Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Alf

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alf

I'd like to know if anyone with experience ordering online from ALF Enterprises has had a similar situation. I ordered up a Cobra, Firestik, etc. around midday on 3/21 (last Monday). The total tab was a bit more than $150 and it hit my credit card within an hour. I got a pair of emails providing the receipt and order acknowledgement right away. A link was provided for checking the order status. So I check the status and it is "In Process". No problem.

Come late on 3/23 it is still in process. Been the same everyday through this evening. I tried sending a couple of emails last week to get clarification but got no response. Phone calls go unanswered or there is a busy signal. (Last fall I called with some questions and it seems like the phone was answered on the first ring.) I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt based on the opinions expressed by the members here. However, I don't think that this non-responsiveness is much of a confidence builder. I hope this is just a case of the technical guy not following up on the non-technical part of customer care. I'll give them until the end of the week to deliver or explain.

Thanks for any insight. I'll post on this thread how things shake out.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ALF is about a 20 minute drive from me and I've been there a number of times to buy gear. It's a small 2-person operation, "ALF" is the owner (Alvin Foster), and his wife(?) Toni is on the phones. 9/10 times that I've been there, they're both on the phone, so that can be the busy signal. Also, they keep pretty short hours in terms of answering the phone at all.

Maybe a more direct email address? Alvin Foster <alvinfos@gte.net>

Now, what can also be the case is that the product is shipped and on it's way. I've ordered from a number of online sites that simply don't update their status. I can't tell you how many times that I've had the product in my hand, and the company's website still said "in progress". I've had these issues even with someone the size of buy.com and Summit Racing.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that. I am one of the people who has given them a recommendation here. I had good luck with them. It's been over a year since I made my purchase but I seem to remember everything arriving quickly. Hope you can get this resolved.
-Michael
Old 04-01-2005, 01:48 PM

Three more days (Wed, Thu, Fri) of attempts to get through on the phone--probably 30+ calls each day between 9 AM and 2 PM. Another somewhat more strident email to the address above and the regular address. Finally, today a fax. The fax status sheet came up with no answer at the remote end. I think that ALF has fallen into a black hole. If I don't hear anything by Monday afternoon I'm calling AMEX and killing this order. (They can fight out any restocking fee, etc. with the card company.)

If any of you that are local up there happen to be in ALF's neighborhood could you please see if the store is still there and let me know. NO SPECIAL TRIPS! Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

One thing that could happen with such a small operation is that if somebody gets sick or there is any kind of emergency, or even if they take a vacation for a few days, the business essentially shuts down; at least temporarily. I seem to recall some of the local amateur radio operators who actually knew the guy saying good things about them, so I doubt its a case of them trying to stiff you.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 PM

I gave the possibility of unexpected circumstances some thought and (I think) I've been cutting them some slack in the hope that that is the case. However, as a matter of common courtesy and maintenance of goodwill, why not have a notice on the home page saying something like "Due to XXX we will be unable to carry on business in our normal manner for X days/weeks. We are sorry for the inconvenience." That would really go a long way. Apparently their billing and order verification/receipt systems are automated. Just turn the systems off when you put the announcement on the home page and turn them on again when things get back to normal.

Customer care and quality of service are at least as important as price IMHO. I regularly complain about my own employer's performance in these areas even though it is not my area of responsibility. It may not make you but it certainly can break you.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just to clarify here. You ordered on the 21st. Its been a week and 4 days. Did they tell you it would be shipped out right away or that it would be received in a speciried amount of time. Unless they promised immediate delivery it seems a bit premature to be in such a tizzy. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by alanh; 04-01-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Banned

its only been 8 bussiness days. common shipping with business takes easily 7-10 business days, if not longer.... a lot of businesses say 10-14 business days....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:04 PM

No specific date but that shipping would be by FedEx Ground. My interpretation was that the stuff would ship within a couple of days. No other word except "In process" on the status check. What step of the process? This is the first time I've ever ordered anything online where I was left completely in the dark. Normally you get an expected ship date, a notification that this or that is backordered, or something else. If they told me it would be shipped in June I would be fine with that.

I don't think they are trying to stiff me and I prefer dealing with smaller businesses when possible. Just let me know what is going on. Tomorrow is great and so is June but which is it going to be?

