Arizona Arizona Chapter

Demolition of Charouleau Gap Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Demolition of Charouleau Gap Tucson

Hey Arizona guys,

For those that do not know, the state government and the Forest Service are currently in the process of demolishing the gap here in Tucson. Every major club in the southwest is doing everything they can to get them to stop or re-evaluate the situation. Just thought I would post this up, for anyone who has ever ran it, or ever just heard of it. This was one of the most difficult trails Southern Arizona had to offer, and has been featured in numerous magizines, and even on Extreme 4x4 on Spike. I'll also post a link to Ih8mud, where the most infomative thread has been made on the topic. If we want a chance to save the gap and keep it from being a hybrid-prius birdwatchers road, email or call the numbers on Ih8mud!!

Thanks all.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/land-use/357...emolition.html
Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Charleau Gap is no where close to one of the hardest trails in AZ, you can drive it in a stock 4x4. That being said, it sucks they're bulldozing it into a road.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM

Not to get off topic, but I said in southern arizona, not the whole of arizona. I know there are harder trails. But no where around tucson. So I re-state, one of the hardest in Tucson. And a stock vehical? Its not coming out in one piece. Or it did all of the bypasses.

Back on topic, it still sucks that this is happeneing. What I don't get is why can't we photoshoot and post coordinates. Charles Wells published a whole book on 75 trails in Arizona, and has GPS waypoints to them all, with pictures. I bought it at B&N.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks. I've never been to Arizona, but I hate when the gov't or hippies step in and do this crap. How is demolishing something better for the environment anyway?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
That sucks. I've never been to Arizona, but I hate when the gov't or hippies step in and do this crap. How is demolishing something better for the environment anyway?
Some are saying that it is stimulus money from Obama that if it isn't used it's lost, so they pick some bs project to do. Personally I feel the money would be better spent to help maintain he back to up to mount Lemmon, which gets washed out really bad during the rains and snowy season.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duckie
Some are saying that it is stimulus money from Obama that if it isn't used it's lost, so they pick some bs project to do. Personally I feel the money would be better spent to help maintain he back to up to mount Lemmon, which gets washed out really bad during the rains and snowy season.
Or even better yet, if it's not spent, save it. Oh yeah, that's that strange "s" word that is completely absurd to the govt. lol
Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 AM

"Kiss Rock" I guess that's the name of big obstacle is no more, it have been plowed over.

WheelingArizona has a good write up on it.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
"Kiss Rock" I guess that's the name of big obstacle is no more, it have been plowed over.

WheelingArizona has a good write up on it.
I just saw the pictures yesterday, it's terrible.

Here is a link to the AZ daily star article about the work, feel free to register and comment. We are trying to bring attention to this ordeal.

http://www.azstarnet.com/news/scienc...tml?mode=story
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I find it funny that they say 4wheelers etc are abusing it yet they are jack-hammering it apart. LMAO. Similar situation has happened here in PA with a park called Paragon because the government forced a private owner to give up his land in lue of a stupid cargo airport for I think UPS. Now the off-roaders should know how it feels to be an indian. I know I do.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:13 PM

So at this point, I guess the work they were doing is done, but the damage has been done. I'm only hopig that oce the summer monsoons come it will wash some of the trail back the way it should be. Unfortunatly, they still took out a bunch of 2 foot thick granite bedrock.

Now they are setting their sights on Chiva falls, which is slated me be my maiden voyage in my rig on the 27th. We're takig this one by the balls, and not going to let this happen to another great tucson trail.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Duckie, good work on the heads up about the Gap, wish I had seen this thread sooner tho. I hope enough public input can keep them from messing up Chiva Falls. Have you done the north entrance to Chiva? I've heard its not as rugged and am dying to try it out.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Duckie, good work on the heads up about the Gap, wish I had seen this thread sooner tho. I hope enough public input can keep them from messing up Chiva Falls. Have you done the north entrance to Chiva? I've heard its not as rugged and am dying to try it out.
I've never been out to Chiva, or reddington in general. This is going to be my first trip out on the 27th. With all of the rains, I'm not sure what the conditions will be like. I'm sure the rain should make things more interesting, and the falls should be flowing.

Just back on superbowl sunday there was an accident out there though. Some dude is critical in ICU at UMC. A CJ flipped and threw the drive and 2 passengers out through the top (none were wearing seatbelts) and the back passenger got his head crushed between the roll bar and the ground. They were also out there wheeling alone, luckily a small group was goign out there and found them.

Needless to say, I'm curious to see what the condition of 3 feathers is with all the wetness.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol@ stormin94,destroying trails with imaginary money.What was it that the church lady used to say: well isnt that spay-cial!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Lol@ stormin94,destroying trails with imaginary money.What was it that the church lady used to say: well isnt that spay-cial!
Say What?! Thanks for playin, i guess Duckie, I hadn't heard about the CJ accident, really bad situation. I was out on Reddington sat. and the main road wasn't bad at all, so barring another big storm before next weekend i'd think the trail would be alright. Hope it goes well for you, post some pics and info if you get a chance!

Last edited by Weezer; 02-20-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
They grated it, its practically a maintained road now, but only to wear it meets the other entrance to chiva, so if you were hopin that it would be easier to get to the falls its not.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Hey guys, posted a link to some pics over in the trail photos section. Check it out.