube stock is usually cast to very rough dimensions before drawning, but I'm not sure on that part.

I hope that helps.

edit, heres another picture with a fixed mandrel that gives a nice view of the reducing effect on the cross section as it passes through the die.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 07-10-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

HREW is going to be plenty strong. Thats what I have I've pulled a 3500lbs trailer with it as well as lifted the back of my 4runner up with a forklift supported by the bumper. I think DOM would be over the top
Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 AM

Well, I have the DOM version on my truck and except for a little fittment issues, I love the thing. DOM is stronger tubing, but I'm sure HREW is plenty strong. I only got the dom cause I had the money and I want the thing to last for a long time. I've lifted the truck up with the Kubota by the bumper and it really didn't even flex much that I could tell, and the protection it gives theose worrysome back corners is great.

Be warned, the lead time is quite long (hopefully they've sped up by now) on Marlin's bumpers, but they are really nice, and I LOVE mine. If it wouldn't take forever to get I'd probably have ordered the front bumper by now.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 PM

well thats exactly what i have heard about taking for ever to get the bumper. I ordered myne tuesday morning and wednesday after work when i got home from work at 6 it was in my living room. No joke. I was expecting 3-4 weeks after what i have heard. I dont know where the companys at im here in redding ca mabye thats why. I have had it on my truck for 3 days and credit card still hasnt been charged. (shhhh hope they dont see this thread lol)
Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 AM

The DOM vs HREW debate DOES NOT apply to towing and jack points. It applys to HARD barrel rolls and endo's in big rocks.

You dont need DOM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr
The DOM vs HREW debate DOES NOT apply to towing and jack points. It applys to HARD barrel rolls and endo's in big rocks.

You dont need DOM.
X2

Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnr

You dont need DOM.
Thank you, I was just going to post that
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Diesel_Freak

Be warned, the lead time is quite long (hopefully they've sped up by now) on Marlin's bumpers, but they are really nice, and I LOVE mine. If it wouldn't take forever to get I'd probably have ordered the front bumper by now.
I had mine within 2 weeks of ordering it, and that was a few months ago. Has their service gotten slower recently? And X3 on HREW, I love mine.

Andy
Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Nah, I got mine about a year ago, but it took damn near 6months to arive. That was apparently during the time of their fabricator switch and they were running very slow/behind. After posting that, I read on the Marlin site that the turn-around time was alot faster. Wish it'd been that fast for me. Nice bumper tho.

Cheers and No Worries

Dave
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

The HREW will dent much easier than DOM though. Dropping off a big ledge will dent and deform HREW tube, DOM will take a harder hit.

My sliders are HREW and have many creases and dents in them, hrew.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned fruitloop

Bumper

from a steel supplier website:

Compared to structural pipe, DOM Round Tubing is produced to more exact OD and ID tolerances and better finishes without a seam. Ideally suited for a wide range of structural and bushing applications. Widely used in stressful applications requiring higher quality, uniformity, strength, and soundness.

If you don't plan to really bash it hard and often on the rocks I'd say HREW is fine for a bumper for pulling a light trailer. The DOM costs more (typically 1.5-2X as much per linear foot) hence the higher price for that bumper.

If you really wanna know how its done, instead of welding plate steel into a tube like HREW, the steel is hot drawn between an outer die and inner die which forms the dimensions with much higher accuracy. The inner die can either be floating free inside the tube, or a fixed die. I've seen examples of both ( I minored in industrial engineering and am studying metallurgy for my PhD ). I believe the starting tube stock is usually cast to very rough dimensions before drawning, but I'm not sure on that part.

I hope that helps.

edit, heres another picture with a fixed mandrel that gives a nice view of the reducing effect on the cross section as it passes through the die.

Just use the HREW, its perfectly strong for what you need !
Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Good ole DOM vs HREW argument. I'll trust DOM over HREW, and chromo over DOM.