Last edited by Grumpy_98; 04-01-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

i looked at their website, and it says it might take several days to get stuff sent out as they recheck it to make sure its good.... http://www.alfenterprises.com/conten...y/shipping.htm
Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 PM

I read all of that stuff, too. In my estimation several days have gone by twice. I may be an impatient jerk but, at least, answer the phone or email and say, "You are an impatient jerK!"

I have to hit the rack because the little guy has an early T-ball game tomorrow. G'night, all.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Banned

its only been 10 business days, thats not much time at all....
Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy_98
I read all of that stuff, too. In my estimation several days have gone by twice. I may be an impatient jerk but, at least, answer the phone or email and say, "You are an impatient jerK!"

I have to hit the rack because the little guy has an early T-ball game tomorrow. G'night, all.
I had these same communication problems with them when I was trying to get a simple question answered prior to a CB/antennae purchase several weeks back. Phone was always busy (I tried both their toll-free and direct numbers) and sent them and email but no response. I didn't expect that since so many YT'ers speak highly of them. I finally gave up and went somewhere else.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:06 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought via ALF, nothing but top notch. Got my junk in like 2 weeks. You paid via CC, so if it keeps going on, just reverse the charges...nothing lost.

While I agree that communication is key, been there, done that, if it really bothers you, keep calling. Mom and Pop shops have to do it all, which includes answering the phone.

Better yet, get w/ someone on here who said they were local and get them to go check on your stuff in PERSON!?

Old 04-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Still nothing from ALF. I would appreciate it if one of you local folks happen to be in the neighborhood would check to see if the store is still there. Nothing out of the way please. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy_98
Still nothing from ALF. I would appreciate it if one of you local folks happen to be in the neighborhood would check to see if the store is still there. Nothing out of the way please. Thanks.
I have to get a bumper mount, and I don't mind running up there.

PM me with your name and I'll ask when I'm there tomorrow.

Sorry for the trouble man.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:09 PM

Well, I have news.

I would normally supply the results of a recon mission just to the contract holder but in this case, it may affect other people so I'm sharing it publicly.

ALF is no longer where they used to be. I drove up to the building and it was cleared out, with no note or forwarding info on the door.

I found the leasing agent for the property and talked to her for a quick bit.

It seems that Alvin and Toni moved out at the end of March, the agent said she thinks it was the 25th. They had told her that they were looking to scale down their business and continue it out of their home. I asked about a forwarding address and phone number, and she gave me this:
Alvin Foster
PO Box 402
Conway, WA 98238
The phone number is the same as I had, and I think it's the same that Grumpy's been calling.

She said that there was an additional note in their file saying that any communication needs to addressed to "Alvin Foster". If you address to "ALF Enterprises" the mailfolks won't deliver it.

Sorry I didn't have better news for folks... Hopefully the delays are coming from them switching operations to their home.

Good luck guys
Old 04-07-2005, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the intel sweep, Mark. Looks like there was indeed a complicating factor. I guess I'll give them through tomorrow and if/when there are no results I'll let AMEX handle it. My timeline for this project has gotten tighter so I can't wait much longer.

On my last trip back east I stopped in at Walcott CB in Iowa. The guy I talked to was helpful and courteous so I guess I'll throw my business in their cart next week. A little bit pricier but, at least they are still out there.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Grumpy_98; 04-07-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Strange this thread came up. I have been waiting almost 2 weeks for my firestik to get here and I'm getting a bit inpatient. I'm leaving for 8 weeks next sunday and wanted to get my CB in before I made the 1800 mile road trip so I would have something to listen to and mess with other than the stereo.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by midiwall
Well, I have news...
Do I have this correct?

Their phone # is always busy or unanswered.
They have not been returning emails in who knows how long.
They are still "taking" orders on their web site which, by the way, makes no mentions of any moving-related delays.
And now you went to their location and they're not there anymore?

Has anyone received an order or at least a communication from these guys in the past few weeks?

I'm sorry guys, but I don't care how nice they are. That BITES!! IMO any legitimate customer-oriented company would take 5 minutes to at least put a banner on their site and send a mass email to their customers informing them they were relo'ing. This thread should be copied to the Customer Feedback forum before anymore YT'ers send their $$ off on what has apparently become a one-way transaction.

Quick Reply: Alf