The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

C.B.I. Gen 3 4Runner REAR BUMPER Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coues7
Is the CBI bumper going to go into standard production?
What do you mean by this? All bumpers are build on the back-order book basis. You make an order, pay the deposit, then you'll be added to back-order line, when you line is coming it builds, as soon as it finished and ready for shipping you pay the rest on your balance and bumper is shipped to you.
Did I answer your question?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 AM

Updated version #2 is ready and in the warehouse. I'll send a truck to pick it up next week and hope to put it on the upcoming weekend. So next Monday, I'll post up updated pictures.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Version 2 was tested and figment was much better. Several issues with pre '99 and post '99 trucks were addressed. Now the bumper fits both easily.

Here are some installation pictures.

Rear bumper removed:

New one ready to go in:

Additional holes were drilled in the frame:

And ... its done:

There are a few minor issues needs to be addressed, but basically it's DONE.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm sorry lol, i'm just not a fan of a tire rack on the back, no doubt the bumper looks AMAZING! and for something like desert racing or an offroad only vehicle it would be PERFECT!!

but if you were to be driving around and all the sudden stopped to back up, you need to be able to see out of the back, and it's probably illegal to drive a rig with that bumper on the back, unless you take the spare off then there isn't any problem LOL!!

again props for making an amazing and beefy bumper!!! i've heard alot of talk about people needing a good bumper like this...and here it is!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
i'm sorry lol, i'm just not a fan of a tire rack on the back, no doubt the bumper looks AMAZING! and for something like desert racing or an offroad only vehicle it would be PERFECT!!

but if you were to be driving around and all the sudden stopped to back up, you need to be able to see out of the back, and it's probably illegal to drive a rig with that bumper on the back, unless you take the spare off then there isn't any problem LOL!!

again props for making an amazing and beefy bumper!!! i've heard alot of talk about people needing a good bumper like this...and here it is!!!
There is plenty of visibility through side mirrors. And its fully legal on the road. Cargo vans doesn't have back windows and they are legal, so rules saying you need both mirrors which all of us do.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM

state to state laws are always different, but i'm about 90% sure that in Oklahoma ya gotta be able to see out of all 3 mirrors (side, and rear view mirror) and with that big ole spare on there ya can't see squat LOL!!!

once again, i'm not putting down the bumper, or the manufacturer, i'm just giving my opinion LOL.

what's wrong with mounting the spare lower than what it is now?
like have the bottom of the spare be about inline with the bottom of the bumper?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
state to state laws are always different, but i'm about 90% sure that in Oklahoma ya gotta be able to see out of all 3 mirrors (side, and rear view mirror) and with that big ole spare on there ya can't see squat LOL!!!

once again, i'm not putting down the bumper, or the manufacturer, i'm just giving my opinion LOL.

what's wrong with mounting the spare lower than what it is now?
like have the bottom of the spare be about inline with the bottom of the bumper?
Think of it this way, spare is 12.5 wide plus additional distance for mounting. In your way it will be ~2 feet of hanging wheel on the back and will limit your off-road capabilities allot. With current location it right inside of your departure angle and would not touch the ground first in high angle inclines.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

AH! yea, i didn't think about departure angle LOL!!!

guess there is no way around it..besides mounting the spare on top..and that's a no no on an already top heavy vehicle LOL!