Arizona Arizona Chapter

"Romantic" Places in the high country?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Romantic" Places in the high country?

This weekend is my gf's birthday, Forecast is calling for snow in the high country starting on Sunday..I was thinking about taking a drive up there on Tuesday with the Lady...She's never experienced snow (I know crazy)..So I thought I would non-chalantly take her up there and let her play in the snow and then I'd like to play around a little bit in the 4runner...

However, I don't want to just drive in circles, I'm going to propose to her up there and would like to have a destination. I want to just "randomly" stop somewhere to "take in the view" and then surprise her by proposing to her...So..

Anyone know of the picture perfect spot? We can go North to the Flagstaff area, or east to the White Mountain area..

Last edited by chrisbnaz; 12-12-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I cant offer any suggestions...but im sure there will be plenty of places...
awwwwww

Good luck man
let us know how it goes will ya ?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my anniversery we spent the weekend up in Strawberry which is just north of Payson.

We stayed at Cabins On Strawberry Hill and it was very romantic. The cabins are very cozy and, dare a say, cute.

We were there in October and it was very beautiful. Fossil Creek is just down the street too. We also spent some time at Knoll Lake fishing. To get to Knoll Lake you take Rim Road which is a beautiful drive.

http://www.azcabins.com/

They have a lot of pics on their website as well as everything you want to know about the area including what there is do to as well as directions to everything.

We had dinner at the Mogollon Steakhouse. The food was great, but a bit pricy.

Had Breakfast at The Randall House and it was amazing!

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but we had a great anniversery up there.

Last edited by lofreqjeff; 12-12-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should consider the Young HWY# 288. Start on the southern route, near Roosevelt Lake and make your way up toward the little town of Young and then on further up to the Mogollon Rim. Roughly a 1/2 of this route is dirt, but its maintained. There are MANY, MANY side roads and places to check out along the way. Bring a good map and you will have many options.

Depending on snow levels and weather conditions some nice areas to check out along the way are Canyon Creek, Haigler Creek (off the Colcord Rd), Cherry Creek loop, Valentine Ridge....there are lots of options. According to the weather predictions, by Tuesday the higher areas will have snow.

Canyon Creek, Haigler and the Young HWY north of Young...possibly even some significant amounts in the Sierra Anchas just north of Roosevelt as well.

One of the cool things about this drive is you that in a matter of 30 minutes you will go from low desert near Roosevelt Lake to thick ponderosa forests and running streams in the Sierra Ancha wilderness area.

FYI - be prepared for inclement weather up there...1-2 feet of snow or more is not uncommon above 5000-6000'.

Have fun, best of luck. Take some photos...the first real snowstorm up there is always awesome to see.